Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco slowly increasing prices again

Options
  • 26-01-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Ive noticed a lot of stuff i buy in tesco is slowly rising. Cat food pouches is one and also even after the tax reduction on booze, booze is creaping up.

A 1l bottle of tesco scotch was reduced to 19.99 after the budget reductions, now i the past week its crept up to 20.99.

Cat food pouches i buy were 3.49 for 12 and now 3.85.

I havent really seen any price reductions in beer.

Wine.....Well there just seems a lot more promotions, but while tesco have 2 bottles for 10e here, you can get the same wine i the north for 3 bottles for £10!

I stopped shopping up the north late last year, but im deciding to re start my trips along with my neighbours (We take turns in driving up)

We really have had the wool pulled over our eyes!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

And why haven't you noticed any of newly reduced items ? For example I noticed some form of shaving soap that's usually not far off €4 reduced to €1.99.

You can't expect things to remain static.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes but drink was suppossed to come down due to VAT/Tax reductions?They seem to have reduced it at the start of Jan and now increasing it again.

Im not talking about special offers either, many things are on offer, but soon enough they'll go up to the normal price, which is still mch inflated.

Marmite is one product, i love marmite (People will cringe) but i'll never pay 3.99e for a jar here when in the north its £1.79 (Less than half price)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

snaps wrote: »
    Ive noticed a lot of stuff i buy in tesco is slowly rising. Cat food pouches is one and also even after the tax reduction on booze, booze is creaping up.

A 1l bottle of tesco scotch was reduced to 19.99 after the budget reductions, now i the past week its crept up to 20.99.

Wine.....Well there just seems a lot more promotions, but while tesco have 2 bottles for 10e here, you can get the same wine i the north for 3 bottles for £10!

I stopped shopping up the north late last year, but im deciding to re start my trips along with my neighbours (We take turns in driving up)

Still one hell of a lot cheaper than our local SuperValu, I'm happy to say.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

A lot of the new stuff they got in is starting to rise alright - President Unsalted Butter has gone up 10c and they stopped getting in some of the great new home-bake lines too. I stayed out of the North on principle but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That is still €14.70 per standard 700ml bottle which is very cheap compared to other shops.
    Im not talking about special offers either,
    The best offers in tescos are not advertised, I mentioned this in several threads and could not understand it at first. The theory I came up with is that some independent price surveys ignore advertised offers when comparing supermarkets. This is a illogical practise of course, but the idiots in the National Consumer Agency do this. So in one report tesco did not top the list, though they should have.
    washiskin wrote: »
    A lot of the new stuff they got in is starting to rise alright - President Unsalted Butter has gone up 10c.
    There are lots of new brands and they seemed incredibly cheap to me, I often thought it was mistakes. Many have since gone up but are still relatively cheap compared to other supermarkets own brands of similar quality. My second theory is they did not want stuff to appear to be on offer so maybe people would think this will always be the regular price and be more likely to go away from their usual brands.

The stuff is still very cheap in many cases, you could see this in other threads where people resorted to using percentages to say how much stuff had gone up. They knew fine well it was still dirt cheap but wanted it to sound more dramatic, along with the classic line "it went up OVERNIGHT!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Grocery prices have increased in the UK - Inflation in the UK including the return of the 17.5% vat rate is at 4.4% (Financial Times figure)

With tesco sourcing many items in the UK, this inflation combined with strenghtening sterling (current official rate €1.15 / $1 - consumer rate €1.175 / £1) it comes as no surprise that some prices are rising - but if you check UK prices against Irish prices, they still seem to be very close to each other.

e.g. Whiskas 12 pack pouch £3.47 UK, €4.10 Ire. Martell Cognac £21.78 sainsburys, €26.79 Supervalu. Jameson £17.86 Sainsburys, €21.99 Supervalu.

Overall, you may find your trip up north not near as good value as you are expecting.

Most UK prices can be checked on mysupermarket.com

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I'm highly disgusted by Tesco's blatant price ripoff.

I buy soup for my lunch and it has gone up from 29 cent to 35 cent!!!!

Pretty soon I may have to pay over 10 cent per day for my lunch.

Blatant profiteering that is !!!

</joke>

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Went to buy Baby Food on Saturday and it had gone from €2.05 to €2.19 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

newman10 wrote: »

You'll just have to reduce the baby's pocket-money to compensate.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Some things have dropped in price as well. Eg- Tesco value toilet tissue/sandpaper was 1.19 before the change. It went to 55cent after and has now dropped to 50cent. Its all swings and roundabouts just people dont post when things get cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

ejmaztec wrote: »
    newman10 wrote: »

You'll just have to reduce the baby's pocket-money to compensate.:(

Or just buy food made from baby substitute, its cheaper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭lau1247

i noticed that too.. recently i started to take on salad and i bought tesco's crisp salad which were 1.49 and now it's 1.99.. That is quite a significant rise..

I guess it's a balancing act where they reduce stuff (advert everywhere) and creep up prices elsewhere.. where the price goes up unnotice, it'll be advertise as reduce again in the near future.. cycle of grocery store tactic..

In the end they look good and we get screwed! (Majority of the time)

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CringerII

Noticed the price increase too, and today a couple more into the mix and these ones ended up in my basket:

Tescos own brand firelighters were €0.99 cent now €1.09 cent.

Dragon firelogs were €1.79 now €1.99

In both cases that's an increase of over 10% and that price increase has happened in the last four weeks.

Also, Ballyfree Very Large Freerange eggs are normally €2.15 but today in Tescos Maynooth there were two labels on the shelf for the same product;€2.15 and €2.60

I got my 2.60 back for the eggs but am awaiting a phone call as to the reason why the huge increase in Dragon firelog and Tesco own brand firelighters.

Tescos do still have some very good offers like two bottles of 2lt Ballygowen for the price of one.

So you ring to complain about a small price increase and whinge here that you never heard anything back from them yet, but while on the phone to them did you mention how happy you are with the 2 for 1 on the water ?

Jip wrote: »
    So you ring to complain about a small price increase and whinge here that you never heard anything back from them yet, but while on the phone to them did you mention how happy you are with the 2 for 1 on the water ?

Get off your high horse Jip, no whinging just stating.

My custom should be enough reason for them to be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 storybud1

if only people would shop in lidl/aldi..ok,some of their stuff is not the best..but it will give superquinn/tesco/dunnes etc. a kick in the ass and make them keep their prices in line..people power always works..just see how cheap cars are now,coz people just did not buy them.. pubs now give out free food to keep the punters in..cd's getting slightly cheaper..we are the customers..the people with the money..they need us..we do have choices..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

CringerII wrote: »
    Get off your high horse Jip, no whinging just stating.

My custom should be enough reason for them to be happy.

Couldnt agree more!

Cringer dont bother calling them, i did exactly that when the price of red bull went from 1.45 a can to 1.49, then 1.69 and now 1.89 all in a space of 2 months! and I got a letter back saying nothing but thanks for making contact.

And when I complained about a pack of Tescos Finest furry tomatoes to the grocery manager on duty - I wasnt overwhelmed with confidence that they were going to be removed from the shelf.

My quick call to the EHO this morning should at least make Tescos aware that consumers are watching the quality of goods.

CringerII wrote: »
    My quick call to the HSE this morning should at least make Tescos aware that consumers are watching the quality of goods.

No it wouldn't, it would have no affect what so ever.

If enough people did then perhaps it might.

No point in "shopping around" as these problems seem to persist in a number of supermarkets. I've seen (and made the managers aware of) rotten/mouldy food in Superquinns and Dunnes and so far find Aldi and Lidl's to offer the freshest looking vegetable produce, whether wrapped or loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

And how do you know that oh wise one, you seem to know it all - work for Tescos by any chance? :rolleyes:

Because the Health Service Executive don't give a crap what happens in a supermarket. A call to the EHO would be much more affective.

And again there's the tired old refrain of accusing someone working for Tescos because he or she is not jumping on the anti-Tesco bandwagon when they're simply pointing out the ignorance of some people.

Because the Health Service Executive don't give a crap what happens in a supermarket. A call to the EHO would be much more affective.

And again there's the tired old refrain of accusing someone working for Tescos but he or she is not jumping on the anti-Tesco bandwagon when they're simply pointing out the ignorance of some people.

If anyone is ignorant it's the way in which you compose and come across in your posts, which I am sure many will agree on from looking at some of your past comments on threads.

And, my mistake, I meant the EHO rather than the HSE whom I phoned and lodged my complaint with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tesco prices go up and down, deal with it, they exsist to make money not to make you happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭liamwhite

Tesco prices go up and down, deal with it, they exsist to make money not to make you happy

I take it you have shares in tesco???????!! :pac: Of course they are here to make money, they have good prices in tesco that stick up north and they make great money as it is, a few miles down the road they have another tesco in the republic and the prices hike up! why cant they sell stuff just as cheap up north and still make there profit???

Ill answer that for you.... GREED!!!! and dont give me all the import bull ect, because its an extra hour down the road to bring it not realy a huge difference?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

liamwhite wrote: »
    why cant they sell stuff just as cheap up north and still make there profit???

Ill answer that for you.... GREED!!!!
    If you want to call the most basic of business practises -maximising profits- "greed" thats fine, you wouldn't do well in a junior cert economics exam though.

Why WOULD they sell stuff just as cheap as up north and make a lower profit than is feasible?? I'll answer that, becuase they would be utter idiots without a clue of how business works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Gallagher5

Lidl/Aldi only place to go. I was very much of the "Buy Irish" mentality in the past but times have changed and I need to get the best value I can.

I take it you have shares in tesco???????!! !

FFS, are comments like this the now stock reply to anyone not in the anti-Tesco brigade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I take it you have shares in tesco???????!! :pac: Of course they are here to make money, they have good prices in tesco that stick up north and they make great money as it is, a few miles down the road they have another tesco in the republic and the prices hike up! why cant they sell stuff just as cheap up north and still make there profit???

Ill answer that for you.... GREED!!!! and dont give me all the import bull ect, because its an extra hour down the road to bring it not realy a huge difference?!

:eek: Oh my god, you're right!
    I think i'm gonna ring my boss and tell him i could get by on €20,000 a year so from now on he doesn't have to pay me €40,000 a year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

aldi and lidl can make the same money without taking anywhere as much from customers pockets! their prices when they do go up are still way cheaper than tescos lowest price for their awful tesco value crap.

Advertisement