Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco slowly increasing prices again

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Jip wrote: »
    I think Irish was being sarcastic and commenting on the generalisations you mention.

:eek: I was not :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

strapline "change for good" - and this really seemed to p*ss people off, they felt like they had the wool pulled over their eyes.
    Some people honestly thought this meant their prices would never EVER change again. These people should not be let walk the street TBH, they are a danger to themselves if they are that lacking in common sense. It really saddened me to think people could actually have arrived at that conclusion, I gave humans more credit than that, I now know I severely overestimated peoples intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

I haven't noticed any price increases, or price decreases , probably because I finally managed to beat it into my brain that they are just ripoff merchants who do their best to confuse and hide the extent of their outrageous profits... I haven't darkened their door for about 18months

But there is definitely something to them, the GF has to go once a month at least, she says that she finds aldi , a bit depressing to go to every week

And when are they going to cooperate with price comparison websites and iphone apps, if they are providing the superior service they claim then they have nothing to fear...

delop wrote: »
    And when are they going to cooperate with price comparison websites.
    Which ones, I though no supermarkets in ireland co-operated with any sites? are lidl, aldi, dunnes, supervalu, superquinn on these sites.
    they have nothing to fear...
    They certainily do, I saw one report not a comparison site, but a comparison report -dunnes came out on top though tesco should have. They idiotically ignored special offers! they still picked up the items but put the pre-offer price on their list! pure madness.

I have also said time and time again the best offers in tesco are NOT advertised. If you do not go in with a list you can get extraordinarliy cheap offers. I shop in dunnes & lidl & tesco, and find tesco cheapest as I am not a fussy shopper. Certain things are still cheaper in dunnes & lidl so I buy there (e.g. frozen fish fillets in lidl, & lidl own brand beer). I don't see why some people have such loyalty to one shop and despise others -people on here seem to support them like soccer teams or something.

rubadub wrote: »
    -people on here seem to support them like soccer teams or something.

Its not just Supermarkets, I see the same thing with political parties ...

Maybe its laziness , like Ive gone to the trouble of figuring out one crowd and sure they are not perfect, but Damn it Im too 'busy' to look into the alternatives, so ill just blindly support them when asked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Some people honestly thought this meant their prices would never EVER change again. These people should not be let walk the street TBH, they are a danger to themselves if they are that lacking in common sense. It really saddened me to think people could actually have arrived at that conclusion, I gave humans more credit than that, I now know I severely overestimated peoples intelligence.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.
    The same people think they're great heading up to Newry and spend €100 on their groceries and claim to have saved a fortune.
    And forget it cost them at least €25 in fuel to get there and back from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

tesco tullamore mcvities rich tea single pack 1.10..... twin pack 2.69......more of the logic of tesco pricing... and no the 1.10 was not a special offer its the normal day to day price as dunnes charge 1.10 as well.

single pack 1.10..... twin pack 2.69......more of the logic of tesco pricing.
    It is very clever logic, taking advantage of people who presume bulk should be cheaper, in some other posts some people appeared to think it was some sort of legal requirment to charge less for bigger packs or bulk packs. It is very often the case that smaller packs are cheaper, I remember this going on since I was a kid in the 80's, it is certainly nothing new.

I like this practise since the people paying over the odds are in effect subsidising the good offers I get by actually bothering to look at prices and think for a minute. I have said many times that since last year the best offers in tesco are not advertised at all, you just have to have the cop on to see what is good value and not rely on being told -especially when many offers are bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

It is very clever logic, taking advantage of people who presume bulk should be cheaper, in some other posts some people appeared to think it was some sort of legal requirment to charge less for bigger packs or bulk packs. It is very often the case that smaller packs are cheaper, I remember this going on since I was a kid in the 80's, it is certainly nothing new.

I like this practise since the people paying over the odds are in effect subsidising the good offers I get by actually bothering to look at prices and think for a minute. I have said many times that since last year the best offers in tesco are not advertised at all, you just have to have the cop on to see what is good value and not rely on being told -especially when many offers are bogus.

Price per kilo on the shelf edge is my best friend :)

jimoc wrote: »
    Price per kilo on the shelf edge is my best friend :)
    Those listings are very often wrong in supermarkets, I have been doing price per kilo/unit calculations since I was a kid, longgggg before it became standard. I still have a habit of doing it and notice loads of them are incorrect. I am not sure if it is covered by law. If it was covered by tescos "money back & free item" policy I would never have to buy a thing in the place.

I never bother pointing it out, but one day I should really just pick all the prices out of the holders and dump them on the desk, or better still send them into that authority place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

they had sony dvd+r disc for sale 16.99 thats the price they always are , in tesco's last week and there they are on the shelf with a yellow price sticker sayin : special offer 19.99
    where do they get off with this?

I went into Tesco to buy a bottle of wine the other nite, the shelf said 'Lidl Price' the bottle was 8.99 , when I was leaving I had a look at my receipt and I was charged 14.99, I queried it and after waiting for 20mins for the customer service person to come back, I was told sorry We put the 2007 bottles in the 2008 shelf space, by accident, and gave me the difference in price ...

There was nothing on the shelf to indicate 2007 or 2008

Check you receipts!!!

Funny enough Its had been a year and 1/2 since Ive been in to Tesco...

antocann wrote: »
    special offer 19.99
    where do they get off with this?
    most companies use these vague meaningless phrases which have no legal bearing.
    "new & improved"
    "best in its class/range"
    "premium"
    "quality"
    "great value"

While phases like "was €15 now €12" can have legal bearing. I see loads of shoppers in supermarkets blindly filling their trolleys with "offers", they are subsidising my cheap shopping bill so I am all for it, long may it continue. You have to determine value yourself, if you let a sign do it for you prepare to pay over the odds.

gave me the difference in price ...
    I would have looked to be getting it free so, I usually do get stuff like that free. If you spot one do not go right back up, go shopping again and buy loads of it and then complain and get a trolley full free.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

I think you've hit the nail on the head.
    The same people think they're great heading up to Newry and spend €100 on their groceries and claim to have saved a fortune.
    And forget it cost them at least €25 in fuel to get there and back from Dublin.

I disagree - I head up north all the time.

I fill 2 to 3 trolleys and purchase for the next two months. The 25 euro petrol money you mention (which is in fact 20 euro) is irrelevant in my case.

Most people who travel up the north do not go up for a weeks shopping - that’s evident by the size of their shopping trolley(s).

bcirl03 wrote: »
    I disagree - I head up north all the time.

I fill 2 to 3 trolleys and purchase for the next two months. The 25 euro petrol money you mention (which is in fact 20 euro) is irrelevant in my case.
    Do you spend more than €100? if so then you have nothing to disagree with, that poster was not talking about people like you -so you are correct in saying it is irrelevant.

The common "game" I see is people seeking out the most expensive shop here to exaggerate their savings. "I got cheap batteries in ASDA, in Weirs jewellers in dublin they costed 10 times as much". And do not even compare the same exact same product if not applicable -e.g. a lad in work buys whatever beer is on offer here, not in the slightest bit choosey, there are ALWAYS €1 bottles on offer. He goes up north and gets staropramen, maybe 60cent per bottle, he never heard of nor tasted the stuff before, buys it solely since it is cheap. Then goes into an offie and it is €2.60 here so reckons he saved €2 per bottle! completely ignoring the fact he would never have dreamt of paying over €1 per bottle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It's keeping prices down for people with more than two brain celles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

most companies use these vague meaningless phrases which have no legal bearing.
    "new & improved"
    "best in its class/range"
    "premium"
    "quality"
    "great value"

my favourite is "Special Purchase"

Advertisement