Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - php/mysql for setting up my first site

Options
  • 26-01-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently doing a 1-year course in IT and have read here and elsewhere about the benefits of having a portfolio of work to add to qualifications/exams.

I am just looking for some advice on the feasibility/value of trying to set-up the following charity website - it's a child sponsorship program and am looking to provide online feedback/updates for sponsors.

Some features to include;

- administrators to 'add' children + details (name/age/photo/etc.)
    - administrators to 'add' sponsors + details (name/age/etc.)
    - administrators to add posts per particular child (done using online forms - most administrators will not have any database knowledge)
    - sponsors to be able to login and view only their particular child and some general 'news' items

From some research it seems that this is possible using php/mysql.
    I have basic xhtml/css/java/databases(no mysql) and would be grateful to hear from someone with any bit of experience to give me a few pointers/references/advice.

Looking to find out;
    1) if php/mysql is the correct choice for this
    2) how much work does this involves and would it be possible to do from scratch or am i kidding myself attempting this
    3) looking for the best option to do this using open-source software/free online resources

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

not sure of an exact solution

it definitley sounds doable in php/mysql

I can't think of a system that already does something like that but here's the wikipedia page listing loads of content management systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems#PHP_2

have a look through it (unless someone else posts up better advice ;))

I've heard joomla is quite good. It's website is here: http://www.joomla.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you're going to do it in php, and theres no reason why you shouldn't, then look at using one of the php frameworks - I'd recommend Zend or Code Igniter. Zend has the added advantage of having certification if you want to go down that route.

Now mentioning certification will probably get some irate responses but if you're new to development it does carry weight with potential employers.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1) if php/mysql is the correct choice for this
    I don't think there's any *correct* choice but php would be a good choice.
    2) how much work does this involves and would it be possible to do from scratch or am i kidding myself attempting this
    If you've never developed something like this before then there will be a fair bit of work in it for you - but that's a good reason to do it. Using one the frameworks I've mentioned will reduce your development effort though.
    3) looking for the best option to do this using open-source software/free online resources
    Again, if you want to do it from scratch then use a framework. Do it from scratch, go on, you know you want to. We'll help when you get stuck.

You'll have to focus on the design of how the site will work before you can focus on code but that's why you should do this from scratch. It will be great way to learn and when it's done you'll have all that experience under your belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mpearce

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Definitely enough stuff to get me going.

No doubt i'll be back with more queries !

Advertisement