Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Payment Protection Claim - any experts/successful claimants?

Options
  • 26-01-2010 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

First post so hopefully in the right place. I recently made a claim on our mortgage payment protection policy we took out through our mortgage lender Perm TSB (policy with other company) due to redundancy, link to policy info here https://www.permanenttsb.ie/media/permanenttsb/pdfdocuments/Mortgage%20Repayment%20Protector%20Policy.pdf (help please if that's not working..).

I just got off the phone with them to see how claim is progressing (after various extra documents they claimed they needed e.g. wageslip after already receiving RP50, employers statement etc.) and was told that they now had all the information they required but the claim date would start from when I signed on with FAS and not with the Department of Social and Family Affairs (Social in October, FAS in January), as they take the latter of the two dates as the payment commencement date.

I am pretty enraged right now but thought perhaps there was a hidden clause somewhere - on the document linked to above it does mention FAS or similar in their definition of employment but on closer inpection it is referring to ongoing unemployment rather than a first claim - but

When paying
    your claim, we will consider

your
    first day of unemployment as the day

you
    are first registered as unemployed with

the Department of Social and Family Affairs or
    any other government office that replaces it.

You
    will not be considered to be unemployed

for days when
    you are receiving payment

instead of working
    your notic.....

Anyone have any experience of this? Or do I need to suck it up!! Thx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

you are first registered as unemployed with the Department of Social and Family Affairs or any other government office that replaces it.

Open to interpretation.

Are you sure FAS is paying you money or the Social Welfare? I would get that confirmed in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hooshoo

Ok well made some more calls yesterday and the Social Welfare confirmed that it is Jobseekers Benefit I'm being paid, and they also told me that in qualifying to receive this benefit I've entered into a jobseekers contract with the State (I didn't really ask about this but I reckon the lady had had some dealings along this line before) and am officially classed as unemployed. FAS has nothing to do with my payment.

It just seems crazy that the insurance company will take the latter of two dates - registration with Social or registration with FAS. I mean who is ever going to register with FAS ahead of the Social when they're made redundant? OK I do realise that if this is in the terms and conditions of the policy I will have to suck it up:( CRAZY though. Rang the bank too and the girl told me she'd never heard of such a thing, especially after I read back that paragraph from the policy document off their site- she was to investigate this morning and get back to me. So we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi there, i too have just commenced the process of claiming the above and it with PTSB. However i am dealing directly with their underwriters Genworth Financial who took over these Policies last year apparently from Alianz. The hidden clause you refer to re having to wait 60 days from the date you applied to claim is a disgrace but sadly its part of the terms and conditions. My situation was a little more Bizarre. Despite keeping in close contact with PTSB and availing of an initial 3 month holiday, it was only after this time i discovered my policy covered redundancy. PTSB have been brilliant and requested this Genworth Shower to send me forms.

An inordinate amount of info was required including as you state forms stamped by both the Social welfare office and bizarrely FAS "Whom those on Job seekers Benefit are not required to register with (you are if you are on Job seekers Allowance). The catch of course is the 60 day rule kicks in from the date of this claim form being actually stamped by the above. Despite clear evidence i had been unemployed for three months prior to initiating my claim, i was hit with this 60 day rule. One last observation, they sometimes request a P.45 which by all accounts in impossible to provide as firstly you are required to submit this to the social welfare in the first place (Original) and secondly the last part is used along with a P.5O if your claiming some tax back. Surely these companies understand in order to prove unemployment and get Job seekers Benefit in the first place, you have to submit your P.45.

So the 60 days have passed, i have had what they all continuing unemployment form Stamped by the social welfare, enclosed a nice little letter and registered it in the POST. A week has passed, lets see what happens. Incidentally i have paid premiums on this policy for over 9 years.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hooshoo

Hi Dempo,

Wow it seems we are getting v. conflicting information from Genworth.

'The hidden clause you refer to re having to wait 60 days from the date you applied to claim is a disgrace but sadly its part of the terms and conditions'

What I was told is that you need to be 60 days unemployed before they will pay the claim whereby it is backdated to 30 days. Specifically when I rang them in October (on learning of redundancy) they told me not to send in claim forms until 60 days of continuous unemployment, and that my claim would be considered from the date you are first 'unemployed' and backdated accordingly if claim was successful.

All forms filled out in full and submitted (sent registered also) and recieved by Genworth but where you say,

'Whom those on Job seekers Benefit are not required to register with (you are if you are on Job seekers Allowance)' re FAS,

Genworth tell me that I do need to register with both the Social and with FAS. I'm 100% definitely on Jobseekers Benefit not Jobseekers allowance, but they are insisting I needed to be registered with both, and that the latter of the two dates (register with FAS, register with Social) is the one they take as your start date.

'The catch of course is the 60 day rule kicks in from the date of this claim form being actually stamped by the above'

Again this conflicts with what I'm being told. In fairness they tell me that it's not the date that the form is stamped that is considered - it's the date that the agency (FAS or Social or both) have filled out in the claim form as the date you first registered with them. So for example you could register with FAS the day you are made unemployed but not download your claim form for several days, then return to FAS to have it signed where they will fill in the date you first registered with them several days earlier. In this case the date you registered is the date taken into consideration not the date of the stamp on the form.

I was made redundant in October and signed on with the Social immediately but didn't go to FAS until January. I specifically asked them yesterday if I had gone to FAS on the same day as I signed on with the Social, would that date be the start date on my claim - the answer? YES!!! and monies due would be backdated to 30 days after the day I signed on with the two agencies!!

The attitude at the moment is one of 'well you've definitely been approved for this claim' - almost 'stop complaining we're honouring the damn thing'!! Anyway the terms & conditions came in the post this morning so will have a look later.

It does sound like you're getting satisfaction from them, which is something at least. I can't help feeling that I'm being shafted or given the runaround with incorrect information....(paying premiums 7 years - I reckon policy is probably the same one, Genworth mentioned it was an old Alliance policy)

Also - what a relief for you when you realised you were covered to make a claim!!! It sounds a bit ungrateful I know, to complain when so many people don't have the cushion of mortgage payment protection, it's just these insurance companies drive me mad - they happily take your money at length and do their best to find a way not to honour your claim.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi again,

Well firstly the good news, on checking my bank account this morning, hey presto a Payment from Genworth so it would seem being persistent and copying whilst registering documentation is Key. This said, i noticed they only paid what i am currently paying which is an interest only payment. This i will challenge as my premium clearly states FULL PAYMENT OF MORTGAGE FOR 12 MONTHS. I wondered when my interest payment period is up, will Genworth pay my full mortgage. To be fair, i am grateful albeit the BS we have to go through, i will revert back when i find out what it is Genworth are paying.

Just to Clarify about the points on FAS and 60 day period. I may have confused you. Firstly, FAS. My point is that this requirement is ridiculous given those on Job seekers Benefit are not required to register with FAS (albeit a good thing to do i guess), i guess i am just being pertinent.

The 60 day rule: My point here is that for those who are unaware of their policies and like me who waited almost three months, when you receive the claim forms and get them stamped, its from this date the 60 days kicks in. I sent in my forms along with clear evidence i had been unemployed for almost three months at that stage, nonetheless i was sent a Continuing unemployment form a week later along with a letter stating the 60 days rule from the date the forms are stamped. This was further confirmed by a phone call to Genworth. The BS your be told about back dating etc conflicts with what i have been told and indeed what i received today which was exactly what my current payment (Interest only) is. If say my claim was being backdated i would have received almost 6 months of mortgage payments. I am not too concerned as long as i actually receive monthly payments whilst i am unemployed and up to 12 months (God i hope i find a job well before 12 months is up)

I hope i am making more sense on this, I am grateful to have finally got my first payment almost months and a week after i submitted my claim.:)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement