Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info for Model Trains

Options
  • 26-01-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭

I did this up a couple of weeks ago and asked Fobia to sstick it in the "General Guide" sticky. Since he doesn't seem to be around too much I though I'd let it see the light of day as a normal thread, feel free to add to it.
    =========

Trains

Scale / Gauge

There are multiple gauges but the main 4 are:
    O Gauge - Wikipedia: 1.43 scale
    OO Gauge - Wikipedia: 1.76 scale More common in UK & Ireland
    HO Gauge - Wikipedia: 1.87 scale More common in EU & USA
    N Gauge - Wikipedia: 1.148 scale

List of all scales

Manufacturers

Hornby Biggest most well known manufacturer. Generally slightly less detailed than others and more aimed at mass market.
    Bachmann Probably the 2nd largest manufacturer, very highly detailed models, aimed more at the collector.
    Heljan Danish manufacturer, very detailed, serveral models have had running issues. Produces a lot of niche models
    Murphy Models Manufacturer of Irish models in OO. Unparalleled detail in it models.
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peco"]Peco[/URL] Manufacturer of track, widely used

There are many more more focused on HO and N scales on the continent and America: Lima, Jouef, Rivarossi, Roco, Marklin, Dapol.

Shops / Suppliers
    Both Irish and international, bricks & mortar and on-line.

Marks Models
    The Model Shop
    ID Models
    Model Fair
    Belfast Models

eHattons.com
    Rails of Sheffield

Other sites

IRM Irish discussion board
    Model Rail Forum UK based forum
    SDMC South Dublin Model Club
    MRSI Model Rail Society of Ireland
    Camelot Junction Fantastic UK layout

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Excellent stuff, well done!

Just to point out that, annoyingly, N gauge has two scales for anyone buying from the continent, it will be different to the UK stuff (see the link above for details)

Also to add some more useful links

Peco, the main track manufacturers people use: Peco

Digital Command Control (DCC) opens up a whole new world of possibilities

Another forum that would be of interest is the UK based New railway modellers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dyflin wrote: »
    Excellent stuff, well done!

Added Peco in the list, I forgot about the Dcc/ Dc difference in the original, will write up something short to add in also.

EDIT: why can't I edit the original post any more to fix the wrong bits? Boo urns
    EDIT 2: A bit more info

Power Options

DC

The "traditional" way of powering a layout. An analogue controller is used and power adjusted via a dial. While cheaper and simpler than DCC it is quite limited now-a-days. DC requires you to isolate the running locos from non running ones, or they will simply all run together.

DCC

The newer option, each loco has a DCC chip in it with its own "address". This allows you, via the controller, to select which loco the power goes to and which will move or sit with their lights on etc.
    Multiple trains can be run on the same track without needing to be isolated. Also computer programmable which can allow for quite complex layout to run multiple trains.
    Many older locos can be converted to DCC with some minor wiring chges and more modern ones will have a DCC socket fitted, even if the chip is not included.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭48nico

Heres another forum you might be interested in

http://www.gscalecentral.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Hello,
    just looking for advice.
    Some years ago ,say 7, I treated myself to a pair of Marklin train sets, cost 1,000 euro approx.

lost my attic space some time lateer and now are re boxed.

I am Toying with the idea of re building and extending and detailing in my sons bedroom. I do have a large shed which is bone dry,but of course could/would be cold in winter and therefore condensation woud occur.
    would it be foolish to build there, would my tracks deteriorate? could any such deterioration be averted.

I note from above that I seem to be on a different scale than Hornby!
    Regards,Rugbyman

• Advertisement

rugbyman wrote: »
    I am Toying with the idea of re building and extending and detailing in my sons bedroom. I do have a large shed which is bone dry,but of course could/would be cold in winter and therefore condensation woud occur.
    would it be foolish to build there, would my tracks deteriorate? could any such deterioration be averted.

I note from above that I seem to be on a different scale than Hornby!
    Regards,Rugbyman

You should be able to do this in the shed provided you keep in dray and add a layer of insulation to protect from the cold, also maybe a small electric heater you can turn on a timer for the coldest parts of the year.

The Marklin sets would in all likelyhood be HO rather than OO scale, ie 1:87 rather than 1:76 so slightly smaller. The track should be the same size though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 craftsmaster

Here's the ultimate guide to model trains

"O"
    gauge for "O" is 1 ¼ inches; the scale is 1:48. That same 50-foot-locomotive, in this model scale, is about 12 ½ inches long. This category runs on tracks with a gauge of 7/8 inches and a scale of 1:64. Our prototype 50-foot locomotive is only 9 and 3/8 inches long in this scale.

"HO"
    HO has a scale of 1:87. That makes our 50-foot, life-size locomotive prototype just 7 inches long in this scale.

"N"
    This model, with a scale of 1:160, has a gauge of 9 mm between the rails.

"Z"
    Their ratio to the prototype locomotive is 1:220. Imagine that! This scale means that our 50-foot locomotive is only 2 ¾ inches long in the "Z" scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭48nico

"O"
    gauge for "O" is 1 ¼ inches; the scale is 1:48. That same 50-foot-locomotive, in this model scale, is about 12 ½ inches long. This category runs on tracks with a gauge of 7/8 inches and a scale of 1:64. Our prototype 50-foot locomotive is only 9 and 3/8 inches long in this scale.

"HO"
    HO has a scale of 1:87. That makes our 50-foot, life-size locomotive prototype just 7 inches long in this scale.

"N"
    This model, with a scale of 1:160, has a gauge of 9 mm between the rails.

"Z"
    Their ratio to the prototype locomotive is 1:220. Imagine that! This scale means that our 50-foot locomotive is only 2 ¾ inches long in the "Z" scale.

"G" (G gauge)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

"TT" (Table Top gauge), also called 3mm when Triang made it in the UK, is the size next most popular after HO in Europe and equal in popularity to HO in the Eastern European countries.
    TT is 12mm between the rails, and would be 3/4 the size of the OO or HO sizes. Scale of TT is 1:120

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Dapol - UK outline OO and N gauge.
    Kato - US/Jap N gauge

UK N is 1:148, US/continental is 1:160.

For the ultimate in madness, check out:

http://www.t-gauge.net/faq.htm

That wagon on the right is about 3-4 inches long!

RMweb - www.rmweb.co.uk is a great resource.

SSE

• Advertisement

"O"

"HO"

"N"

"Z"

I think you may be missing a bit of ultimate there...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 MARIA O

Hi Cookie Monster,

Did you mean South Dublin Model Railway Club not SDMC. They have a fantastic set up and welcome visitors by appointment.

MARIA O wrote: »
    Hi Cookie Monster,

Did you mean South Dublin Model Railway Club not SDMC. They have a fantastic set up and welcome visitors by appointment.

yep, missed an R in there....

Hi Cookie Monster,

Yes there is... Those are just the common one.

Carmel

Scale / Gauge

There are multiple gauges but the main 4 are:
    O Gauge - Wikipedia: 1.43 scale
    OO Gauge - Wikipedia: 1.76 scale More common in UK & Ireland
    HO Gauge - Wikipedia: 1.87 scale More common in EU & USA
    N Gauge - Wikipedia: 1.148 scale

O Gauge - 1:48 scale
    N Gauge - 1:160 scale

...some corrections:D

:rolleyes:
    Go back to the US with your stupid sizes, the ones I quoted are correct for UK and Irl as it is an Irish internet forum
    O Scale in the UK is commonly 1:43.5 or 7mm to the foot,
    in the UK in particular N gauge refers to a 1:148 scale with 9 mm (0.354 in) track gauge modeling
    both Wikipedia, but there are of course better sources but i can't be bothered...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Don't forget 1:32 which I model in.:):):)

48nico wrote: »
    "G" (G gauge)

Not very common in Ireland:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Already posted this on the Collectibles & Antiques Forum but here it is again in case you don't frequent that forum. :D

toy-fair-002.jpg?w=570&h=810

Already posted this on the Collectibles & Antiques Forum but here it is again in case you don't frequent that forum. :D

toy-fair-002.jpg?w=570&h=810

The question is, is it worth a visit if you like trains???

• Advertisement

Greenman wrote: »
    The question is, is it worth a visit if you like trains???

No. Is just for buy and sell, no displays.
    Everything there train wise can generally be gotten far cheaper online, may be worth it if you are looking for Irish stock

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Has anyone here gone the openDCC route (building your own central station, boosters, track occupancy detectors etc.) and fully automated their layouts (using a PC)? I'm gonna start building a new layout in a year or so (when we move to a bigger place!) and wanted to start assembling the electronics ahead of time.

murphaph wrote: »
    Has anyone here gone the openDCC route (building your own central station, boosters, track occupancy detectors etc.) and fully automated their layouts (using a PC)? I'm gonna start building a new layout in a year or so (when we move to a bigger place!) and wanted to start assembling the electronics ahead of time.

I suggest you join either
    rmweb
    or
    modelrailforum

Both would be a great place to get very good and detailed feedback on plans. there are a good few members on both who have done that partially or fully.

Advertisement