Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week

Options
  • 26-01-2010 6:19pm

What are the dates for RAG week this year? a friend of mine has to book time off.

I think its the week before the week off like last year, i.e. week 9 but im not certain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

22-25 March (week 9)

Its also going to be called Charity Week

Thanks for the quick reply!

no prob

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

the change of name is a joke its going to be exactly the same no point glossing over the fact its a piss up were some money gets raised

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ULSU Hat on:

In relation to the re-naming, we've got 2 guys who are doing link-ins/co-op modules who are going to work on creating a fundraising ethos. Also the fact from the student survey that 35% of people didn't know what RAG stood for meant we had to act and spell it out as if explaining to a Martian that the whole point of the week is to raise money. €20k simply will not cut it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Also speaking as a Students' Union Officer.

The idea of the new name is not to gloss over anything; it is to raise awareness of what the week is about. As the majority of students think it is just "a piss up where some money gets raised", we want to raise the profile of the charity side of it. We hope that students will begin to think of it primarily as a week for charity rather than a week to get drunk. The Raising and Giving aspect has been completely lost on account of the RAG abbreviation and this is a problem faced by all colleges across Ireland.

Isn't it better to try something than to do nothing and vainly hope things will improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gazza1000

Hey All,
    Sorry to ask a nerdy question but what is the story with lectures and tutorials on this week? Do they go ahead??

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Gazza1000 wrote: »
    Hey All,
    Sorry to ask a nerdy question but what is the story with lectures and tutorials on this week? Do they go ahead??
    It's up to the lecturer, most don't bother unless it's important material (iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ninty9er wrote: »
    Also the fact from the student survey that 35% of people didn't know what RAG stood for meant we had to act and spell it out as if explaining to a Martian that the whole point of the week is to raise money.
    To be fair, what it stands for (variously "Raise and give", "raising and giving", "raise a grand" etc depending on which college is running it) is a backronym formed for the much older "Rag" in the past eight or so years so it's not as though it's got any more pedigree than the much maligned Kollege Week. There are those who think that it's always stood for "raise and give" as well and hence only know slightly more than those who didn't know it stood for anything (although obviously those guys are aware of the official reason for the week). So they can't really be blamed that much.

For what it's worth though, "Charity Week" is a nice name (thumbs up there), emphasising the ostensible and official purpose. And for those of us who have wet dreams about etymology, it obviously includes both giving to worthy causes and the older meaning of kindness towards others (with cash obviously). I will be disappointed in a few years if that suddenly stands for "come here and raise Irish thousands, you" or something equally inane though:) Of course now that I've overanalysed it, it's suddenly less fun:p

Anyhoo, an aside. Moving back to the funzone, I'm sure the week will be great. Who's playing gigs at it then or is that decided yet?

Ah sceptre, finally someone who also understands the whole raising and giving thing

anyhoo while i see the point in the rebranding, i don't see it catching on overall. To most students it will still be known as rag week, especially when all the clubs, pubs, off licenses etc will be advertising their "rag week" events and specials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I think having a target is the best idea. Aim to raise €50,000 (say for arguments sake there's 10,000 students so a fiver each) and have a daily tally during the week so you can see how close you are. Push the fact that that if everyone contributes the price of only one pint then you're collecting quite a substantial amount collectively, and use the daily tally both as advertising and it makes it a bit more dramatic with the final push etc.

Is that inflatable cinema still knocking around?

ergonomics wrote: »

Isn't it better to try something than to do nothing and vainly hope things will improve?

its not the trying i have a problem with i just think its a crap idea

rag week is the brand already and its a week of drinking were charity benefits from some of the profit or whatever, thats not going to change no matter what you change the name to. the better idea is keep the name advertise what it really means(or a group of meanings) and force the **** out of the collections for charity

changing the name imo is an easy way to say oh well we did something but the students arent paying attention its not our fault

funkstards got the right idea pushing the raising and giving with all your might is all it needs people will either give or they wont the name dosnt matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

PeakOutput wrote: »
    changing the name imo is an easy way to say oh well we did something but the students arent paying attention its not our fault

I'm kinda disappointed that you think we would be that lazy.

The name is just one in a whole number of things we plan to do this semester. For instance, there are 4 days in Charity Week and 4 Raising and Giving Charities. Thus one day of each week is going to be devoted to one of the Charities. There's going to be an Irish Heart Foundation Day, a Limerick Youth Service day, a Make-A-Wish Day and a Mid-West Simon Community Day. Each day will have events relating to the charity of the day.

I'm going to do a full page profile on each of the charities in An Focal which outlines what the charity is about and how your donations will help. The first profile, which is in the current An Focal, looks at Limerick Youth Service and how just 50c per student will allow them to soundproof a music room and recording studio which could be used as youth radio station in future.

We've got ourselves two fundraising coordinators who are organising events to raise money for the Raising and Giving Charities so we can ensure that as much is raised as possible. I could go on and on.

Everyone is welcome to email sugetinvolved@ul.ie too if they have ideas of things we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm kinda disappointed that you think we would be that lazy.

The name is just one in a whole number of things we plan to do this semester. For instance, there are 4 days in Charity Week and 4 Raising and Giving Charities.......

Hmmmm maybe the focus should be on not having this happen again.

rgunning wrote: »
    Hmmmm maybe the focus should be on not having this happen again.
    That is one of a handful of isolated incidents that we do not want to see repeated, but the residents quoted in those articles must realise that it is individuals who cause this damage, not the University or the Students' Union.

If it had happened any other time of the year it would have been a Garda matter only. Residents have taken the absolute piss complaining about RAG week in the past, when they have similar complaints throughout the semester.

There is NOTHING the University or the Students' Union can do to control the idiots who cause damage, they are individuals and adults in the same way as any other resident of Castletroy.

In terms of the name, it was better to make it explicit to the people who had no idea that this is what it is for. It is NOT about getting twisted 5 days straight, it is about making money for our 4 charities.

Like Aoife already said...50c per student/faculty and staff this week and each of the next 8 weeks would make over €60k. It not like we're asking for blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

its 勿ot the trying 吾 have a problem with 吾 just 思hink its a crap 意dea

I disagree. Certainly the current idea of RAG week has been fairly well ingrained into the minds of the older students but for first years like myself (and my friends - if our conversations are anything to go by) the name change has changed our attitudes to it already. Also the publicity its recieving at the moment has helped. Before I used to wish it would go away (not the biggest fan of drunken crowds) but now I know what its for I wish it every success.

Besides that, name and brand changing is something plenty of companies employ to drastically (and often successfully) alter the image of a product in the mind of their target audience. It's considered one of the most effective methods of boosting sales, etc. so I would commend the SU for taking this initiative.

I disagree. Certainly the current idea of RAG week has been fairly well ingrained into the minds of the older students but for first years like myself (and my friends - if our conversations are anything to go by) the name change has changed our attitudes to it already. Also the publicity its recieving at the moment has helped. Before I used to wish it would go away (not the biggest fan of drunken crowds) but now I know what its for I wish it every success.

Besides that, name and brand changing is something plenty of companies employ to drastically (and often successfully) alter the image of a product in the mind of their target audience. It's considered one of the most effective methods of boosting sales, etc. so I would commend the SU for taking this initiative.

thats great but if the general attitude of the week changes (ie less of the drinking and partying) i guarantee you revenue to the charities will go down as well. participation encourages donation and if people get bored and dont participate its the charities that suffer. like it or not the piss up part is part of it and if you change that it will become just like any other week like sexual health week that is barely noticed by the student population and again as a result the charities will suffer

obviously i hope it works im over the 5 day benders and trying to knuckle down so it dosnt bother me either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Funkstard wrote: »
    I think having a target is the best idea. Aim to raise €50,000 (say for arguments sake there's 10,000 students so a fiver each) and have a daily tally during the week so you can see how close you are. Push the fact that that if everyone contributes the price of only one pint then you're collecting quite a substantial amount collectively, and use the daily tally both as advertising and it makes it a bit more dramatic with the final push etc.

I think that is an absolutly fantastic idea, set the bar at what was raised last year and try to match it again which should be achievable given the branding change and the more emphises on charity.

On another note, any ideas on activites? Will the great race be going ahead again this year? I want to know in advance so that my useless driving friends cant use lack of warning as an excuse to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

Its still just going to be called Rag Week anyways by the majority!

entropic wrote: »
    Will the great race be going ahead again this year?
    Yes. I'm working on it with Fergal and the Events PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Is this still going ahead after last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

thats great but if the general attitude of the week changes (ie less of the drinking and partying) i guarantee you revenue to the charities will go down as well. participation encourages donation and if people get bored and dont participate its the charities that suffer. like it or not the piss up part is part of it and if you change that it will become just like any other week like sexual health week that is barely noticed by the student population and again as a result the charities will suffer

obviously i hope it works im over the 5 day benders and trying to knuckle down so it dosnt bother me either way

It's a pity that this may in fact be true but what we need to do is come up with innovative ways to encourage donations apart from alcohol. For example in NUIM they have lecture interruption from their comedy club. Its pointless just conceding to student's attitudes, we need to aim to change them.

Here are some other ideas I've come across: nearly naked mile; nude calender; try to find wally on campus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 schuman_stalker

@pervertedcoffee don't be afraid to pass on the suggestions to the rockett man or derek every little helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dragonheart

hay all....first year in ul so just wondering what to epect from rag week/charity week?

hay all....first year in ul so just wondering what to epect from rag week/charity week?

organised chaos

oh god is it that bad?? i heard about the car n stuff and am worried about my belonings??

oh god is it that bad?? i heard about the car n stuff and am worried about my belonings??

more than likely you will be fine

if you live on campus you will defo be grand as you have security to call on

more than likely you will be fine

if you live on campus you will defo be grand as you have security to call on
    dont live on campus unfortunately, living in elm park which is prob the worst thing...overheard 2 female housemates chatting saying they were planning to stick in big groups no matter what because "YOU KNOW WHAT FELLAS ARE LIKE WHEN DRINKING ALL DAY FOR RAG WEEK......." is this a misconception of the dangers???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dont live on campus unfortunately, living in elm park which is prob the worst thing...overheard 2 female housemates chatting saying they were planning to stick in big groups no matter what because "YOU KNOW WHAT FELLAS ARE LIKE WHEN DRINKING ALL DAY FOR RAG WEEK......." is this a misconception of the dangers???

Broadly speaking, it's certainly a dramatic exaggeration of the dangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Raving

I'm delighted to be going to Milan for rag week as a part of a module. Most students were very unhappy about it being on the same week as rag week but being someone who doesn't enjoy drinking I personally find rag week a complete pain. Sure in the societies I'm in we run events to raise money which are fun but other then that it's chaos.

Advertisement