Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canceling Sky - within contract.

Options
  • 26-01-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am in the process of Canceling Sky but I am within the 12 months contract.
    I have rang up the cancellation dept and they can not help me, they have advised me to send a snail-mail to an English address and wait approx 10-14 days before I can get any details of what I am expected to pay...

I wanted to know has any one had any experience of this?
    How much should I expect to get billed?
    How long should I expect to wait to hear from them?
    Are they just taking the píss (by not giving me any information)?

I'm sure this subject has been done before - I had a look and couldn't find a thread on it.
    Thanks for the help,
    H2DC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

Ring 0818 719 861 follow option 1 then 2 and ask to be put through to cancellations.

Your bill will end 30 days from the phonecall.
    You will be charged minimal package fee for the remainder of your contract ie. 3 months x €22 + your last month on the service.
    They are just taking the pi$$ by not giving you any information, they don't make cancelling easy.

You're welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Thanks for the help Wizard, do you know will they be able to register the cancelation even though I'm still in contract?
    From my phonecall they've made it clear that it's "unpossible" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

Yeah of course you can but the penalty is as above, your remaining months at the lowest package price. It's not "unpossible" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Tried this again - didn't work for me, seems to be a Scottish number so they couldn't process the cancellation, 2 phone call, approx €20 call credit - fúck Sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

I worked for an un-named rival company, lets call it company z.
    To get a service cancelled the best thing to do(when all else failed!) was get through to cust service, complain about not being helped and ask/demand to speak to a team leader(don't even tell them why you are ringing until you speak to a team leader), and do not get off the phone until you do. Get everyone's name along the way. The team leaders will generally help, although they will be reluctant/too busy to come to the phone!
    There will be no need to shout or be rude just sometimes it is hard to get your voice heard and I know from experience this is frustrating so you have to be a little pushy.
    I know this is crazy but it does work, it is not necessarily the employees fault sometimes the bigger the company the harder it is to get anything done and both employee and customers get caught up in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Well it seems Sky are now refusing point blank to cancel service if you're still under contract. To top it off, you also get put through to their "Oirish" call centre full of what I could only describe as a bunch of ignorant idiots, devoid it seems of any sense customer service.

Irish call centre lads also refuse to put any team leader or supervisor on the phone and refuse to give you their full name "in case you make a complaint against me". Seriously, wtf :mad:

Preferred their Indian call centre, at least they actually tried to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

, 2 phone call, approx €20 call credit - fúck Sky!

Use voip like say voipbuster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Cancel the direct debit at your bank and write to Sky at the snail mail address they gave you. Explain that due to a change in your circumstances you have to cancel. There wont be any delay until they let you know how much you owe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

You will be charged for the full price of the satellite equipment in your possession if you break the contract within 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Email them at mysky@bskyb.com. Give them your viewing card no and a date 31 days down the road. I did this last week and got a reply within 2 days confirming that they will cancel in Feb. My you I have also got a couple of letters promising me the sun,moon & stars etc, from them over the past week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Hevsyuk

You can email and ask for your account to be cancelled. They will do so but they will apply charges accordingly for breach of contract to recoup the cost of subscidised equipment - which they are entitled to do as you did agree a contract with them.

They can ony give you an estimate as to what the charges are, they cant tell you exactly because that depends on what term is left on the contract (normally the lowest value package x the number of months left on your contract and dependant on if you have telephone and BB services). Once its cancelled they will write to you to advise how much you have to pay.

Phoning the call centre and whining will get you nowhere as they cannot cancel you within min term - only Customer Relations at head office can do this and they will need to be emailed or written to as already advised. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Hevsyuk wrote: »
    You can email and ask for your account to be cancelled. They will do so but they will apply charges accordingly for breach of contract to recoup the cost of subscidised equipment - which they are entitled to do as you did agree a contract with them.

What if you have a contract but did not receive any subsidised equipment from Sky. I would cancel in the morning if I could.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    What if you have a contract but did not receive any subsidised equipment from Sky. I would cancel in the morning if I could.

There is still a subscription clawback fee as you are still in a 12 month contract. You can always email and see if you can get it cancelled - feedback form on the website - depends on your reasons for asking and who opens your email really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

THe way I see it, Its pretty foolish to sign up with sky if you are not confident of being able to hold onto it for a year or at least being capable of holding onto minimum subscription for 1 year. I mean you can get all equipment & 1 years subscription for less than €300. You are then free to cancel and get free view using the equipment sky installed for you for ever more. Its a pretty good deal. I know its impossible to deal with sky re cancellation etc so really, you need to be sure you will meet the minimum subscription before having any dealings with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mickdw wrote: »
    THe way I see it, Its pretty foolish to sign up with sky if you are not confident of being able to hold onto it for a year or at least being capable of holding onto minimum subscription for 1 year.

You are entitled to your opinion. I am only enquiring about cancelling early. If I can then great, if not then no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

we would like to get sky as our current tv provider is pretty poor. however we're hoping to move some time next year? is it possible to negotiate a shorter contract with sky, anyone ever manage it? say 6 months rather than 12

Sky dont do a 6 month contract - if you get it installed now, you can arrange a moving home install when you move though. Its chargeable at £65 I think but gives you a new dish and cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

really? perfect!

the corpo wrote: »
    really? perfect!

Not sure how much in Euros though - think maybe 100 Euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

the corpo wrote: »
    we would like to get sky as our current tv provider is pretty poor. however we're hoping to move some time next year? is it possible to negotiate a shorter contract with sky, anyone ever manage it? say 6 months rather than 12
    Maybe you and the OP could work out some deal here, lol. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement