Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shocking photo. What is it about?? [Note: Disturbing photo]

Options
  • 26-01-2010 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

has this animal been tortured . I passed it in the van today. In a small forest near Kill. Saggart hill I think the name of the place is.

5AtYjDH0.jpeg

hind leg tied to the gate and blood running out of its mouth. Eyes wide open. fresh. died recently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Did you report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Contact the local SPCA and the Dept of Agriculture and maybe the guards. You should report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

I just don't get it!!! Why would anyone want to inflict suffering on an animal?? What motivates these people completly baffles me.

I suppose if they're caught they bleat the usual excuses, poor background, disadvantaged, low income, addicted, etc, etc, etc.

It really makes my blood boil :mad:.

Flogging is too good for the <snip> :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Jemmy wrote: »
    Did you report it?

i did not. the forestry guys where there. They will have to deal with the horse as it is blocking the main entrance. I assumed they will contact the authorities.

the more i look at it, the more I think it was dead in a trailer . tied to the gate the the trailer drove off. pulling the horse out.
    look at all the saw dust.. Who knows. I was quite taken back by the sight.

poor animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've been reluctant to comment further on the photo incase it starts off a huge and heated debate on animal welfare and results in the thread being closed, but here's my 2c worth anyway.

From the photo above it doesn't look like the horse was tied there when alive and left to die. There are no scuff marks, which would be expected if one tied a horse up to a gate. The blood is running away from the gate, and this, coupled with the fact that there is shavings all over the body, suggests the horse was dumped there after it had died. It was probably tied to the gate so that foxes couldn't drag it across the road, or to ensure that those entering the forest would have to deal with it, or to pull it out of the trailer.

I still think you should report it, though. How do you know if the forestry workers will deal with it in a correct manner (i.e. that they won't just throw the horse in the ditch and not report it).

Reporting it, even to the guards, or DSPCA or KSPCA would only take a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Shocking & disturbing photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Yuck. I know that spot fairly well.

That road and that spot are regular dumping grounds for all sorts of rubbish and I suspect that ye are right about the rope being to pull it out of the trailer.

Still though. Makes me angry for various reasons. :mad:

brianmc wrote: »
    Yuck. I know that spot fairly well.

That road and that spot are regular dumping grounds for all sorts of rubbish and I suspect that ye are right about the rope being to pull it out of the trailer.

Still though. Makes me angry for various reasons. :mad:

I would think that taking the time to bury the ole horse somewhere where would be to much of a pain for them.

I heard of farmers dumping sheep in rivers , But this takes the biscuit..

i called the Garda and told them.

there was 5 other horses roaming around there. 300 yards down the road. They looked like the same breed. Not a horse man, but they where small and had hairy feet like the dead one. all of them on the road. They would not move out of the way. I had to get out and chase them .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Very sad to see, best to report it and see if it goes anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sascha15

Hi,

I am new to this board and only joined because of this pic. I live down the road and was out walking my Dogs when I came across this terrible act of cruelty. I am still in shock by it. I think no matter whether the horse was dead or alive it is a sick and horrible thing to do. I called the DSPCA and the Garda to report it. As far as I am aware the Council where to take it away. If it is a case of "no money to put the animal to sleep etc" I am sure a local Vet or Animal Sanctuary would have put the animal down humanely FOC.

There are too many Sick minded people in this world and who ever did this is one of them.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Sascha15 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am new to this board and only joined because of this pic. I live down the road and was out walking my Dogs when I came across this terrible act of cruelty. I am still in shock by it. I think no matter whether the horse was dead or alive it is a sick and horrible thing to do. I called the DSPCA and the Garda to report it. As far as I am aware the Council where to take it away. If it is a case of "no money to put the animal to sleep etc" I am sure a local Vet or Animal Sanctuary would have put the animal down humanely FOC.

There are too many Sick minded people in this world and who ever did this is one of them.

:mad::mad::mad:

is it gone. im not going back there till it is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sascha15

To be honest. I haven't gone back up there. I hope someone had the decency to come and take it away after numerous calls. I might venture up today and I'll post to let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 eveostick

I was up at this same spot on Saturday and it has happened again. This time a little bay filly. Exact same as the previous horse, legs tied to the forestry gate. Tried ringing a few places(coilte, garda, council) but everwhere was closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

thats awful really it is.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

seen as im into horses and all, im not averse to pain, and well able to take it, but that photo made me cry. (17yo male)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I ride in that forest and to our pure horrorwhen out on our hack we found a second dead horse in the exact same circumstances there last weekend. I do have a photo but I was on horseback when trying to take it so it is fuzzy

Called the gardai and they basically told me to go away. they don't deal with it, and the DSPCA will have to collect it and dispose of it.

Eh what???

The DSPCA are a CHARITY to which the Gardai give NO money.
    that in my mind is appalling.

It was absolutely horrible to see it broke my heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

A friend of my dad told me that up in Glanworth woods horses are just being abandoned in the woods and left roam wild up there. And apparently nothing is being done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

As someone above said, it looks like the horse was already dead, and someone tied the horse to the gate, allowing them to drive forward and pull the body out. From the blood coming out the mouth, I would be willing to guess the horse was shot, with the muzzle of the gun inside the horse's mouth. If that's the case, it's quick and painless to the horse, often better than chemical euthanasia. It appears the horse has clean wood chips or shavings on it-possibly it was colicking or something and someone decided to put it down. Torture doesn't appear to an issue. The horse appears in good condition, at least from what I can see, with no other marks on it.

Chances are the horse was sick or injured, or someone couldn't afford to keep it any longer and wasn't able to sell or give it away for various reasons. It costs 100 euro or so to have a body removed now, on top of 80 euro or so for euthanasia, so it may have been dumped like that to avoid having to pay the disposal charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 unwinding

Oh I am sure they had a good reason to dispose of the horse. I'm sure they did all they could. I sure as hell hope so, anyway.

Down the back lanes where we live people dump everything from their household rubbish to fridges, prams, dead dogs. I am sick to my stomach of it. They catch and fine one, half a dozen others appear. It is one long winding road through one big dump.

But this, definitely, takes the biscuit. I think now I've seen it all.

Long live the green Irish countryside.

Advertisement