Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Phone Line

• 26-01-2010 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

My Query is related how to get my telephone line upgarded. My Telephone & Broadband provider is UTV. I have 3MB broadband package but I could get a Max speed between 0.8-1.5 MB. The reason give to me for this is the quality of my LandLine could only support 1.5MB. When I asked how to get this upgarded/Fixed. They asked me to contact Eircom. When I contacted Eircom they said contact U.tv.

Any advice ?

Thanks
    Arv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Call UTV back and tell them to sort it. They are responsible for it and they will have get in touch with Eircom. Other ISP often say it is Eircom, but when you have their services with them, it is their responsibility to sort it for you, even though they may have to call Eircom. Thats unless you are paying line rental to Eircom themselves of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There could be many reasons for line quality being poor, and a lot of them can't be fixed. If it's a line fault, then you need to log the fault with UTV, and they in turn contact eircom. You cannot go to eircom as you're not an eircom customer.

If however the problem is line length, or internal wiring issues, then they can't and won't do anything about it. Do you know how far from the exchange you are?

Also, eircom's USO states that the minimum speed that the lines be capable of is 256kbps, since you exceed this, there's no reason for them to fix any problems that might be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Arv

Thanks for the quick response. My Number start with 01640 I think it's clonee exchange. It about 4-5km from where I am. I don't think that distance be an issue as my Immediate neighbour & has a telephone line from same exch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Speed can vary quite dramatically going from 4-5km. See here for a rough indication. At 4km, you could expect up to 4Mbps, but at 5km, that could be 1Mbps.

If your line is 4.5km long, for example, then you probably won't get much more than 1.5Mbps, which is what you have. I get the feeling you'll be wasting your time contacting anyone about this issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Arv wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response. My Number start with 01640 I think it's clonee exchange. It about 4-5km from where I am. I don't think that distance be an issue as my Immediate neighbour & has a telephone line from same exch.

In addition to jor el's comments you have to also take into account line quality which can be a very big factor, this is both inside and outside your premises.

• Advertisement

Does any one know the exact location of clonee exchange. Clonee is 3.5km from my place. I have added a grace 1km .

Cabaal wrote: »
    In addition to jor el's comments you have to also take into account line quality which can be a very big factor, this is both inside and outside your premises.

I don't have any telephone Extension/wiring inside the premises

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Does any one know the exact location of clonee exchange. Clonee is 3.5km from my place. I have added a grace 1km .

I believe its at
    53.4100177 -6.4277618
    though I may be wrong

53.4100177 -6.4277618 is 3 km from where I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

53.4100177 -6.4277618 is 3 km from where I am.

Is that as the crow flies?

Phone lines aren't normally done that way.

• Advertisement

don't forget a lot of times 3km as the crow flies is a lot more where the cables go.

That's a distance using google maps. :)

Yes but I don't reckon that the lines coming from the exchange to you go in a straight line on a map, straight from the exchange to you :)

Advertisement