Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking in Slovenia

Options
  • 26-01-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My wife and I plan to spend a couple of weeks exploring Slovenia this June. We'll probably fly Ryanair to Venice and take a train to Ljubljana from there. We're both relatively young and fit and would like to spend a week hiking or trekking although we are not interested in doing a guided tour with a group, we'd prefer to do it independently.
    After that we hope to spend a second week recovering on a beach or by a pool somewhere!
    Can anyone offer any advice or suggest an itinerary?
    Thanks a lot!

Comments

Have no idea, but this might be useful...you may have checked it out already...

http://www.slovenia.info/?pohodnistvo=0

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

I would consider getting vaccinated against tick born encephalitis if hiking/camping. And bring a tweezers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 extremeireland

hi,
    we organise holidays over there but would be willing to give you first hand advice of some excellent routes over there, long distance and as technical or relaxing as you like. My email is keith@extremeireland.ie
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jakac

Here's that link in english in case you can't find the language selector: http://www.slovenia.info/?pohodnistvo=0&lng=2

The starts of most serious hikes are quite high up alpine valleys so ticks aren't such a big problem since you're out of the woods pretty fast. If you're planning to use public transport count on a couple of extra hours hiking to the trailhead so in this case vaccination is a good idea (though not essential - you can minimize the risk by removing any ticks as soon as possible).

I recommend you visit the Julian Alps, particularly the Triglav National Park.
    June is a good time to visit, because you beat the crowds that inevitably converge in July and August.
    Try to go in late June though, most huts high up in the mountains don't open until the last week of June (but it depends on the amount of snow still on the ground - this year is slightly below average so far in this regard).
    Still, there will be some snow up in the mountains, so Triglav itself might not be doable if you don't have snow gear and experience. The Triglav Lakes however will be at their best, so I highly recommend you try to fit that into your itinerary. It's a beautiful 2-3 day round hike starting by Lake Bohinj, going up to Komna, the 7 Lakes Valley to Prehodavci and back down to Lake Bohinj via Planina pri jezeru.
    Sticking to southern exposures is a good idea in June, so Bled or Bohinj will make a good base.
    If you need any gas canisters and such Kibuba have a shop in Bled + they're a good source for maps and guidebooks via their english language webshop kibuba.eu (with good deals on lots of other stuff too).

For more ideas hribi.net has a ton of trip descriptions available in english.

Finally, when you're done with hiking head out to Bovec - the laid back outdoor sports capital of Slovenia and wind down with some world class white water rafting on the beautiful Soca river.

Man, take me along, won't you :rolleyes:

P.S. - price for a lager is 1.80 - 2.40, coffee 1 - 1.20, pizza 6-8

Advertisement