Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busted back door - advice please

• 26-01-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,096 ✭✭✭✭

Let the mockery commence...

On Saturday night I managed to lock myself out of my house. I was sober but cold, and couldn't be arsed phoning a locksmith, so I applied a breezeblock to the back door handle, which bent it but didn't get me in, so I took a hammer to the (double-glazed) pane.

I didn't like the door anyway, because it houses a dirty old catflap which lets in drafts and rainwater (we now have no cats).

Now my options are:

1. Replace the glass and the handle/locking mechanism.
    2. Replace the door.

Solution 1 seems likely to be cheapest, but I'll have to spend money just to get back it back to the pre-hammered state, with the drafty catflap that lets in the water.

Solution 2 could just involve a trip to a DIY shop and a few minutes with some screwdrivers. Or not. I have no idea, not having done this before.

Questions:

1. Is the door likely to be a standard size? The house is fairly new (2004).
    2. What's a good place to buy a door? Woodies? Builders merchant? The current door is a sort of mid-brown (stained?) softwood.
    3. Can I call someone out to source and fit a new door? How do I find such a person?

This task isn't made any easier by the fact that Goldenpages is full of "builders" who aren't interested in small jobs. I really just need an odd-job bloke with more of a clue than I have. What category is that?

edit: I'm in Dublin 15 (Clonsilla) btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I'd recommend getting a new door, only guessing here but i reckon it'll cost 8 to 900 euro fitted.
    I know a guy based in Lucan who could look at it and price it for you.
    PM me if you want his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

if its a pvc door ,your going to have hassle ,ya could try getting in contact with the company who made them and seeing is there any thing they can do or recomend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,096 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's a wooden door.

I popped in to a local builders merchants last night and he said that all new build doors are now uPVC, so sourcing a matching replacement door may be tricky. He suggested I'd have to get one made up. Strange that this has changed since 2004. Presumably building regs or some such.

There are hundreds of identical houses in my estate with the same door. Maybe I should just rob one from my next door neighbour, I'm sure he wouldn't notice. :pac:

@eoghan: thanks, I have a man coming round shortly to check out the damage, might get back to you on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd recommend getting a new door, only guessing here but i reckon it'll cost 8 to 900 euro fitted.

I got a brand new double glazed upvc back door & a new window, supplied & fitted in Dec for €800. Door was €300 appox. PM for details. (Very efficient National Manufacturer.)

A softwood timber back door should be easy to replace. A good Carpenter might charge approx €80 - 100 to fit it. Check all local hardware / DIY stores for timber doors. A solid Teak timber back door off the shelf could cost up to €800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Alpha10

Most of the doors fitted aound the d15 area at that time where made by munster joinery and are a standard size. Check out there website for your door and if you see it give them your dimensions for a replacement. Fitting it shouldn't be a problem for a decent chippy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement