Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Collins on Mooney

• 26-01-2010 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe i should put this in ranting and raving, but does anyone else find Richard Collins on Mooney the most annoying know it all on radio?

The Mooney show itself I tend to listen to most days for the simple reason that its on after liveline, and i couldnt be bother changing over, and some days there can be an interesting thing on now and again.

Everytime he is on he has some intellectual or scientific comment to make, invariably its wrong and just shows him up to be an ill-informed old twit.

Maybe he is a nice guy off the air, but when he is on he just comes across so badly.

Am I on my own here or are there others who feel my pain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Dr Richard Collins if you don't mind.

I agree up to a point, knows his stuff, but is one of the most self righteous annoying people one could hope to listen to.

Fcuker is over 70 retired and soaking up the Ooooooeus to beat the band, traipsing all over the globe at SOMEBODY ELSE'S EXPENSE and coming across as as a know all fcuker who thinks he is a major cut above the ordinary Joe ,like ourselves.

I respect his knowledge but he could tone down the superiority complex a bit and learn to talk like an ordinary human being, instead of thinking he is teaching the great unwashed some major revelation.

:mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I respect his knowledge also but he should know to stay on the topics he knows about and just not comment on things he doesn't. Like today they had some nutritionist student on and they were talking about different types of Fat and losing weight etc. And he said in his know it all voice "Well the best way of losing weight is just to not eat anything".

Which any nutritionist will tell you is the worst thing to do, because the body goes into starvation mode, and you end up with no energy, and when you finally allow yourself to eat something the body stores it as fat because it does not know when you will get more. So in effect you put on more fat than you lost.

There was another day when he was complaining about global warming skeptics. He had been at a convention and there was a guy telling him all about the computer models they use for charting climate change. And he said "This one particular model had 64 different variables!". He said it in that way of his that made it sound like it was something ground breaking all together.

I nearly wet myself. Maybe back when he was studying electronic engineering, when an 8-bit processor was cutting edge, 64 variables might have been tricky. Here in the 21st century you would have to add a few more variables to make it impressive. Maybe a billion more.

At the time that I was listening to him, I was writing a program with about double the amount of variables, and my machine was not over heating at the strain of so much data to deal with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

yes, he gets on my tits too

and the way he speaks, carefully prouncing every word that comes out of his gob as if he's trying to impress people yawn

mr self-importance

much prefer Aine she's more down to earth

philstar wrote: »
    yes, he gets on my tits too

and the way he speaks, carefully prouncing every word that comes out of his gob as if he's trying to impress people yawn

mr self-importance

Don't mean to be hypocritical and a know it all but its Eanna. not Aine.

Sorry. Nowadays if Yer man is on Mooney I just turn it off. He annoys me that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Dr Richard Collins is heading off to Vietnam for a months holiday this week :), so I presume he will not be on air for the next 4 weeks --- at least.

• Advertisement

Who's paying for it.??

I doubt if the good Dr. will be out of pocket.

Am I right or Am I right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Who's paying for it.??

I doubt if the good Dr. will be out of pocket.

Am I right or Am I right?

Am I right or Am I right? - Not IMO

I heard him announce it on the show today, I presumed it was a personal private holiday - something he always wanted to do.

Donna... we will see.

These punters ALWAYS have another agenda.

Listen out for it.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dh0661 wrote: »
    Dr Richard Collins is heading off to Vietnam for a months holiday this week :), so I presume he will not be on air for the next 4 weeks --- at least.

yippee!!! lets hope its a one way ticket:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

philstar wrote: »

I like him.

Re Aine AKA Eanna I can't stand her voice.

Speaking about Aine on Morning Ireland I've disliked her from day one, please RTE put her in a back room function.

• Advertisement

(Dr) Richard is back on Mooney. :eek:

I will give him 5 mins but if he starts with his annoyingness, Ill be clicking off and listening to RMFfm instead.

I wonder who paid for that jolly.

I doubt if Syklops is still listening.

No im not. Whats he on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oh no:( he's back

boring the arse off me, at the mo he's talkin about his trip to vietnam, as if the poor people of vietnam haven't suffered enough:cool:

Top gear gave me a pretty good education on Vietnam. That and Full Metal Jacket. I dont think I will risk permanent damage to my sanity by turning him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Too many people on Mooney telling you about things you never wanted to know about in the first place. Woman on there telling me all about bats... I couldnt give a fk about bats... unless it's batman..

The problem with Mooeny is it doesnt know what kind of show it is. Its not a nature show, its not a political show its not a current affairs show, its not a phone-in show. Its sort of a mixed bag, and it changes from one day to the next. Sometimes it has interesting things on and sometimes its boring. The same for any show I suppose, but if they had a set theme, then I could decide whether to listen to it or not. Instead I end up 'risking it' with varying results.

And Enna ni whatsherface and Richard annoy me because they go on to talk about bees and bats which they know about, and then they discuss something non-nature related and they try to continue to be experts in their field when they nothing or very little about the subject at hand.

Like the day they had the nutritionist on and Richard told everyone the best way to lose weight is to stop eating. The poor nutritionist didn't know what to say but you could tell she disagreed.

They just have the nature bit on Friday, a throwback from Mooney goes wild.

I'd love to know if Collins was sponsored.

He has one annoying way of speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dick Clerkin

I'm an occasional listener to the Mooney show, have always found Dr Collins INCREDIBLY annoying.

Anyway, decided to google him just now to see what he looks like... and came across this rant.

I'm joining boards just to have a collective moan - get him off the air! I don't think anyone in that studio even likes him

Now now Dick, don't upset people in here.

Mods are fairly active around these here parts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement