Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failed The NCT

• 26-01-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Feck! Brought the car into the NCT in Ballymun today, the car went straight in. Yer man comes back out and told me it failed :eek: Kinda had a feeling it was going to fail on somthing as the last two NCTs it passed without any work being needed (for the NCT). It failed on corroded brake lines both on the rear of the car, brought it to my mecanic (i use him for timing belts and bits i wouldnt be up for) told me it will be €70 all in for the lines to be replaced.

So with the €28 rebooking fee i think i got away quite lightly considering that the car has done about 80K miles in two years and this is the only fail item in 3 NCT tests.

Sadly it will be the last NCT as a taxi. :(

So booked in for repairs tomorrow at 2pm fancied a nite off anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sorry to hear that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

What kind of car was it? Old?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

samsemtex wrote: »
    What kind of car was it? Old?

96 Carina.

I Was VB wrote: »
    96 Carina.

No offense but to be honest if you are making a living off your car and using it as a taxi you really should have something better than a 14 year old car. If it was a 14 year old Merc S-class or BMW 7 series I wouldnt mind but the amount of ancient Carinas on the road of taxis is crazy.

A testament to their reliability I suppose but the sooner they are all off the road (for taxi purposes at least)the better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

If you've ever seen pictures of VB's carina you might change your mind on that. He seems to keep it in far better condition than a lot of other taxis I've been in.

Actually, see here for pics of the inside http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055809346

• Advertisement

No offense but to be honest if you are making a living off your car and using it as a taxi you really should have something better than a 14 year old car. If it was a 14 year old Merc S-class or BMW 7 series I wouldnt mind but the amount of ancient Carinas on the road of taxis is crazy.

A testament to their reliability I suppose but the sooner they are all off the road (for taxi purposes at least)the better imo.

My car is kept in good condition, better than most 05 - 06 taxis ive seen on the roads. And its reliable too, and i still think its a great looking car.

But ya will be glad to know that my car will be off the road as a taxi in april 2011 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I thought taxis had to be tested every year like commercials instead of every 2 years?
    Anyway this again further proves the theory that nct pre tests etc are a complete waste of cash as any pre test here would have cost more than the repairs required and they would also have most likely fitted a couple of new shocks & a few bushes too and possibly missed the brake lines!

mickdw wrote: »
    I thought taxis had to be tested every year like commercials instead of every 2 years?
    Anyway this again further proves the theory that nct pre tests etc are a complete waste of cash as any pre test here would have cost more than the repairs required and they would also have most likely fitted a couple of new shocks & a few bushes too and possibly missed the brake lines!

Yep taxis have to be tested every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Rubbish. The car was tested, fault found, and is being repaired. The age on the number plate is irrelevant. There is simply no correlation between age and condition. It's all about maintenance and care. If there was such a correlation then there'd be no such thing as sub-10yr balls of ****e. Which, as we know, the world is full of. Merc's included.

This is the same nonsense that's brought in the 10yr+ annual NCT.

Either the test means something or it doesn't. The piece of metal in front of you is serviceable and safe, or not. The age is irrelevant.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

galwaytt wrote: »
    Rubbish. The car was tested, fault found, and is being repaired. The age on the number plate is irrelevant. There is simply no correlation between age and condition. It's all about maintenance and care. If there was such a correlation then there'd be no such thing as sub-10yr balls of ****e. Which, as we know, the world is full of. Merc's included.

This is the same nonsense that's brought in the 10yr+ annual NCT.

Either the test means something or it doesn't. The piece of metal in front of you is serviceable and safe, or not. The age is irrelevant.
    I have to agree with you. I have an 11 year old car and an 11 year old van . The car has 145000 miles up and I have serviced it myself every 10000 or six months witch ever comes first. It has passed every NCT first time bar one (indicator blubs were not orange enough) so far. Apart from the normal wear and tear stuff I'v had to replace the clutch but I'm going to keep it on the road as long as it makes sense to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Id count yourself lucky TBH. Anything dodgy with breaks is worth knowing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Corroded brake pipes are quite common, I failed a 04! Bmw 3 series (UK Import) the other day, brake pipes were completely rotten. I'm actually suprised, that the brake pipes on your Carina lasted that long, most Carina's that are still on the road today, had their brake pipes replaced years ago.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I know of lots of cars of various makes that have failed the NCT on brake line corrosion. The newest car that i know of was a 02 Almera that failed its NCT in 08.

Keeping the underside of the car clean of muck and salt may make a difference as I think brake pipes rust from the outside-in rather than the inside-out. Car Mechanics magazine often recommend that brake lines be "painted" with heavy grease. Not sure how long the grease would stay on or how an NCT tester would react to it, seeing as the brake lines are supposed to be visible and fairly clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

96 Carina.
    Happens to all carinas. your mechanic is lookin after you by the way thats cheap for them. manys a happy spin i got from copper face jacks in a d reg carina:D:D them were the days.....

You might be dam glad of a 96 carina some night your freezin your hole of lookin for a taxi. i would be anyway and i drive an a8 most of the time. A car is a car as long as its tested.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

No offence back at you but I found that disappointing to read......

In fact a meticulously designed and impeccably constructed 14 year old Toyota that's well maintained by its Owner, or whoever else, is in all likelihood much less likely to need recalls, Dealer replacement cover-ups or in-warranty admissions of fcuk-ups than half the wheeled biscuits tins you and your Mates are getting 10, 15 or 20 grand car loans approved for ;)

Well maybe VB's car is a smashing example and in perfect condition. If it is fair play to him. There are plenty of 96 Carinas in pretty poor condition as taxis.

However I still think Taxi drivers should be willing to spend a bit on their mode of transport. A carina isn't anyway luxurious and they arent particularly spacious. They are roughly the same size as the latest corolla which I wouldnt consider suitable for taxi work. If i've to pay the same fare to all taxi drivers i'd much prefer give it to someone who has invested in a nicer and more comfortable car. Lets face it taxi's are bloody dear in this country and you should at least get a spin in a half decent car for your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

That model of carina is one of the best cars toyota ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Corroded brake pipes are quite common, I failed a 04! Bmw 3 series (UK Import) the other day, brake pipes were completely rotten. I'm actually suprised, that the brake pipes on your Carina lasted that long, most Carina's that are still on the road today, had their brake pipes replaced years ago.

C
    My 3 series had the same problem, also a UK import,

Known problem with 3 series, especially UK imports(something about what they use in the grit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Well maybe VB's car is a smashing example and in perfect condition. If it is fair play to him. There are plenty of 96 Carinas in pretty poor condition as taxis.

However I still think Taxi drivers should be willing to spend a bit on their mode of transport. A carina isn't anyway luxurious and they arent particularly spacious. They are roughly the same size as the latest corolla which I wouldnt consider suitable for taxi work. If i've to pay the same fare to all taxi drivers i'd much prefer give it to someone who has invested in a nicer and more comfortable car. Lets face it taxi's are bloody dear in this country and you should at least get a spin in a half decent car for your money.

You're paying them for a lift from A to B, if you want luxury transport, get a limousine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

My car is kept in good condition, better than most 05 - 06 taxis ive seen on the roads. And its reliable too, and i still think its a great looking car.

But ya will be glad to know that my car will be off the road as a taxi in april 2011 :D

Ah sure as long as its reliable... never mind the fact that brakes might fail and you crash into a wall. Getting a taxi these days is like the phrase.. "You pays your money so you takes your chances"

Cannot understand how ye can honestly take money from people when driving around in such an old piece of crap?

No offence.. Eh:)

Ah sure as long as its reliable... never mind the fact that brakes might fail and you crash into a wall. Getting a taxi these days is like the phrase.. "You pays your money so you takes your chances"

Cannot understand how ye can honestly take money from people when driving around in such an old piece of crap?

Ha? Is this a joke?

- Feckin' Celtic Tiger Cubs :rolleyes:

It amazes me the amount of folks who are wandering about the motors section of boards.ie who know absolutely sweet f all about cars. Corroded brake pipes need to be replaced, they do not render the cat unroadworthy, which would be detailed on the fail cert.

Have you read the thread?

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Have you read the thread?

Its funny that the two posters sticking up for the OP and taxi's are the one's that pull me up:rolleyes:

If I am getting a lift from "A to B" then I would expect some type of decent car - not a lot to ask.

A 14 year old car is not suitable to be providing taxi services - end of.

Its funny that the two posters sticking up for the OP and taxi's are the one's that pull me up:rolleyes:

If I am getting a lift from "A to B" then I would expect some type of decent car - not a lot to ask.

I Don't remember sticking up for the OP or "pulling you up".

Could you provide evidence of this??

I merely said you are paying for a lift, not a luxury car, and if you had read the thread like I had asked if you had, you would have noticed that his car is impeccably well looked after, with leather interior and such, so the "14 years old" has nothing to do with it.

The current regulations don't agree :D End of ;)

Here's a 1961 Ferrari California Spyder

- Although I grant you it would pose the problem of where to put the taxi sign.....

original.jpg

What gives you the right to come on here and dismiss anyone else's Motor as "an old piece of crap"

- I'd give an educated guess that you fret everytime your Neighbours get a newer license plate and your own Motor is all about looks, puts status before substance and is 95% owned by the Bank.

No offence.. Eh :)

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    Ha? Is this a joke?

- Feckin' Celtic Tiger Cubs :rolleyes:

Celtic tiger cubs? What are you on about? When it costs about €40 to go from Hueston to Dublin airport I would expect to be collected in a car that is worth more than €500. Old Carina's are cramped ugly and unattractive. Taxis are very expensive in this country so I would like something nice and comfortable for my hard earned money.

There are plenty of lads going around in 10-12 year old Nissan Almeras as well and frankly if one of them arrived to collect me I would tell him go away again.

Spend a bit of money on your cars taxi drivers...You all charge enough for the service.

Celtic tiger cubs? What are you on about? When it costs about €40 to go from Hueston to Dublin airport I would expect to be collected in a car that is worth more than €500. Old Carina's are cramped ugly and unattractive. Taxis are very expensive in this country so I would like something nice and comfortable for my hard earned money.

There are plenty of lads going around in 10-12 year old Nissan Almeras as well and frankly if one of them arrived to collect me I would tell him go away again.

Spend a bit of money on your cars taxi drivers...You all charge enough for the service.

Is this John O'Donoghue?

This has to be a Troll - But on the Motors Forum??????

- Oh.......

tumblr_kumeeibodX1qzli9co1_500.jpg

This has to be a Troll - But on the Motors Forum?????

WTF are you basing that on? What have I said that is in anyway troll like?

What gives you the right to come on here and dismiss anyone else's Motor as "an old piece of crap"

- I'd give an educated guess that you fret everytime your Neighbours get a newer license plate and your own Motor is all about looks, puts status before substance and is 95% owned by the Bank.

Yawn... don't take it all to heart.

I could not care less what my neighbours own. I am happy with my lot and are not a wound up young lad like you. TBH I cannot understand why I am even meriting a response to you on this - but, I owe 0% to the bank for both our cars.

Celtic Tiger pup... Eh:D

Don't bother with you're next retort as it won't get a response - well not from me anyway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

malcox wrote: »
    Happens to all carinas. your mechanic is lookin after you by the way thats cheap for them. manys a happy spin i got from copper face jacks in a d reg carina:D:D them were the days.....

They're way better than the WW or KE reg Carina's :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

Here's a 1961 Ferrari California Spyder

- Although I grant you it would pose the problem of where to put the taxi sign.....

original.jpg

Actually they were a piece of crap when new. Worth a bit now though!

If paying for a taxi of course you expect to be safe and comfortable, does this 14 year old taxi have ABS, modern suspension for comfort, air con..etc.
    Great car for private use or when newer but not as a taxi 14 years later.

• Advertisement

Its always a great debate about my lovely executive saloon being used as a taxi. Simple facts are the car has never put off would be passangers, more often than not i will get compliments on the condition of the car. There is always a new air freshner in my taxi (the strawberry one is very popular) I did not work knowing that the brakes lines are corroded, even though there is a very slim chance the brakes would fail, it was repaired today and is fine. (i had a look at old lines at very least there is alot of muck on them more than corrosion atleast)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Its always a great debate about my lovely executive saloon being used as a taxi. Simple facts are the car has never put off would be passangers, more often than not i will get compliments on the condition of the car. There is always a new air freshner in my taxi (the strawberry one is very popular) I did not work knowing that the brakes lines are corroded, even though there is a very slim chance the brakes would fail, it was repaired today and is fine. (i had a look at old lines at very least there is alot of muck on them more than corrosion atleast)

I will be honest here, I am no fan of Carina E's as taxis. Although I must commend you on the condition you keep yours in and how presentable it looks.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I will be honest here, I am no fan of Carina E's as taxis. Although I must commend you on the condition you keep yours in and how presentable it looks.

Thanks man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

My luxobarge failed last night too...but just for one mis-aligned headlamp :D
    It's the second time that a tester has tried hard to squeeze it through the emissions test. I think it helps if they like the car and can see that some effort has been put into looking after it.
    It's an ex-taxi and in much better nick now than in it's PSV days. It's more comfortable, better specced and roomier than a lot of new cars.
    Mid to late '90s Jap cars ftw.

Well the re-test was today and it passed! Car is good until 04/11! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

kazul wrote: »
    My luxobarge failed last night too...but just for one mis-aligned headlamp :D
    It's the second time that a tester has tried hard to squeeze it through the emissions test. I think it helps if they like the car and can see that some effort has been put into looking after it.
    It's an ex-taxi and in much better nick now than in it's PSV days. It's more comfortable, better specced and roomier than a lot of new cars.
    Mid to late '90s Jap cars ftw.

What is it? LS400? Maxima?

Confab wrote: »
    What is it? LS400? Maxima?

Think its a Cerifio ya know a JDM Maxima.

Well the re-test was today and it passed! Car is good until 04/11! :)
    well done great car them carinas. I would love a carina 2 diesel they were so comfy to drive, and so bland!!! but what the hell they were great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭feelites

if i would drive carina as a taxi i would be VERY shame!!

there should be a regulations in the law allowing only cars younger than 10 years as a taxi

when i pay i expect....

i hate them dirty carinas and primeras on steel wheels and black taxi drivers!

strawberry air freshener?
    NO THANK YOU
    i prefer natural leather interior scent

and as i dont want to be O/T

VB you are so angry about this that u had to pay 70euro for fixing the car.... oh my GOD... bless your passangers !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Celtic tiger cubs? Old Carina's are cramped ugly and unattractive. .

Does your taxi need to be attractive:D
    The Carina e was a huge car for its class. If you think that they are cramped you are mad in the head. They are bigger inside then a merc e class.

feelites wrote: »

there should be a regulations in the law allowing only cars younger than 10 years as a taxi

when i pay i expect....

NO THANK YOU

VB you are so angry about this that u had to pay 70euro for fixing the car.... oh my GOD... bless your passangers !!

Are you for real ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

feelites wrote: »

when i pay i expect....

NO THANK YOU

That's a pretty crappy attitude, and it won't be popular here.

Tone it down or move along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Think its a Cerifio ya know a JDM Maxima.

Bingo!
    Here she is last week. Got my headlight done today so she's pretty much guaranteed an NCT.
    Replaced the alternator belt tensioner today, tricky job but great satisfaction. Part was €200 plus VAT from Nissan and 8 week wait from Japan. Got one off a breaker this morning for €20 and did it myself.
    It was rattling like a diesel and it's purring like a big cat again.
    I think I'll treat her to a coat of wax tomorrow as a reward.

Cefiro lettering on back sourced from kuwait, fitted self.
    New (spurious and loud) exhaust sourced from germany, fitted self.
    Second hand catalytic convertor from uk to pass last NCT, fitted self.
    Front drop links to pass last NCT, fitted self.

I'm well chuffed with my bangernomics motor :D

kazul wrote: »
    Bingo!
    Here she is last week. Got my headlight done today so she's pretty much guaranteed an NCT.
    Replaced the alternator belt tensioner today, tricky job but great satisfaction. Part was €200 plus VAT from Nissan and 8 week wait from Japan. Got one off a breaker this morning for €20 and did it myself.
    It was rattling like a diesel and it's purring like a big cat again.
    I think I'll treat her to a coat of wax tomorrow as a reward.

Cefiro lettering on back sourced from kuwait, fitted self.
    New (spurious and loud) exhaust sourced from germany, fitted self.
    Second hand catalytic convertor from uk to pass last NCT, fitted self.
    Front drop links to pass last NCT, fitted self.

I'm well chuffed with my bangernomics motor :D
    Your dead right. its gas i think them old jap imports and the carina e are nearly a part of dublin taxi driving like the pint of guinness is..I hate snots that think that these cars even though their tested arent good enough for them.

-Chris- wrote: »
    That's a pretty crappy attitude, and it won't be popular here.

Tone it down or move along.

Here Here read my post above i think you will agree...:):).

• Advertisement
Advertisement