Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband available for house with no land line in North county Dublin

• 26-01-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't have a phone line and dont intend on getting one due to the sot of the line rental and th fact that I live on my own and I was wondering what would be the cheapest and most effcient broadband connection package available for someone like me who will just need it for web surfing and low capcity donwloads. I hear a lot of the wireless providers should e vaoided as the speed is like a modem. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I think your options without phone lines are UPC or Wireless like Wimax
    BTW, wireless is fine . It might have a higher ping rates and game players don't like this but for web, download, VPN its fine.

I find Imagine wireless perfectly fine. We had it for about 5 years and i thing we had maybe one or two outages.
    695252759.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I think your options without phone lines are UPC or Wireless like Wimax
    BTW, wireless is fine . It might have a higher ping rates and game players don't like this but for web, download, VPN its fine.

I find Imagine wireless perfectly fine. We had it for about 5 years and i thing we had maybe one or two outages.
    695252759.png

If you've had it for 5 years it is not Wimax, most likely Breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the info. Is the monthly cost high with these?

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    If you've had it for 5 years it is not Wimax, most likely Breeze.

I dont know what it was called back then or what they call it now. It was Irish Broadband but they were taken over by Imagine so whatever they call it now...

billyhead wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Is the monthly cost high with these?

Depends on package you want , check their web site for details. They might not even be in your area so you need to check that first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I would go with UPC :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Don't get Ice Broadband :) it is all over the county but has to be one of the worst services I've seen :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

go for 02 broadband its not bad. Im using it 2 and a half years in the north side

cable842 wrote: »
    go for 02 broadband its not bad. Im using it 2 and a half years in the north side

OP doesn't want phone line broadband so O2 option here is o2 Mobile broadband for 20 euro per month

There is a discussion on O2 mobile here :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055217412

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cable842 wrote: »

Not broadband, and not a 1st choice recommendation. Should only be considered a last resort, or if mobility is required.
    I dont know what it was called back then or what they call it now. It was Irish Broadband but they were taken over by Imagine so whatever they call it now...

Irish Broadband/Imagine have 3 different types of wireless Internet access; Breeze, Ripwave and Wimax. They're not comparable with each other, and it's very important to know which one is being recommended. Ripwave and Wimax are not really broadband, Breeze is. Wimax was only introduced by Imagine late last year. Breeze and Ripwave have been around for years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement