Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco slowly increasing prices again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

foggy_lad wrote: »
    aldi and lidl can make the same money without taking anywhere as much from customers pockets! their prices when they do go up are still way cheaper than tescos lowest price for their awful tesco value crap.

That's great, but i bet aldi/lidl could lower their prices even more if they wanted to, but why don't they? Greed? No, they're just like Tesco, out to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

A lot of stores are now putting up posters like "Our brand products cost 1/3 the price of leading brands"

And with prices increasing, these inferior goods will increase in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Evian/Volvic were 69c, then 79c, then 99c last week. Today's price €1.09!

Note Ballygowan promo €1.08 - 1 cent cheaper and 2 for 1. Clear price maniuplation to favour suppliers that co-operate to their pressure. It's inline with their current "Love Irish" pseudo theme.

Tesco Value water up a smaller amount from 39c last week to 49c.

I see games being played on all their ranges constantly. All suppliers are played along for a while on rotation. The small reduction in value of the Euro was hugely amplified as expected. Also VAT in the UK should not effect Tesco Ireland prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

Tesco tinfoil, up from €0.80 to €2.18 ??? Nearly THREE times the price, disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ando wrote: »
    Tesco tinfoil, up from €0.80 to €2.18 ??? Nearly THREE times the price, disgraceful
    Nope, its a work of genius. :cool:

so long as they never raise the price of a loaf of bread, and have a 2 litre jug of milk for cheap, a lot of consumers wont notice the difference with everything else!
    And people who shop in tesco will marvel and wonder at how their grocery bill is 100s of euros when their neighbour that shops at Aldi boasts of a bill a fraction of that.

When living in Belfast I noticed this problem with the UK supermarkets before Tesco even came on the scene in the south.
    Sainsburys had dirt cheap bread and meat, 2 for 1 offers and the lot. But christ their bog roll was brutal dear. And same for a lot of other household stuff and toiletries. At times it was pick a number from the air stuff.
    But a pound of mince was 99p and the shop always mobbed with people with very full trollies!

Lidl and Aldi though have cheap prices across the board.
    (And affordable quality bog roll!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

you should just shop in asda our shopping in tesco is usually £120 or so but now we shop in asda and its only £50! tesco used to be cheaper but now they are getting really expensive and they arnt doing the cheap deals like buy one get one free etc anymore...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah I noticed this about a month ago about the tesco value tinfoil, the price just over a year ago was 49c, a rise of 445%. Sent Tesco a nice email. General response was: prices go up and down but overall aren't we the best supermarket ever..

The exact same product was and still is 45p in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Noticed a few strange prices in Tesco last week. First was a 1kg bag of frozen sweetcorn. The Tesco Value brand one was 30c more expensive than the regular Tesco brand. The other was Crunchy Nut cornflakes, where the "Best Value" 1kg box is 25% more expensive than the 750g box (when comparing gram for gram prices). I think it was €3.70 for 750g and €5.40 for 1kg.

Watch the SELs closely, especially when sizes and quantities vary, and always compare the per unit prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

Ok I think its only fair, The price has now been reduced to €0.99. I sent an email a few days ago but didnt get any reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

one thing to note with tesco is their intrepation of the scanning code policy where if it scans wrongly they had/have a policy of giving you the item for free. thing is it depends who you talk to in tesco. I had 4 examples of the scanning incorrectly the biggest one being southern comfort that said 20.99 on the shelf but scanned at 22.99. I asked should I get it free and the girl said I must be joking i only get the difference in price after she spent 5 minutes telling me that i should have really paid 22.99 as thats what it was coming up on the system and the system is always right... anyway went in yesterday and bought a box of porridge that said in big writing on the shelf 2.20 but scanned at 3.15. didnt notice it till i checked my receipt but when i went back in a different girl gave me the full money back straight away and said thats whay normally happens...who is right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Whoever is telling you what is written in the big signes the have is the one who is right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The refund + free item only applies after you have bought the mispriced item and have a receipt, not when you point it out at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Yep, always allow payment to be made then point out the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I had 4 examples of the scanning incorrectly the biggest one being southern comfort that said 20.99 on the shelf but scanned at 22.99.

If you paid for it, and still have the receipt, then you can go to the customer service desk and get a full refund. Some employees in some stores do seem to deny that this policy exists, but it is Tesco's policy. It applies country wide, and not on a store to store basis.

Another multi-pack con I've seen is chocolate covered Hob-Nobs. The "Big Value" twin pack is 10% more expensive than the single packs, when comparing the per kg prices. The singles are not on special offer of anything, just another fake bulk buy bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fashionpassion

i still would not shop in Tesco the shop i do in the north for 200.00 sterling would cost me 300.00 down here with 5 kids i have no choice to shop in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

thanks for that. to think i could have had a free bottle of southern comfort from it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Some things have dropped in price as well. Eg- Tesco value toilet tissue/sandpaper was 1.19 before the change. It went to 55cent after and has now dropped to 50cent. Its all swings and roundabouts just people dont post when things get cheaper.

Eh, yes we do.

Click on biz,consumer,bargain alerts. Loads of posts with items in supermarkets on offer, price reductions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

i still would not shop in Tesco the shop i do in the north for 200.00 sterling would cost me 300.00 down here with 5 kids i have no choice to shop in the north

That is rubbish.

There may be a price difference of 10% but not 50%. -

BTW - any chance you would swap your Irish children's allowance to the UK equivalent?

Not a chance I suspect as its 60% lower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

snaps wrote: »

A 1l bottle of tesco scotch was reduced to 19.99 after the budget reductions, now i the past week its crept up to 20.99.

Cat food pouches i buy were 3.49 for 12 and now 3.85.

I believe there is cheap cat food and scotch available in LIDl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

owenc wrote: »
    you should just shop in asda our shopping in tesco is usually £120 or so but now we shop in asda and its only £50! tesco used to be cheaper but now they are getting really expensive and they arnt doing the cheap deals like buy one get one free etc anymore...

yet another false claim totally unsubstantiated by anything.

check mysupermarket.co.uk and you'll find that on a basket of items asda is about 3% cheaper than tesco who are about 2% cheaper than sainsburys.

this bullsh1t that people go on about with NI supermarket 30% 40% & 50% cheaper than the south is just that. Total and utter crap.

For business reasons I go through NI about once every 2 weeks en route to letterkenny - up til early last year I would hove done a fair bit of shopping in the north, but as prices increased up there and came down down here, I almost stopped and at this stage I would do zero shopping in the north as I can't see any savings that make it worth while, not even on alcohol - aso i prefer to have fresh food and tend not to do "weekly" shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

A 6 multipack of Coke cans were €3.09 now they are €3.49 in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Aviva_Lasvagas

I think you can find fault with all Supermarkets - I find Tesco ok for my needs and have done for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭andy winter

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

eggoffer1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Yeah Tesco is really pushing it. Almost all products I buy there went up substantial since they did the close to border price reductions last year. Some products went up 50%-70% and I remember their discount sparkling water went from 39c-49c-69c in 2weeks before put back to 49cents for now.

I think they are just good business people increasing prices every week or so until ppl have enough and go somewhere else. Everyone has a breaking point it just depends on where it is.

I for one start buying more at LIDL again. Yes Tesco was cheaper in certain products when they lowered their prices last year but now I think most stuff I buy is more expensive than before the price reduction.

Just a matter of time before ppl catch on.

Ye're all talking like Tesco owes you something, don't shop there then bitch about prices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Ye're all talking like Tesco owes you something, don't shop there then bitch about prices

agree with above.
    Supermarkets charge prices based on the cost price of an item. If the supplier cost increases due to a rise in the price of raw materials (take tin foil as an example) the price is passed on through the supplier to the retailer and then to the consumer.
    I have worked in retail for 17yrs and have seen how an increase in the cost price of aluminium can effect the price of a product.
    Another huge factor in the cost price of raw materials is the currency it's purchased in. A high proportion of companies purchase raw materials in China but use the dollar as currency. Some companies lock in their trading capital to a set rate of foreign currency but not all so it really is a gamble how much you get for your "buck"
    It's the same thing as heading to Newry and complaining that the exchange rate is only .85c to the pound. You get less for your money but it's out of your control.

agree with above.
    Supermarkets charge prices based on the cost price of an item. If the supplier cost increases due to a rise in the price of raw materials (take tin foil as an example) the price is passed on through the supplier to the retailer and then to the consumer.
    I have worked in retail for 17yrs and have seen how an increase in the cost price of aluminium can effect the price of a product.
    Another huge factor in the cost price of raw materials is the currency it's purchased in. A high proportion of companies purchase raw materials in China but use the dollar as currency. Some companies lock in their trading capital to a set rate of foreign currency but not all so it really is a gamble how much you get for your "buck"
    It's the same thing as heading to Newry and complaining that the exchange rate is only .85c to the pound. You get less for your money but it's out of your control.

Stop making sense, TESCOS ARE RIPPING US OFF!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Stop making sense, TESCOS ARE RIPPING US OFF!!!!

It's the generalisations I hate!
    I don't like being ripped off as much as the next person but to say that it's just Tesco ripping us off is bull.
    Businesses are there to make money and profit - they're not charity shops!
    Tesco ran their promotional campaign last year with the ambiguous strapline "change for good" - and this really seemed to p*ss people off, they felt like they had the wool pulled over their eyes.
    Personally I think it was a great marketing campaign, hats off to their marketing departmen t!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I think Irish was being sarcastic and commenting on the generalisations you mention.

Advertisement