Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiberglass windows

• 26-01-2010 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Anybody here dealt with fiberglassed windows i.e fiberglass outside and wood on the inside? What are your opinions on them?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

havent come across them, but i suppose theres little difference, visually, with them and PVC windows. GRP is a commonly used material in the construction industry and has the added beneft of being able to use recycled material in its production, whereas uPVC is a petrochemical derivative.

would also make sense to use as cladding material as it wouldnt have the same expansion / contraction coefficient that aluminium would have. I wonder how its RAL colours weather over time?

If considering them just make sure they are properly tested and accredited, preferably A rated in accordance with BFRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morning delight

LowOdour wrote: »
    Anybody here dealt with fiberglassed windows i.e fiberglass outside and wood on the inside? What are your opinions on them?

I read about them in a self build mag in the States last September but they don't seem to have hit the market here yet. Neither my architect or structural engineer have come across them.

Using google I found one or two suppliers in Canada but personally I'd prefer to order off someone in Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I think Marvin in Dunlavin do a fibreglass frame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scanner1

Patrickof wrote: »
    I think Marvin in Dunlavin do a fibreglass frame

+1

Marvin in Cork do them as well, had them in Sliding Sash and were reasonable against PVC sliding sash. My engineer had not heard about them either so stayed away from them. If you were thinking of using them
    they have standard windwow sizes and if you have not built the openings, build them to their standard size, It would work out much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I went on to integritywindows.com, doesnt say anything about the U value of the windows. Would be interested to see how they compare with a good pvc window

• Advertisement

Can I put a scanned page from a self-build magazine from the U.S. up here as an attachement for everyone to see? It has a synopsis including pros and cons of the differenent window frame types and is relevant to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

m_d
    could you pm the link to me (i presume the scan has been uploaded somewhere) if you are not allowed to put it up here

LowOdour wrote: »
    m_d
    could you pm the link to me (i presume the scan has been uploaded somewhere) if you are not allowed to put it up here

LowOdour
    Find the scan attached. I got the all clear from syd to put it up. Only gives general details but does imply fibreglass is possibly the way of the future!

I see Greenbuilding store in the UK supply such a window. They are an agent I assume as the window is produced by a german company. It's the Enersign window, is passiv institut certified, and with triple glazing comes in with a Uw of 0.65. I don't think there is any agent for the windows here though and don't know how they would compare on cost.

I've been following a blog by the greenbuilding store on building.co.uk. They are building a passive haus using cavity wall construction. Well worth a look. Google 'passiv haus diaries' and it will bring you to it.

This is of real interest as I'm looking at starting a new build in the next few months. I've no other connection or interest in the building industry other than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

• Advertisement
Advertisement