Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I apply for test?

• 26-01-2010 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Been browsing through here and it's full of helpful advice so hopefully someone can give me a bit of useful insight!

I'm basically a learner driver, first provisional and have just brought my new car up from Galway to Dublin, where I live and work.

I've got the plates up and for the past few weeks have been nipping in and out to work (Rathfarnham to Ballymount) on my own (please note: I am aware of the risks, and illegality of this, but I'm in the difficult predicament of working awkward hours and having no-one that can accompany me, and I am eager to get the practice so I can sit my test. I only use the car for work purposes)

Altogether I've taken about 20 lessons, in both Galway and Dublin. As you can imagine, I am eager to sit the test as am not at all happy about my provisional-but-unaccompanied situation.

I get a lesson every weekend. Should I book a few pre-test lessons and then apply for the test? I'm unsure as to whether I need to clock up more hours of practice before I apply, or just apply immediately and hope that I get a few months' practice before I'm called for it?

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

By the sounds of it you should definitely apply for the test but I guess your instructor would be able to give you more informed advice based on your current driving ability.

However, if you have taken 20 lessons and are driving on a regular basis then you sound ready. Remember once you apply there is still a wait from anything from 2-3 months before you get your test date so you still have significant time to get in practice before the test itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

+1 also remember to drive correctly at all times and then every trip is practice for the test.

Just a little advice which people normally forget....
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Hi Cookie,
    I think you should apply for the test because once you've applied you'll be waiting at least 2 or 3 months for a test date. All the driving you're doing at the moment is great for your confidence but in my experience once you've applied & know that a test date is approaching then you're more aware of any bad habits you might have gotten into from driving alone.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭cookiexx

Thanks to everyone for the advice. So by all accounts I need to get that application form in!

I've had my L permit for a year, have been taking lessons since then, but am only driving regularly (on a daily basis) in the last month or so, and thought maybe I should wait until I've clocked a bit more practice before applying. The confidence is still a bit shaky. But as someone else pointed out, I'll have a few months of practice before I get a test date anyway, so no real need to wait!

Thanks again, fingers crossed...!

• Advertisement
Advertisement