Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi-tec boots - any good ?

Options
  • 26-01-2010 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Any opinions on Hi-tec boots ?

I just want a reasonable pair for light trekking so I dont want to spend a fortune. Are Hi-Tec any good ? Are Karrimor better ?. Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

Dunno anything about Karrimor. Had Hi Tec and they lasted about 3 short treks before bursting. Took then back and did get a credit note, but my experience was bad.

I can appreciate the desire to avoid spending a fortune, I get all fleeces, raingear etc in places like TK Maxx, but if I was spending 70 or 80 on Hi Tec anyway think I'd tack on an extra 40 or so and get something like Berghaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

in short no, not really.

its worth spending a little more to move up a brand or two especially with the sales on at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭westeire

I have a pair of Hi-Tec Quebec boots that I bought in TK Maxx for €50 , they are over a year old and still look good and they still keep most of water out.

westeire wrote: »
    I have a pair of Hi-Tec Quebec boots that I bought in TK Maxx for €50 , they are over a year old and still look good and they still keep most of water out.

I don't want to be smart or dismissive, and if they work for you, great. But I want ugly boots that keep all of the water out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Dunno anything about Karrimor. Had Hi Tec and they lasted about 3 short treks before bursting. Took then back and did get a credit note, but my experience was bad.

I can appreciate the desire to avoid spending a fortune, I get all fleeces, raingear etc in places like TK Maxx, but if I was spending 70 or 80 on Hi Tec anyway think I'd tack on an extra 40 or so and get something like Berghaus.

Interesting, was just looking at a pair of Hi-Tecs on sale at €75 I think..
    Might spend the extra if they aren't up to it though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

westeire wrote: »

Well theres a reason right there if ever I saw one

EDIT: Here
    Columbia are ok, I've got a pair of mountain runner from them, can't fault them at all.

coup1917 wrote: »
    Interesting, was just looking at a pair of Hi-Tecs on sale at €75 I think..
    Might spend the extra if they aren't up to it though..

Not sure about Berghaus mind, I don't have them, just that a friend was buying lately and asked me the exact same 'should I buy Hi Tec' question, he went for Berghaus for an extra 40 and really likes them.

Columbia seem to be a popular brand priced just above Hi Tec, maybe do an advanced search for that word on this forum and get some reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭westeire

Originally Posted by westeire viewpost.gif

I should have said thats after walking across a few streams and getting the boots completely wet that they would be damp inside. I know that Hi-Tec may not be be the best brand but I think these boots are great for price. I also have a pair of Lowa army gortex boots which are great and never let in a drop water but they are heavy and your feet get hot, thats why I wear Hi-tec most of time.

Advertisement