Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Bridal Bootcamp... aka Please be my drill sergeant!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

I have to play a little bit of catch-up here!!! After all my resolve on Thursday, I didn't really stick to the plan over the weekend! Had a lot of symptoms as a result, when will I learn :eek: I am very embarrassed about some of the eating that I did, but I'm going to post it anyway! I have to hold myself accountable, otherwise this thread is pointless!!! Here goes...

Friday 5th Feb: Day 6
    9:00 Almond scone, low-low, coffee (m&s)
    12:45 Ciabatta w/ chicken, chorizo, mozzeralla & mayo, coffee (m&s)
    18:00 Big Al's chicken, wedges, peas & sweetcorn, pint water
    19:00 Fat-free activia yoghurt

Saturday 6th Feb: Day 7
    10:00 Oats & more, skimmed milk
    13:00 Minestrone soup, 1 slice of brown bread, flora spread
    16:00 2x biscuits, tea (skimmed milk)
    19:00 Chicken en croute, steamed veg, mashed potatoes, pint water
    21:00 Small ben & jerry's chocolate macadamia ice-cream (here's where it really starts to go downhil!!!)
    23:00 Sprite x 2
    01:00 Taco fries :o:o:o

I am trying to stay off alcohol (hence the sprites), so I don't even have a drunken excuse for the taco fries.

Sunday 7th Feb: Day 8

11:00 Muesli, tea, skimmed milk
    12:00 5k walk
    14:30 Sunday dinner: Turkey, ham, stuffing, potatoes (one roast, one scoop of mashed), gravy, cabbage. Pint water.
    16:30 Tea, skimmed milk
    19:00 Tomato soup, 2 small slices of garlic bread
    19:30 Tea, skimmed milk, strawberry cheesecake :o

Week One Review & New Goals:

Needless to say I didn't end the week on a great note. But I was happy enough with the food from Mon-Thurs. However, I was still 149lbs on Friday morning, and I'm still 149 lbs now (same BF% also). So even before the weekend I hadn't lost any weight/BF. This makes me think maybe I am still eating too much, even when I'm eating relatively healthy. Or, maybe it will just take more time? Either way - goal this week:

Log all food on sparkpeople.com, to find out calorie intake.

As for exercise, I'm glad I went back to the gym! And it wasn't so bad... however, I think I did too much because I could hardly walk for 4 days after it :o In the BF solution book, he suggests a pre-conditioning phase for beginners, whereas I just jumped in at Week 5 of his plan (I hadn't got to that part of the book by then!!!) Goal this week:

Exercise in shorter/easier sessions, to ensure I can do it at least 3 times this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

beegirl wrote: »

As for exercise, I'm glad I went back to the gym! And it wasn't so bad... however, I think I did too much because I could hardly walk for 4 days after it :o In the BF solution book, he suggests a pre-conditioning phase for beginners, whereas I just jumped in at Week 5 of his plan (I hadn't got to that part of the book by then!!!) Goal this week:

Exercise in shorter/easier sessions, to ensure I can do it at least 3 times this week.

If its been a while since you have done any kind of exercise or if you used certain muscles a lot more than there used to its very common to be sore after the first training session back (DOMS). After you get into the routine of training and get over the first few sessions, the soreness will ease off a lot.

Once your pushing yourself in the sessions and the intensity is high, you will start to get the results you want.
    Intensity is key, gotta take yourself out of the comfort zone!!

Mon 8th Feb: Day 9

8:30 Weetabix x 2, skimmed milk
    13:00 Wrap with chicken, lettuce, tomato & mayo, coffee (m&s)
    20:00 Sole fillet, wedges, peas & sweetcorn, pint water. Strawberry cheesecake, tea w/ skimmed milk.

Started tracking this on SparkPeople too... will just do this for a couple of weeks, until I know whether or not I have a calorie deficit going on. It says I should eat between 1500-1850 calories a day, I would say the lower end of that range would be better! I worked it out somewhere else and it said 1600.

Edit: the SparkPeople tracker put this at 1585 calories (55% carbs, 26% protein, 19% fat). Which isn't too bad I think? I guess what is bad though is that the majority of that was at 20:00, it should be more spread out through the day...

injured365 wrote: »
    If its been a while since you have done any kind of exercise or if you used certain muscles a lot more than there used to its very common to be sore after the first training session back (DOMS). After you get into the routine of training and get over the first few sessions, the soreness will ease off a lot.

Once your pushing yourself in the sessions and the intensity is high, you will start to get the results you want.
    Intensity is key, gotta take yourself out of the comfort zone!!

I has been a while, like 29 years or so :eek: Lol... well for the weights anyway, I never really did them before! Hopefully after the first couple of weeks it will get a bit easier!!! Not too easy of course, but it would be nice not to be limping around the place ;)

Tues 9th Feb: Day 10

8:30 Weetabix x2, skimmed milk
    10:30 Coffee, m&s
    12:00 Ciabatta w/ chicken, rocket, sundried tomatoes & pesto, tea (skimmed milk)
    5:30 Tea w/milk
    10:30 Weetabix x2, skimmed milk

Around 500 ml water.

I have realised that I feel tons better when I avoid eating too much food, especially later in the day... not a healthy long-term strategy though! I am going for more tests on Friday, so I have to eat light anyway for a few days leading up to it and no food from Thursday lunchtime till Friday night... I just hope they find out what's wrong and FIX ME!!!

Was just thinking last night, this is the worst fitness log EVER!!!! Ten days in and I have done one proper workout :o But I promise it will be full of fitness stuff soon... The doctor said if they find out what's up on Friday they can start a treatment straight away, fingers crossed I guess!!!

Anyway, will keep logging food here over the next few days, little as it may be!

• Advertisement

Weds 10th Feb: Day 11

9:15 Cherry scone, coffee (m&s)
    13:00 Mini-quiche w/salmon, mixed leaves, sweetcorn, peppers, grated carrot with raisins mixed in, 500 ml water, coffee (m&s)

I signed up to the Burn the Fat "Inner Circle" last week, for a $1 trial month, there are a lot of resources on there... I have re-figured calories based on a few of the calculators there. The first is the Harris-Benedict method, these are the results for me (29 yo female, 5'6", 149lbs):

Sedentary: 1766, with 25% deficit = 1324
    Lightly Active: 2023, with 25% deficit = 1517
    Moderately Active: 2281, with 25% deficit = 1711

This is with the McKatch-Ardle formula (based on BF of 31.5%, 149lbs):

Sedentary: 1648, with 25% deficit = 1236
    Lightly Active: 1888, with 25% deficit = 1416
    Moderately Active: 2129, with 25% deficit = 1597

I don't want to get too hung up on the exact numbers, but it seems like if I am sedentary (which I am most days! so far at least...) I should be eating a lot less, if I want to lose weight/BF. Alternatively, keep eating roughly the same as I do now but do moderate exercise most days of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

have you tried the zone diet? I've been on it not too strictly for about 7 months I still drinki and sometimes eat crap but it's really good for getting used to portion sizes and it does make you lose weight without being hungry.

have you tried the zone diet? I've been on it not too strictly for about 7 months I still drinki and sometimes eat crap but it's really good for getting used to portion sizes and it does make you lose weight without being hungry.

No I hadn't even considered that... I heard of it years ago but thought it was one of those celebrity fad things. I just had a look at the website there, it actually looks really good! Seems like a very balanced diet... and it says it is 'anti-inflammatory' so I suppose that would be good - if inflammatory bowel disease is what I have!!! Thanks for that, I will look into it further :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

beegirl wrote: »
    Great in theory... but still a BOX of chocolates!!! If they had some kind of time lock, where you could only get one out of the box every 24 hours, then it would be fine :P
    LOL - off to Dragons Den with you!
    Actually they are already out! well you can get ones for animals with meals that get released while you are away, I think one for people was mentioned in another thread. My trick is freezing bars, snickers & mars freeze rock solid so you cannot go gorging on them on a whim, you let one defrost and if the hunger passes while its defrosting stick it back in.

rubadub wrote: »
    Actually they are already out! well you can get ones for animals with meals that get released while you are away, I think one for people was mentioned in another thread. My trick is freezing bars, snickers & mars freeze rock solid so you cannot go gorging on them on a whim, you let one defrost and if the hunger passes while its defrosting stick it back in.

Oh yeah I have heard of those, for cats! Good tip about the bars :-)

• Advertisement

Well my diet over the last couple of days has consisted mainly of toast, jelly and flat 7up... mmmm tasty :rolleyes:

Got the tests done on Friday but they didn't find anything straight away... so I have to wait for more results to come back, in about 3 weeks time. In the meantime the doctor said to avoid high-fibre foods including fruit and veg and said "if it's white, you can eat it". Seriously?!?! I have spent my whole adult life trying to do the EXACT OPPOSITE of that... Needless to say I am more confused than ever about what to eat :eek:

I found this sample low-fibre diet and list of foods online which might help and it is good to see that some fruit and veg are lower fibre, if you eat them without the skins! My new plan is this:

1. Follow a low(er)-fibre diet as much as possible
    2. Don't get too stressed out about what to eat/not to eat in terms of weight loss, but keep logging food and try to stay in calorie deficit
    3. Focus more on exercise!!!

Yikes, my poor log had moved all the way to page 3 of logs :eek:

Anyway here's where I'm at:

Weight: was 149 lbs when I started this log, now down to 146 lbs. It was actually 156 lbs at the start of the year so that's 10lbs gone, yay! Plus it means I'm back to the weight where my wedding dress fit, phew! Now I just have to get to the point where it actually looks good on me :rolleyes:

The bad news is that weight loss came through being sick, not through healthy eating/exercise! So I still really need to get my act together... Would like to lose another half stone or up to 10 lbs by the end of April - and would like it to be all fat this time!!!

Which brings me to my other point, body fat % - I measured it the other day with calipers and consistently got a reading of 26% - down from 31.5% - so that would mean that I not only lost 3lbs but gained 7lbs of lean body mass!!!! Amazing, just from sitting around doing nothing?!?! Haha... clearly I am measuring it wrong? But I would swear I was measuring the same spot as before... anyway will try it again in a few days and see where it's at.

Made some goals for 'Lent' (I'm not even religious, but hey it's as good a time as any to do something for 40+ days):

1. Exercise for at least 30 mins every day
    2. Drink 2 litres of water every day
    3. Remember to take vitamins/supplements every day
    4. No takeaways

So last night went for a 35-min walk when I got home, even though it was 10.45! That's usually past my bedtime ;) Forgot the vitamins though... aaarrgghhhh!

Advertisement