Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeawys in close proximity to each other..

Options
  • 26-01-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, hoping you can do me a favour. I'm interested in any proper chippers/chineses etc. that are in close proximity to each other, say less than 1.5km apart in south and west Dublin. Any help appreciated.

I'm specifically looking for chineses close to other chineses and chippers close to other chippers, not a mix of takeaways in general, clear as mud? cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Try Clondalkin, there is about 10 chinese takeaways in the village with a few more just on the outskirts, maybe 8 chippers, could be more just off the top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lucan has the East end take-away and Roma within a couple of hundred metres of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cheers guys, I'm also looking for specifically chippers in suburban housing estates in west Dublin, including Tallaght, but primarily any chippers from Lucan and Clondalkin, hidden in the housing estates that I might not know about (It's fora planning application). Thanks again.

Having worked in a few i can help ya out regarding clondalkin.

In greenpark estate, beside the green isle there is two chippers in the estate, one beside the greenisle hotel in the little industrial park thats a mix of chipper/chinese. In greenpark shops there is the Greenpark Roma.

In Bawnogue there is 3 chippers two beside the swallows pub, the roma and san marino, then the third one coluccis is down in bawnogue shops.

In the village you have two Macaris, a roma and a traditional chipper. There is also a couple of pizza places that double up as chippers.

In the dutch village (woodford area) there is silvios which just reopened.

In neilstown there is two chippers one at the back of finches and one in at neilstown shops.

And my personal favourite is the 9th lough that is in the housing estate in st patricks park directly accross from the waterside, best place around in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MrsNY

There is a chipper at the shope in Ballyowen - Lucan. Its beside the Eurospar and there is also a Chinese, Indian and Italian pizza place there too

• Advertisement

MrsNY wrote: »
    There is a chipper at the shope in Ballyowen - Lucan. Its beside the Eurospar and there is also a Chinese, Indian and Italian pizza place there too
    Ah, I know that one. She is the one who has objected! She fears a bit of competition by the looks of it. The one we plan is 1.4km from her, MUCH further away than many of the ones currently exiisting are from each other. I think she's been too used to having half of Lucan as a customer base.

Thank you very much duffman13. That is EXACTLY the stuff I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

murphaph wrote: »
    Ah, I know that one. She is the one who has objected! She fears a bit of competition by the looks of it. The one we plan is 1.4km from her, MUCH further away than many of the ones currently exiisting are from each other. I think she's been too used to having half of Lucan as a customer base.

Thank you very much duffman13. That is EXACTLY the stuff I was looking for.

Regal Fare is the name of that one. It caught fire a couple of years ago,re-opened but still tastes crap tbh. As noted there's a Pregos pizza place and an Indian take-away right beside it and a Chinese around the corner.

Whereabouts are you planning on opening as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

murphaph wrote: »
    She is the one who has objected! She fears a bit of competition by the looks of it.

It's crazy that in this country the planning laws can be used to stifle competition.

Affecting existing businesses is a reason to encourage a start-up not discourage it - let the customers decide!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you planning on opening as a matter of interest?
    We're looking to open on Balgaddy Road, just after you turn off Fonthill Road, in the old motor factors, there's currently a busy tyre fitter and a mechanic behind the shop. It's a simple change of use and the motor factors used to be a video shop so had a late night use before Regal Fare and the shopping centre it's in even existed!

It's not a new build or anything and we feel the run down shop front does nothing for the area as it is and 5 jobs would be created. We have only had one letter of objection from a neighbour, but ironically it's from a farmer who sold most of his land and upon which is built Foxborough and all those estates around there and now he fears a "loss of privacy"! I don't mind disclosing this information as the planning process is an open one. I wonder would we be able to get a petition of support from local residents, hadn't thought of that.

That would be a decent spot,within walking distance of Earlsfort,Foxborough,Foxdene and parts of Neilstown & Rowlagh. Can't imagine why anyone would object to that location,seems like a good spot for it.

I wish you the best of luck with your application,keep us up to date on how it goes.:)

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    That would be a decent spot,within walking distance of Earlsfort,Foxborough,Foxdene and parts of Neilstown & Rowlagh. Can't imagine why anyone would object to that location,seems like a good spot for it.

I wish you the best of luck with your application,keep us up to date on how it goes.:)
    Thanks, appreciate the support. We believe it satisfies the county development plan to a T, satisfies a local need without requiring folks to drive (everyone knows what a nightmare it can be to get in and out of Ballyowen Castle SC), off street development, requires no on street parking for those that do drive, faces no other property (Ballyowen Park will never be developed), is within 150 metres of sustainable public transport (Orbital QBC) and if metro west is ever built will lie just 140 metres from a station, but the planners are a fickle bunch. I've found examples of more intrusive chippers getting PP and examples of less intrusive ones not.

The council have already refused PP for a chinese in the mixed use development in Rosse Court Hall and the latest application for same has 84 signatories against it! We have 3 objections, 2 of which are from residents of Foxborough, which we believe were entered as vexacious objections on behalf of someone else (can't say anymore or it'll be libel!). Foxborough residents would not be affected in the slightest in our opinion, even if it descended into an anti social kip (which we will ensure it does not).

The council are strange, they want mixed use but then won't grant PP for takeaways in such developments and the residents go ballistic when they are proposed, but I can't undertsand anyone buying a property in a mixed used development if they aren't prepared for such things to go in there. That's why we believe our spot is a great compromise, but time will tell. Even if we are granted PP, it'll likely be appealed to An Bord Pleanala so I wouldn't expect anything too soon unfortunately. If it goes through it'll be run by italians btw, a proper Macari chipper. I wouldn't know where to start making decent fish and chips!

Hi murph, my boss already has a takeaway and has been in business 30 years, no issues with the council or antisocial behaviour, he recently applied for planning premission to open a new unit not far from clondalkin village in a mixed development.

There is other units already open however he cant get planning approved due to antisocial behaviour issues. Hopefully you get what ya want, you will have a lot of competition in the area you are going, but competition is good for the consumers, mind boggling with all the people out of work that they wont allow a start up business!

duffman13 wrote: »
    Hi murph, my boss already has a takeaway and has been in business 30 years, no issues with the council or antisocial behaviour, he recently applied for planning premission to open a new unit not far from clondalkin village in a mixed development.

There is other units already open however he cant get planning approved due to antisocial behaviour issues. Hopefully you get what ya want, you will have a lot of competition in the area you are going, but competition is good for the consumers, mind boggling with all the people out of work that they wont allow a start up business!
    Exactly Duffman, and they are losing rates as well! I understand the logic of planning control absolutely, but the whole frenzy that surrounds chippers is OTT. The same thing happened last year in Newcastle when the butcher wanted to convert to a chipper. He was refused first time and got it second time, same flurry of objections. NOBODY hangs around outside it! Typical hysteria. We could open a Head Shop without any further PP, how ridiculous! Duffman, you mind if I PM you about the business itself?

The Echo says that the planning application has been rejected. Progress for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

duffman13 - totaly agree with you on 9th Lock - by far the nicest chipper in clondalkin - altho rather collect that get deliver as the are so slow on that - or maybe its just im unlucky whenever i ring there!
    but their food is fab!
    the Roma beside the old credit union is nice 2 :)

Sorry to hear you have been refused murph, sorry for only gettin back havent been on in a while with college stuff, Any chance you can appeal again or whats happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Just moved to Finstown and need a good chipper actually.... I tried Roma and the one at Ballyowen and didnt like either..... Any recommendations??? Where is that 9th Lock place? Is it far from me?

niamh4626 wrote: »
    Just moved to Finstown and need a good chipper actually.... I tried Roma and the one at Ballyowen and didnt like either..... Any recommendations??? Where is that 9th Lock place? Is it far from me?

I agree with you about the Roma and Regal Fare. The East End isn't as good as it used to be either unfortunately. The 9th Lock place is up behind the ESSO garage on your way into Clondalkin(coming from Lucan). It's very good and iirc they do deliveries too.

It is facing the waterside pub, in st patricks housing estate it's very popular but a bit out of the way, it's a hidden gem, they do deliver I don't think they go as far as finnstown though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LILA75

The council are strange, they want mixed use but then won't grant PP for takeaways in such developments and the residents go ballistic when they are proposed, but I can't undertsand anyone buying a property in a mixed used development if they aren't prepared for such things to go in there. That's why we believe our spot is a great compromise, but time will tell. Even if we are granted PP, it'll likely be appealed to An Bord Pleanala so I wouldn't expect anything too soon unfortunately. If it goes through it'll be run by italians btw, a proper Macari chipper. I wouldn't know where to start making decent fish and chips![/QUOTE]

because we were told on the day of the sales no take away or pub or restaurant would come under our block. we do not want to be pestered with noise at night when we have to get up early, or kids urinating in front of our Main door entrance or can not open our windows cos of the strong smell. all of us asked on the day of the sale if there would be a risk they would put a take away we were told no only shops retail units. NO Restaurant or take away. Would you like to live above one or would you be balistic if that would come under your home and depreciate the value of ur property or if you could not sell it cos of it???? Well we are annoyed try to put yourself in our shoes

• Advertisement

because we were told on the day of the sales no take away or pub or restaurant would come under our block. we do not want to be pestered with noise at night when we have to get up early, or kids urinating in front of our Main door entrnce or can not open our windows cos of the strong smell. all of us asked on the day of the sale if there would be a risk they would put a take away we were told no only shops retail units. NO Restaurant or take away. Would you like to live above one or would you be balistic if that would come under your home and depreciate the value of ur property or if you could not sell it cos of it???? Well we are annoyed try to put yourself in our shoes[/QUOTE]

This development was taking place on the balgaddy road as far as I'm aware it's not under any residential units! Where is it your speaking about Rosse court or something?

duffman13 wrote: »
    because we were told on the day of the sales no take away or pub or restaurant would come under our block. we do not want to be pestered with noise at night when we have to get up early, or kids urinating in front of our Main door entrnce or can not open our windows cos of the strong smell. all of us asked on the day of the sale if there would be a risk they would put a take away we were told no only shops retail units. NO Restaurant or take away. Would you like to live above one or would you be balistic if that would come under your home and depreciate the value of ur property or if you could not sell it cos of it???? Well we are annoyed try to put yourself in our shoes

This development was taking place on the balgaddy road as far as I'm aware it's not under any residential units! Where is it your speaking about Rosse court or something?[/QUOTE]

Yeah,I thought it was beside where the Tyre place is at the side of Foxdene?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ROSSE2010

I think LILA75 did not like the comment made : residents in rosse court are becoming ballistics about take away or restaurant
    in Rosse Court the retails units are underneath apartments. this is why the residents prostested against it. when the council granted the site to be built it was retail units and not take away, retail = shop. a chinese restaurant has been refused permission by the council but this year a chinese take away applied and permission was granted. therefore the residents feel cheated by the builder as when they bought it was clearly retail unit and not take away or restaurant. and i do understand they dont want to live above one as their balconnies and bedroom windows are very near to the take away. i also think this is unacceptable.

ROSSE2010 wrote: »
    I think LILA75 did not like the comment made : residents in rosse court are becoming ballistics about take away or restaurant
    in Rosse Court the retails units are underneath apartments. this is why the residents prostested against it. when the council granted the site to be built it was retail units and not take away, retail = shop. a chinese restaurant has been refused permission by the council but this year a chinese take away applied and permission was granted. therefore the residents feel cheated by the builder as when they bought it was clearly retail unit and not take away or restaurant. and i do understand they dont want to live above one as their balconnies and bedroom windows are very near to the take away. i also think this is unacceptable.

Ok two new members join in the space of a day too post specifically on this thread!
    This has nothing to do with rosse court if you have an issue start a thread or contact a councillor!

This development is taking place on the balgaddy road opposite the south Dublin football league and has nothing too do with rosse court! Plnning permission has been refused anyway and your post has just dragged up an old thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 casp

that end of lucan badly needs a decent chipper or chinese as the 2 in ballyowen aren't very good at all and you have a really good location I cant understand why people would object to it at all and also the chipper in ballyowen doesn't deliver so we could really do with an alternative

Advertisement