Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Makeup for Wedding

• 26-01-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭

I'm getting married next month and was thinking I'll do my own makeup rather than paying someone to do it because I never really like how they do it and it never looks like me. Also, need to cut costs a wee bit. I'm fairly good at doing my own makeup and usually emphasise eyes over lips. So I thought I'd buy some makeup and brushes myself, add it to what I already have and do my own makeup.

I have an armani foundation and ysl mascara both of which I love so I'm looking for blusher, powder, eye liner, eye shadow, lip gloss/stick. I'd also like recommendations on a couple of eye shadow brushes (do I need one or two? I have one that I've been using for yonks) and a blusher or powder brush. I never use a foundation brush so am unsure about one of those. I want to get that lovely translucent effect you see on actors at awards ceremonies and you wonder how the hell they do that.

Thoughts, recommendations, suggestions are all welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Why don't you book in for a make up application at one of the make up counters at a department store (Brown Thomas, Clery's, Arnotts etc) to find out what brushes, make ups and powders to get to give you the look you want? Usually the price of the make up application can be redeemed against what you buy, so you'll be saving a few quid whilst adding to your skills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would suggest the same. They could also suggest some application tips etc that will make the make up last the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

You should consider trying a primer as well, it helps get that 'glow' you are after. There is a thread about primers at the moment so have a look at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

I know i might be shot here for syaing this but the one thing i would pay for on my wedding day would be a good makeup. Its the day you have to look your best and have loads of photos taken. You can get a really nice makeup done from Makeup Forvever or Brown Sugar for about €50..by the time you bought all that makeup you be saving money!

My favorites are Mac Press powder (good so you dont go shiney)
    Clinic foundation - dewy smooth - really light and moisturising
    Kohl - blush and lipgloss

Have a great day either way! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 CiCi10

Im currently studying make up myself and it is very expensive to get your make up done for your wedding nowadays. You should do your own make up if you feel confident in doing so. But to start buying your own brushes can be expensive. ( cheap but great brushes Id recommend are crown brushes you can find them online)
    You should do a good few trial runs and leave make up on for the day to see how long it lasts ect.
    tips for wedding make up is to wear a primer to even out skin and make make up last longer. MOST IMPORTANT waterproof mascara. and do not opt for pearly, shimmery colours for the face or eyes stick to matte colours as shimmery colours look awful in photos so you dont what to ruin your wedding pics!! and more questions just let me no!!hope this helps xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I would agree with Leah. Your photos will be something you will treasure for the rest of your life so I would make sure I had the best possible make up on the day. Professionals can do all those things we can't do so well like perfect blending and higlighting/contouring. This would be the one thing I would pay for over everything else.

If you're buying all those items and brushes in a top brand then it's going to cost you loads anyway.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a practice run first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tellingeye

I would recommend booking yourself into mac on saturday to get your make up done and redeem that off your brushes. They will recommend a look if you tell them that you want to try out looks for your wedding.

I would recommend using smashbox photo finish as a primer put it on before your foundation!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ciaraallen

Heya
    I am doing a makeup artistry degree at the moment and I would love to help you.
    The most important thing for you on the day is to be happy with what makeup you are wearing and that it lasts through the entire day.

For you to get kitted out with all the necessary brushes and cosmetics would be very expensive.You would need a primer as well to set your makeup to make it last.

I would love to volunteer to help you if you wanted.
    Send me a message if are interested.
    If not have a great day:-)

(*c*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sahrs

hiya, im a make up artist but i watch alot of make up artists on youtube that really inspire me. Id like to recommend a few to you.

Pixiwoo - they are 2 sisters from the London area working as freelance artists, they do alot of really good tutorials that are simple to follow with genuine advice. Here is a link to a bridal make up with little hints and tips on what to do and what not to do.. http://www.youtube.com/user/pixiwoo?blend=1&ob=4&rclk=cti#p/u/72/qvwRO8xY2-c
    There are also a few mac tutorials aswell. Another artist is kandee Johnson whos is a hollywood make up artist http://www.youtube.com/user/kandeejohnson.

Brushwise i'd recommend the mac eyeshadow brushes 239, 217 and 224. Use them in the way Pixiwoo do you'll get the best pay off of eyeshadow.

Foundation brushes - id recommend louise young http://www.louiseyoung.co.uk/ or Jemma kidd which you can get in Space Nk, Harvey Nichols. Also aofm which are great value if you want to get a good set of brushes. http://www.aofmakeup.com/

If you want to get primers id recommend any smashbox primers or a hydrating moisturiser.

Hope this is a help and if you want to ask me anymore questions please dont hesitate to contact me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

Seriously by the time she buys brushes and makeup it will end up costing alot more than one makeup session on the day. She doesnt have to buy anyones elses makeup. I know for a fact it costs €50 in Brown Sugar. By the time you bought foundation,blush,brushes etc your talking well over €50. Just my thoughts on the matter. (P.S I'm a fully qualified makeup artist for the past 6 years and I wouldnt attempt my own makeup on my wedding day!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Thanks for all the replies. :) I'm getting married in Wicklow so coming up to Dublin wouldn't really be an option.

I was thinking at least if I spend €100+ on makeup etc I have then afterwards but I think you're all right. It would be nice to have my makeup done properly on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sahrs

Well if you do buy your own make up and decide to spend a bit of money to do it yourself at least you'll have the products for months. Getting your make up done on the day isn't for everyone!! You could book in with a counter for a lesson if you dont feel confident enough but i'd recommend just do loads of practice on yourself in daylight. hope you have fun experimenting!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

my aunty did her make up on her wedding day! Her, me, three other bridesmaids, and her mam. It was amazing. She did our false eyelashes and everything. She was in the same boat as u, wasnt going to pay something to do something she didnt like!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

Kandee Johnson just put up a video on doing make up for your wedding day, might be worth a look if your still thinking of doing your own make up OP :)
    LINK

Advertisement