Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭LauraOrlagh

I love the idea of RAG week but I do agree it's pretty much become an excuse for a lazy drinking week. While I agree with attempts to re-brand it to Charity Week, and while I think Ruan (the ULSU President) deserves great credit not only for this but for all of his work during the past year, I don't think the name 'Charity Week' is going to catch on.
    It's too long - simple as that. RAG is one syllable, Charity is 2; you need something snappier in order for it to catch on. That's probably the reason RAG caught on so much in the first place and why it came to a stage where people weren't sure what it stood for anymore.

I don't have a name to even suggest at the moment to be honest, but it just needs to be snappier I'm afraid, maybe Will Week (good will.. a lead into what students will do to help charities etc.).. I don't know..
    Laura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dragonheart

I don't have a name to even suggest at the moment to be honest, but it just needs to be snappier I'm afraid, maybe Will Week (good will.. a lead into what students will do to help charities etc.).. I don't know..
    Laura
    people will start calling it willy week and give out a wrong message as to whats acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raving

Or if they started calling it Willy week people could get it confused with S.H.A.G week as well! =P

people will start calling it willy week and give out a wrong message as to whats acceptable?

OK there's no guarantee that would have happened but now that you've suggested it would it will.. but anyway like I said.. I don't have the real answer for the name, if you guys can come up with something snappier which still has the charity theme be my guest :)

I think Charity week is a good name for now. There was no point this year to actually changing it to something catchy because the point was that people never knew what RAG week stood for where as Charity week is really obvious. It's not the most creative name but I think it is atleast good at bringing across its message, which is much better than what RAG week did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

dont live on campus unfortunately, living in elm park which is prob the worst thing...overheard 2 female housemates chatting saying they were planning to stick in big groups no matter what because "YOU KNOW WHAT FELLAS ARE LIKE WHEN DRINKING ALL DAY FOR RAG WEEK......." is this a misconception of the dangers???

Well no but it's also true if you replace RAG week with any drinking occasion. Your always advised to stay in groups any night you go out drinking and that is good advice. Although there is alot of anti social behaviour during RAG week you can avoid most of the hassle with some common sense. Stay in groups, if you have to go anywhere alone make sure people expect you somewhere or that you will text someone when you arive.

If your not going to participate in RAG week then that's fine but don't expect Elm Park to be quite.

Raving wrote: »
    I think Charity week is a good name for now. There was no point this year to actually changing it to something catchy because the point was that people never knew what RAG week stood for where as Charity week is really obvious. It's not the most creative name but I think it is atleast good at bringing across its message, which is much better than what RAG week did.

Hmm, yes I know I'm contradicting myself now which I rarely do but I agree with you. I suppose the main aim this year was to raise awareness of what Charity week is actually about - Charity and not drinking non-stop.

I do agree that it's name will have to be changed again but for the next year or so I do believe that it is the best name to use for it. Who knows, maybe they'll even be some really good events that aren't related to drinking this year. I was going to do the sleep out as that sounded like it's going to be a lot of fun but I shall be away. However I also live in Briarfield which means they'll be none stop parties, which makes me glad to be missing this year. =P I shall make sure to leave some money for donations anyway! ^^

OK there's no guarantee that would have happened but now that you've suggested it would it will.. but anyway like I said.. I don't have the real answer for the name, if you guys can come up with something snappier which still has the charity theme be my guest :)
    well to be honest i think keeping away from sexually suggestive names could actually decrease the level of sex/assaults so thats why i think charity week is good imo

entropic wrote: »
    Well no but it's also true if you replace RAG week with any drinking occasion. Your always advised to stay in groups any night you go out drinking and that is good advice. Although there is alot of anti social behaviour during RAG week you can avoid most of the hassle with some common sense. Stay in groups, if you have to go anywhere alone make sure people expect you somewhere or that you will text someone when you arive.

If your not going to participate in RAG week then that's fine but don't expect Elm Park to be quite.
    ya that elm park point is fair like, aslong as it doesnt go too far the car has me worried tho after last year! thanks 4 d tips also especially with the links between rag week and rape accusations...whether true or not:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Can we speak in non txtspk please.

You have a full keyboard there.

sorry moderator...was in a hurry to get the message away:D

ya looking forward to my first charity week...lets hope it passes without any of the so called "fun antics" that a few idiots call "messin'"...any one else think this is fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

RAG is one syllable, Charity is 2;

*facepalm*

RAG is one syllable, Charity is 2

Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr Lightweight

Call it what you want, at the end of the day it will always be 'rag week' - people are going to drink during the day and go out a lot more than usual for that one specific week before the easter break.

This year however is going to be different. I am worried about a few things.

In my opinion it's one of the dullest line ups ever. The only thing really worth a look is The Coronas - and thats just because they've never been here before. Secondly it really scares me that the Stables and Javas cant serve on campus until after 6pm everyday. That is shocking. Looks like the times of hundreds of people drinking on the grass outside the library are gone. I can also see security trying to come down hard on drinking in public - even though it's easy to get away from them. Whatever. In my opinion it's going to be a week of many house parties and random nights in the Lodge.

And of course in the end there will be thousands of euro lost on poor ticket sales and more lost on paying for damaged property. FUN FUN FUN :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

it really scares me that the Stables and Javas cant serve on campus until after 6pm everyday. That is shocking. Looks like the times of hundreds of people drinking on the grass outside the library are gone. I can also see security trying to come down hard on drinking in public - even though it's easy to get away from them. Whatever. In my opinion it's going to be a week of many house parties and random nights in the Lodge.

About time. The amount of drinking on campus was a joke.

Nockz wrote: »
    About time. The amount of drinking on campus was a joke.

In my opinion they are kind of doing us a favor. We are going to spend less money in the pub and just get a bag of cans instead. The only thing missing is the atmosphere that comes with daytime drinking in the sun amongst hundreds of other students. Don't get me wrong - I go to college, do my work, pass my exams - but I love nothing more than chilling with a pint on a sunny day with my friends. Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

In my opinion it's one of the dullest line ups ever. The only thing really worth a look is The Coronas - and thats just because they've never been here before.

ul lineups are always shocking to be honest this one does seem particularly bad
    Secondly it really scares me that the Stables and Javas cant serve on campus until after 6pm everyday. That is shocking. Looks like the times of hundreds of people drinking on the grass outside the library are gone.

its a bit stupid restricting them but you were never allowed drink on the green in front of the library(at least as long as iv been here) but if your discrete about it and clean up after yourself its never been a problem when iv done it

i think people should be allowed drink on campus in public but there should be absolutely no tolerance for unruly behaviour anyone steps out of line security clamp down and they get hauled up in front of the disciplinary commitee one year of that (the committee will be busy no doubt) should calm things down alot as soon as suspensions start getting handed out

people should be given the freedom but punished harshly when they abuse that imo. right now they are technically not allowed do what everyone will be doing and not getting in any trouble for anyway

Anyone remember when there were about 200 - 300 drinking out on the grass and security couldn't move anyone? They called the gards and their efforts were futile as well. Needless to say I don't really remember what happened after that.. but it was a fun day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Where's this whole thing about the pubs not serving alcohol until 6pm?

If it is true, i will be very disapointed. This will only push the drinking off campus and lead to problems with residents. It will also kill any hope of building a good atmosphere on campus

As for the line-up, its ok but not sure if its worth the €30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone remember when there were about 200 - 300 drinking out on the grass and security couldn't move anyone? They called the gards and their efforts were futile as well. Needless to say I don't really remember what happened after that.. but it was a fun day :D

Have your fun indeed. At least throw your (pl) rubbish in the bins

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

YFlyer wrote: »
    Have your fun indeed. At least throw your (pl) rubbish in the bins

Historically part of the trouble there is that campus security won't or decide they can't move the lawn-drinking students but won't officially recognise that they're there. So they're actually there but no-one will put a bin there until the bottles are already all over the grass, if even then. Hence as with everywhere else in the universe, where there's no bin there's likely to be rubbish left there and more rubbish at that. I don't like that fact but it's the same the world over. Then staff get aggrieved because of the rubbish, email each other with pictures of the rubbish on the opinions list as if that will actually achieve something beyond catty remarks, nothing changes and the same thing happens the following year or month if it's sunny enough.

Ignoring the rights or wrongs of lawn drinking and only dealing with the practicalities, there are largely three options: prevent it (difficult but not impossible), ignore it (in a practical sense this is what's been done as emailing each other is well, useless), grudgingly facilitate it (which is the practical solution), tied in with the corollary of containing it (that's where the bins come in). Not everyone wil put their things in the bin as just with the SU common room, some people are self-centred pigs (not exclusively a student attribute but they're the only ones on the lawn and hence the only applicable group for this). But in the absence of bins, almost no-one will carry their rubbish to the nearest one if they can even remember where that is. That's what the rest of civilissation has taught us about public groups and rubbish, it's not as though there's a magical bubble in UL that gets people to behave differently.

Can't have it both ways. Ignore the "problem" and there's a bigger mess. Facilitate and part-control it in the event that the weather is sunny and there's likely to be a lesser mess. One or the other, common sense approach. Mind you, judging where some of the UL paths are laid out, common sense might be at a premium. The uni authorities could just give permission to the SU to put out some bins, then it's their problem. But if they do it too late then it's the same mere moan as last year... and the year before... and it's a bit idiotic to do the same actions over and over and expect a different result... an academic environment would be expected to recognise that.

So yeah, you're right. Bins are good. Using them is good. But if the same actions are taken as for the previous years by everyone involved who knows what happened previously and has the central power to take action to change it, don't be surprised when the end is precisely the same undesirable result.

Voice of reason meets the voice of doom with an element of prediction. Progress, yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hi speptre

I can bring that issue up with a number of people I know in the UL Environmental Committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hi speptre

I can bring that issue up with a number of people I know in the UL Environmental Committee.
    That'd be a great idea, cheers. Colin Fitzpatrick in particular has a good head on his shoulders and might see the practical solution as the best one. Either way, thanks, worth raising the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Secondly it really scares me that the Stables and Javas cant serve on campus until after 6pm everyday. That is shocking.

This is a load of nonsense! Who told you this??

The Stables Club will be serving alcohol from 12pm during Charity Week, as it does every other day that it opens..See here:
    THE STABLES CLUB ON FACEBOOK:
    Apparently, a friend of a friend has been told that the Stables bar won't be open until 6pm during Charity Week. It's not true. The bar will be opening at 12pm, as it does every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Mossin wrote: »
    This is a load of nonsense! Who told you this??

The Stables Club will be serving alcohol from 12pm during Charity Week, as it does every other day that it opens..See here:

In fairness i've heard it from quite a lot of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tweety_bird

Thank jeebus no more blizzards..good band but not every year in a row!! good to see the coronas playing,a must see in my opinion!

rubberbandits are class lads, to be honest dont know if alot of people outside of limerick will get their humor. Shane McGowan on thur?? This man is a total legend in his own right.

other than that all seems to be fairly quiet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GarryJ

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    In fairness i've heard it from quite a lot of people

From people trying to sabotage the SU election for the incumbents that are running maybe? You might notice that the person that brought this up on this thread has admitted to be actively campaigning for one of the presidential candidates. Coincidence??? (And before anybody starts taking a shot at me for pointing this out, I'm not taking sides in this election. In fact I'm not even voting, as I hope to be gone before the winners take office, so it has no impact on my life).

There has been more cheap shots in this election already than I've seen in the all of the rest of the elections I have been around for combined.

And back to the subject of this thread, this will be my tenth rag week in UL and the majority of them sucked, but that is the more the nature of the beast than any bodies fault, from my point of view at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bogshepherd

3 words spring to mind.... The Great Race

Who's doin it an is it worth doin? I've been lookin forward to it since hearing about it as a non UL student last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

My mates did it last year. Did an insane amount of travelling; they did bitch about the organisation of it though - didn't find out until really late they hadn't won (****ed up their plans for Thursday night) and they reckoned they had enough points to win but it was given to the team that raised the most for charity. They had serious craic though; as one of them said, it's a slightly surreal feeling chatting Bella outside McCoys on the set of Fair City. :D

Advertisement