Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trap to Juventus?

• 26-01-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Reports in the Italian media claim Juventus want to make Giovanni Trapattoni their caretaker manager for the remainder of the Serie A season.

Sky Italia also claim that Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez will be offered the role on a permanent basis at the end of the season.

The reports suggest that Trapattoni will continue in his role as Republic of Ireland international manager.

Current Juve manager Ciro Ferrara is expected to depart the club this week, following a poor start to the season that sees them stuck in sixth place in the Serie A table, 16 points behind leaders Inter.

Benitez's agent had earlier dismissed reports linking the Spaniard with the Turin giants.

'I have had no contact with Juventus or with any other Italian club regarding an interest on Rafa Benitez,' agent Manuel Garcia said.

'There have been rumours linking Rafa to Juve just as there have been reports linking (Guus) Hiddink to Juve.

'But they are all media speculation and there is no truth in it.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0126/trapattoni.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Already dismissed
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trapattoni-dismisses-report-of-juve-return-newcastle-keen-on-andrews-2030142.html
    GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI has dismissed reports linking him with a return to Juventus, insisting that he has no intention of going back to the scene of his former glories.

Juve boss Ciro Ferrara is facing the sack after Saturday night's defeat at home to Roma. The Turin club have lost six out of their last eight Serie A games.

Guus Hiddink, unsurprisingly, has been strongly linked with the position, but the option of hiring Trapattoni until the end of the season has been mooted. The 70-year-old won the Scudetto six times, in addition to the European Cup and the UEFA Cup (twice) in his two stints with the Bianconeri.

"Juventus have not called me, but even if they do, I can say that it was a nice memory in my career that cannot come back," said Trapattoni. "The Juventus jersey is not just a shirt. It's a coat of armour. It weighs so much on your shoulders."

While not mentioning Turkey by name, Trapattoni admitted there had been interest in his services in the wake of Ireland's traumatic World Cup exit. But he insisted that he would honour the contract extension he signed before that night in Paris, which will keep him at the helm until the conclusion of the 2012 European Championships campaign.

The tone of his comments would suggest that he has no plans to retire afterwards, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If he stays on as Ireland Manager part time dont see there being problem

actually might be good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

He might tempt Keano over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Robbie, or Roy?

Robbie of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If hes interested in it I wouldnt see the problem, if it was until the end of the season then it might be good for Juve to steady the ship.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He'd be on a hiding to nothing going back. He's an old man and Juve are a mess, he doesn't need that kind of hassle. I don't know who would be the best fit for the job though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Stupid move for him. He won't do it.

I'd have no problem either with him doing the job.
    A man of his age needs to be kept busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Can see the Sun then linking him with Andy Reid, Carsely and Delap with the News of the World saying Ireland wants to play in Italy.....:D

• Advertisement

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Can see the Sun then linking him with Andy Reid, Carsely and Delap with the News of the World saying Ireland wants to play in Italy.....:D
    ye, thats what i was thinking. Bring all our fringe players over and give them first team action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If he stays on as Ireland Manager part time dont see there being problem

actually might be good thing

Isnt he not already part-time.

redout wrote: »
    Isnt he not already part-time.
    Isn't every International manager?

CHD wrote: »
    Isn't every International manager?

Yeah but most actually get off there arse and go watch there players play you know. Not sit at home in Italy relying on DVDs and reports from Tardelli and Brady whilst picking up a fat cheque. Dunphy had it spot on.

redout wrote: »
    Yeah but most actually get off there arse and go watch there players play you know. Not sit at home in Italy relying on DVDs and reports from Tardelli and Brady whilst picking up a fat cheque. Dunphy had it spot on.
    Trap has it spot on too. Look what he has done! He transformed a crap team into a good one. Who would have thought a midfield of Andrews and Whelan could have us on the verge of the WC.

Trap is the man.

CHD wrote: »
    Trap has it spot on too. Look what he has done! He transformed a crap team into a good one. Who would have thought a midfield of Andrews and Whelan could have us on the verge of the WC.

Trap is the man.

Well if you can get somewhere between €1.5 - 2m a year for staying home in Italy watching DVDs and taking phonecalls whilst only having to turn up about 10 times a year then fair fcuks to him. Still dont agree with it though. I would rather he go watch the players even if only 2-3 times a month.

He has lately I think and if he has Brady and Tardelli doing it I don't see too much of a problem

Advertisement