Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 - Belturbet Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

spacetweek wrote: »
    Why is this so important for the G8 - are they all going to fly into Dublin for something on in Enniskillen??

It seems a lot of hangers-on will be flying in to Dublin and possibly Knock as Belfast International purely won't have the parking capacity. Everyone important from a security perspective is going to BFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    The only problem maybe this area as its a very boggy and may require alot more fill than previously thought. But yes..Apart from that the town can be by-passed.

+1, don't understand why that section can't open already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hey;

I may be out that way next week or so, how far along is the Belturbet bypass, or are any parts of it open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Not open yet and no plans it appears to open it anytime soon which is ridiculous!

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/inthepaper/articles/2013/07/03/4016571-ten-million-a-kilometre--for-a-road--a-year-late/

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Not open yet and no plans it appears to open it anytime soon which is ridiculous!

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/inthepaper/articles/2013/07/03/4016571-ten-million-a-kilometre--for-a-road--a-year-late/

Could someone explain what the problem is? It is not really clear from the article.
    Do they have to build extra bridge over bog, one which they didn't plan initially?

• Advertisement

Geogregor wrote: »
    Could someone explain what the problem is? It is not really clear from the article.
    Do they have to build extra bridge over bog, one which they didn't plan initially?

Not sure the delay is myself but people have been saying that there is currently still an issue with the completed bridge where one of the Metal strings on the side isin't long enough and they hit an issue and has caused a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Yesterday I took a trip to Belturbet to survey the current state of any changes to the N3 (construction detours) and side roads (truncations and realignments). The changes I identified are now reflected on OpenStreetMap.

I'd like to request assistance from anybody with local knowledge, though - if you open the map link above you'll see some red "X" markers identifying the extremities of roads that I know to be truncated by the bypass but where I didn't manage to survey the new end point. If anybody can provide me with the information to improve the map, I'd be very grateful. Similarly, if new sections of the road open or detours change I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

I see that signage is up on the North Western section of the new stretch (i.e. the Belturbet by-pass), is there any chance that this section could open ahead of the revised scheme completion date?

Progress on the most northerly bridge appears to be almost glacial.

Heard words from friends that the road is half opened today to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

Heard words from friends that the road is half opened today to the public.

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,18576,en.html

5.5 km Section of N3 Belturbet Bypass between Staghall Roundabout and Drumalure to Open Today

Friday 2nd of August 2013 at 1:00pm

Following the recent completion of works at the River Erne Bridge, the contractor Ferrovial Agroman PT McWilliams Ltd JV have indicated that they are now in a position to handover a section of the N3 Belturbet Bypass between Staghall Roundabout and Drumalure to Cavan County for opening today Friday 2nd August 2013 from 1pm.

This section of road will remove the heavy N3 traffic volumes from the streets of Belturbet in time for the Festival of the Erne taking place in the town this August bank holiday weekend. It will also accommodate the large crowds travelling from West Cavan and Donegal to Croke Park this Sunday 4th August.
    Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport Leo Varadkar described today’s early sectional opening as very positive for both road users and tourists alike.
    “Today’s opening will improve road safety and assist with local and regional economic development. I look forward to the full completion early next year,” Minister Varadkar said.
    Fred Barry, CEO National Roads Authority said:
    “Today’s sectional opening of the N3 Belturbet Bypass is a welcomed development and I would like thank residents and the general public for their on-going patience. Additionally, I congratulate Cavan County Council, our own NRA team and the Contractor for delivering this section of the scheme in time for the bank holiday weekend. ”
    Cavan County Council: Would like to thank and acknowledge the cooperation of the general public and residents of the area but in particular the landowners affected during the delivery of this scheme.

Please note: Cavan County Council would like to advise all road users to take due care and attention on this new stretch of road and be mindful of the new junction layouts. Particular care should be taken on approach to the Aghnaguig Bog Bridge site /Annagh Lake area where traffic management will continue to be in place for a number of months. The road opens up an area of scenic beauty along the banks of the River Erne and Putiaghan Bog and will improve road safety and reduce journey times to the West Cavan Area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Like the lad says, its a Festival miracle so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I've updated OpenStreetMap to show the open sections. But I still lack information on the road numbers applied to the sections of old N3 (I'm guessing R197 for the bit north of where that joined the old road). Can anybody help provide the missing info?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

By the looks of it this is complete apart from one tiny bend at the southeastern end.

Someone get photos of the bridge tonight :D

By the looks of it this is complete apart from one tiny bend at the southeastern end.

Someone get photos of the bridge tonight :D

I have a photo on my phone actually when i was going passed so ill get it up shortly.

Sorry not very clear but the location itself of the bridge...Its very hard to get a picture of it.

Picture attached.

Wouldn't you know it. Road half opened today, I was travelling up on Wednesday and back down on Thursday. Ah well, will enjoy missing those bends and Belturbet itself next time!

Drove on the road today,here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Great video. I actually wanted to ask someone to do something like that but I see you guys are faster ;)

All we need now are some good stills especially of the bridge and bits still under construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Cheers for posting that, looks like a decent bit of road.

I'd say the Donegal fans on the way home from the mayo match appreciated that new stretch of road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Cheers for taking the time to do this, how much do you reckon it'll take of the Enniskillen to Cavan route? 5 minutes minimum I'd imagine, maybe 10 if you are being held up in Belturbet due to a slow lorry. It always seemed to be a town I got held up going from dublin to enniskillen, even more so than Virginia but maybe I was just unlucky. The town itself must be dead without this traffic.

• Advertisement

Cheers for taking the time to do this, how much do you reckon it'll take of the Enniskillen to Cavan route? 5 minutes minimum I'd imagine, maybe 10 if you are being held up in Belturbet due to a slow lorry. It always seemed to be a town I got held up going from dublin to enniskillen, even more so than Virginia but maybe I was just unlucky. The town itself must be dead without this traffic.
    No worries :),It will take around 10 mins of yea as the bends and slow cars/lorrys going into belturbet always slowed traffic down.

The town itself is very much quiter with no passing traffic but i still notice people coming into the town to use the filling station as theres nothing as far as cavan open at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

No worries :),It will take around 10 mins of yea as the bends and slow cars/lorrys going into belturbet always slowed traffic down.

The town itself is very much quiter with no passing traffic but i still notice people coming into the town to use the filling station as theres nothing as far as cavan open at the moment.
    What happened to the petrol station and shop out the derrylin road, beside the restaurant. Went to fill up there lately and kaput

What happened to the petrol station and shop out the derrylin road, beside the restaurant. Went to fill up there lately and kaput

Not to sure but i heard its opening up again soon with new management....When that is...Im not to sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

We used it heading to and from Enniskillen yesterday. It does make a difference, especially coming home with a car full of shopping and that hill in Belturbet with most drives unsure of what speed to up it.

What is the big bridge they are working on at the start/end?

jeffk wrote: »
    We used it heading to and from Enniskillen yesterday. It does make a difference, especially coming home with a car full of shopping and that hill in Belturbet with most drives unsure of what speed to up it.

What is the big bridge they are working on at the start/end?

Its the bridge going over Aghnaguig Bog, Information of it is here on page 16.

Looks like the scheme will be completed before xmas
    The N3 Dublin/ Belturbet Rd will be closed between Butlersbridge and Belturbert to facilitate the completion and opening of the Butlersbridge to Belturbet Bypass/Realignment until Friday 13th December. Traffic will be diverted off the N3 at Butlersbridge and along the N54 Butlersbridge/ Monaghan Rd and the Gannons Cross/ Belturbet Rd (R197). Motorists are advised to allow extra time for their journey

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=50201

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Looks like the scheme will be completed before xmas

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=50201

Brillant, im making two trips up to Enniskillen in the next two weeks. Ready for Christmas for me would be November sometime, not a week or two before it :(

Thanks for posting the info and least I know what to expect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Were the delays bad on this before? Have to head for Ballyconnel from Dublin, this afternoon?

AdrianR wrote: »
    Were the delays bad on this before? Have to head for Ballyconnel from Dublin, this afternoon?

Theres a diversion currently in place which would add about 15-20 mins to your drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

OK Thanks, I was wondering if there was any mad backlogs because of the diversion etc.

I'll head through Killashandra just in case.

Advertisement