Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardly a recovery in the UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

In March 2009, when the BoE announced quantitative easing, the FTSE100 stood at ~3500. Today, it's ~5250. That's a 50% increase.

Why is this happening? The markets expect an improvement in economic conditions and are pricing this in. Stock prices can double much faster than output can - there's always a lag in the full effects of any policy to come to fruition. Any economics textbook will state this.

Suggesting the FTSE is incorrect in its enthusiasm is to suggest markets could be incorrect... you wouldn't want to suggest that, would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

In March 2009, when the BoE announced quantitative easing, the FTSE100 stood at ~3500. Today, it's ~5250. That's a 50% increase.

Why is this happening? The markets expect an improvement in economic conditions and are pricing this in. Stock prices can double much faster than output can - there's always a lag in the full effects of any policy to come to fruition. Any economics textbook will state this.

Suggesting the FTSE is incorrect in its enthusiasm is to suggest markets could be incorrect... you wouldn't want to suggest that, would you?

I would suggest much of the "recovery" is inflation. As you well know asset prices increase much faster than general prices for goods and services since you can leverage assets with very large loans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Purely annecdotatal but the job market for IT contracts is much healthier here in the UK. I can't get a PFO at home but I've turned down a solid offer of a permanenet position and a number of unsolicited contract opportunities in the last month.

Advertisement