Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 - Belturbet Bypass

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Theres a diversion currently in place which would add about 15-20 mins to your drive.

Through a small village and backroads with trucks on them,so expect to see vehicles on the wrong side of the road at bends etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

jeffk wrote: »
    Through a small village and backroads with trucks on them,so expect to see vehicles on the wrong side of the road at bends etc

All the trucks are turning at butlersbridge,Turning at Gannons cross and onto Belturbet, None of the diverted trucks will be going by the backroads via Milltown(Small village).

All the trucks are turning at butlersbridge,Turning at Gannons cross and onto Belturbet, None of the diverted trucks will be going by the backroads via Milltown(Small village).

Well we where up there using the diversion twice and both times seen trucks , with one in front me coming close to crashing the last time

jeffk wrote: »
    Well we where up there using the diversion twice and both times seen trucks , with one in front me coming close to crashing the last time

Haven't seen trucks on it myself but could have been the time i was passing and there nothing stopping them unfortunatly.

"fun" times today on a trip to Enniskillen , as I said the detour sends you on back roads and through a village.

Watch as buses come to a stop in the middle of the road as a quinn truck trys to get around a corner without hitting him or trucks parked on the bit outside peoples housing waiting for traffic to pass or let him out etc

I pray and hope the next time I head up its all done, the last time I went up months ago a bit was and it was excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

when going to Enniskillen rather than anywhere in between, your best bet is to divert via Lisnaskea, i.e. turn at Butlersbridge for Monaghan/Clones and then turn for Newtonbutler after about 10km.
    Its aparantly only a half km longer and its a grand road all the way

when going to Enniskillen rather than anywhere in between, your best bet is to divert via Lisnaskea, i.e. turn at Butlersbridge for Monaghan/Clones and then turn for Newtonbutler after about 10km.
    Its aparantly only a half km longer and its a grand road all the way

Its a better idea to go this way indeed as its not a bad road really after newtownbutler.

283165.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Looks like the scheme will be completed before xmas

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=50201

So, anyone know if the new section opened on Friday? Or did the weather delay matters? Or is there going to be an 'official' opening?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    So, anyone know if the new section opened on Friday? Or did the weather delay matters? Or is there going to be an 'official' opening?

Its open fully now. heard there will be a official opening in spring time when the weather is expected to be better.

The new bridge is great and the road is very smooth with mostly a straight road between belturbet roundabout and to the cavan roundabout.

Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Any chance of pictures of the whole scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Now the bypass is fully open for nearly two months, how much time is it saving on average?

Now the bypass is fully open for nearly two months, how much time is it saving on average?

On time,Not to much to be honest, Could be 5 mins,

On the cost of the by-pass to lives lost on the old road..Its priceless.

Is the bypass on google maps yet? Had a look but couldn't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Is the bypass on google maps yet? Had a look but couldn't find it

You may be looking at the wrong map.

Try here ;)

mackerski wrote: »
    You may be looking at the wrong map.

Try here ;)

Cheers. Your map indeed has it. Google maps do not!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Any chance for some decent photos?
    I would like see those bridges.

Geogregor wrote: »
    Any chance for some decent photos?
    I would like see those bridges.

Eventually got around to taking a picture of the new bridge.

Pics are very large so decided to just keep them attached for people who may like a close up.

Enjoy

Drove the full length for the first time last weekend. Quality stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

May have to travel to Enniskillen next weekend. With this bypass is it easier to get there via the M3/N3 as I was considering doing the M1/N33/N2 alternative?

Google Maps tells me that the N3 option is quicker but I sometimes doubt it's timing suggestions.

• Advertisement

Jayuu wrote: »
    May have to travel to Enniskillen next weekend. With this bypass is it easier to get there via the M3/N3 as I was considering doing the M1/N33/N2 alternative?

Google Maps tells me that the N3 option is quicker but I sometimes doubt it's timing suggestions.

Where are you coming from Jayuu?

Where are you coming from Jayuu?

D'oh. Should have made that clear! From Coolock in Dublin which is why I was thinking about just jumping on the the M1 and going that way.

D'oh. Should have made that clear! From Coolock in Dublin which is why I was thinking about just jumping on the the M1 and going that way.

I just noticed that google now have the by-pass on the maps now. Your better of heading by M3/N3 in my opinion as its straighter and better roads for a good majority of the time. Its also a small bit shorter/20 mins.

I just noticed that google now have the by-pass on the maps now. Your better of heading by M3/N3 in my opinion as its straighter and better roads for a good majority of the time. Its also a small bit shorter/20 mins.

Thanks! Always nice to see a new bit of road as well as I've never been north of Cavan on this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

before the Belturbet by pass or motorway was open I made it from Enniskillen to the Halfway house (at the Phoenix Park) on the bus in 2hours dead, so the quoted 2 hours for Belturbet by pass and M3 is more than realistic even with a little traffic on the N3 part south of Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Cavan CoCo looking to provide "Ghost Islands Right Turn Lanes" at three junctions;

The biggest danger is the Butlersbridge junction even with it's right turn lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Imeacht gan teacht ort

Lethal in a truck, that junction. Ideally, it should be grade separated, like the N17 at Claremorris.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Grade separating the village junction isn't realistic. My solution would be the close that junction and build a new one at the L1511 with 900m new road (which becomes the N54) linking over to the N54 north of the S bend. That would also be a huge boost to the 'Bridge, taking a lot of traffic away from there. It may be possible to do a bridge between the Derrygarra turn off and the Drumgola turn off on the other side, and create a LILO there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Imeacht gan teacht ort

Right enough, I had forgotten that the N54 still begins in and travels through Butlersbridge, and that that wouldn't solve THAT issue.

I agree, that seems like a very sensible plan, although I doubt very much that that would be anywhere in TII's list for the next 20 years or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement