Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

95 Ford Probe - MAJOR steering problem

Options
  • 26-01-2010 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I've just bought a 95 Ford Probe and when i accelerate the car veers violently to the right. The tyres are fine and alignment has just been done and hasn't solved the problem. Can anybody give me some advice on this please?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

hmp wrote: »
    I've just bought a 95 Ford Probe and when i accelerate the car veers violently to the right. The tyres are fine and alignment has just been done and hasn't solved the problem. Can anybody give me some advice on this please?
    Thanks

If it is front wheel drive it sounds like torque steer which you can't do anything about.
    On an unrelated note, are many jokes made about you driving a probe???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If it is front wheel drive it sounds like torque steer which you can't do anything about.
    On an unrelated note, are many jokes made about you driving a probe???:D

They are dreadful cars alright (sorry OP). Is it an older V6? They're well known for torque steer.

Confab wrote: »
    They are dreadful cars alright (sorry OP). Is it an older V6? They're well known for torque steer.

I meant jokes about the WORD probe, and the fact the the OP drives one!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hmp

Only got the car last nite so i've only been hit with one joke so far but it's early days. I thought it might be torque steer alright but wasn't quite sure as it is so severe. Anything that can be done to ease it a bit?

I know it's not a great car but managed to get the car for only €300 and there's 99k miles on the clock so can afford to spend a little on her.

Only got the car last nite so i've only been hit with one joke so far but it's early days. I thought it might be torque steer alright but wasn't quite sure as it is so severe. Anything that can be done to ease it a bit?

I know it's not a great car but managed to get the car for only €300 and there's 99k miles on the clock so can afford to spend a little on her.

I don't think there is anything you can do apart from ease off the throttle in lower gears. - It only happens when you plant the boot at low speeds right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

€300? Worth it so. They do have good engines taken from the MX-6.. As above, the only way around is to just avoid booting it in lower gears.

Shouldn't the thread title say 'Major Probelem'? ;)

Yeah only seems to be when I put the boot down. Might try putting in stiffer control arm bushings and see if it makes any difference
    Thanks a lot for your help.

:D I'll consider editing the thread title :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would be looking at front suspension bushes. Worn suspension can make barely noticeable torque steer become very bad to the point of being dangerous. So if you start with a car thats known for torque steer, you really need to have everything tight up front to make it any way normal to drive. Does it shoot left or right on the brakes too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Might try putting in stiffer control arm bushings and see if it makes any difference

Ah, to stiffen up the probe,
    worth a shot !

O dear !! :D:D:D

mickdw wrote: »
    I would be looking at front suspension bushes. Worn suspension can make barely noticeable torque steer become very bad to the point of being dangerous. So if you start with a car thats known for torque steer, you really need to have everything tight up front to make it any way normal to drive. Does it shoot left or right on the brakes too?

Thanks Mickdw. Doesn't shoot either way when braking, only on hard acceleration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The stiffer bushes are an excellent idea imo. Also try slightly narrower wheels or tyres with more give in the side wall if you currently are running very wide tyres on large rims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

ask/search here

http://forums.probetalk.com/index.php

they know everything you could imagine about probes :D

Absurdum wrote: »
    ask/search here

http://forums.probetalk.com/index.php

they know everything you could imagine about probes :D

GREAT HELP ABSURDUM. THANKS A MILLION.

Advertisement