Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Sacked

Options
  • 26-01-2010 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Okay this maybe the wrong place to post this .. but anyways i have been working in a pub for the past year and a half as a lounge girl I am now 18 and it was a handy job because Im in my second year in university and badly need the money.

the girls that work there didnt have to do an interview just go down and talk to one of the bar managers. but for me the bar manager is my cousin so she asked me one night did i want a job and i said yeah.. so i was now working for family which i now regret. no one in the pub knew not even the main managers

anyways lately my family and her family havent been getting on too well and her mam and my mam had an argument and ever since that i have had no hours. i keep ringing up and asking but she keeps making excuses. i havent done anything wrong on her. she told the main manager lies that i wasn't bothered working last week, but i had told her i had exams

in that job.. i can be replaced in no time. we get treated like **** but i putted up with it because i need the money. i don't know what to do the manager is sticking by my cousin.. i cant say were related cause that would just make things worse

i know im sacked because thats how to get rid of all the other girls that are now gone . they basically dont give girls any work and eventually the girls stop trying but they were 16 and not bothered if they lost their job but i NEED this job :(:(

my cousin has never sacked anyone face to face, she just ignores the people she wants to get rid of

need some advice on what to do ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Perhaps this would be better off in work and employment? Afaik there is a legal minimum number of hours you must be given unless otherwise arranged, so if an employer just decides to give you no hours until you leave they are breaking the law.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from PI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Why cant you tell anyone you're related?

Your 18? your better off out of it. your a young girl with your whole life ahead of you I don't mean to insult your family but your cousin sounds like a bitter muppet! jobs seem to be only taking on temp staff and part-timers these times so maybe there is other jobs out there. sure why not even try your working for yourself? perhaps your good at computers? gardening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This is the downside of working with 'family'. Sometimes it's great but quite often it can turn out to being a reason to treat employees badly and a way to get away with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement