Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sleepy_head

Tag rugby looks to be some laugh.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

3 words spring to mind.... The Great Race

Who's doin it an is it worth doin? I've been lookin forward to it since hearing about it as a non UL student last year!

iv been trying to organise an rv to do this this year but i wont be able to raise 500 at this stage so if the rv somes threw just gonna go on a road trip and get away from the madness for a day or two with a few mates

my course mates won it last year they seemed to enjoy it but i dont know if id be doing it to win like they did id say you could have way more craic just taking it handy

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭luosymnisiAZIBI

what on earth is the great race? :-)

sounds so cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Where's the line up for this years rag week folks? Across the other side of the world but still interested in seeing what quality it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Funkstard wrote: »
    Where's the line up for this years rag week folks? Across the other side of the world but still interested in seeing what quality it is!

See attached pdf that was emailed around to all students by Ruan last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Hello UL students, do ye know if a LIT student such as myself will get into the pubs/clubs in town next week without UL student id?

Jigga wrote: »
    Hello UL students, do ye know if a LIT student such as myself will get into the pubs/clubs in town next week without UL student id?

as long as you get there early you will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Anyone know if the stables will be open from around half 1 to half 3 ish on sunday?
    I heard a few people saying the campus pubs have to close for a few hours during the day during rag week, they did it when i went up to ucc's, and i was just wondering if anyone knows if this applies to sunday or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

why not ring them 061330139

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

I am loving all the rumours coming out this year, apparently (1)if there is any trouble then all 3 campus bars will not have their licences renewed.(2) If there is any trouble with the residents then the SU will be in court trying to avoid a substantial pay-out. (3)The bars will close during the day(already said to be false). (4) If its rowdy on Monday then the gardai will be instructed to start bringing in students by the van full to the station.

These are the most credible rumours I have heard but I wouldn't believe any of them.

• Advertisement

entropic wrote: »
    I am loving all the rumours coming out this year, apparently (1)if there is any trouble then all 3 campus bars will not have their licences renewed.(2) If there is any trouble with the residents then the SU will be in court trying to avoid a substantial pay-out. (3)The bars will close during the day(already said to be false). (4) If its rowdy on Monday then the gardai will be instructed to start bringing in students by the van full to the station.

none of those things are gonna happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Actually there is some truth in point number 1. The SU has been given a pre-emptive letter from residents, or one resident I'm not sure of the details, saying that if there is any trouble this year (this is all paraphrasing of course and I don't know what they will define as trouble) then when the pubs on campus go to get their licences renewed in court (which happens every year - I know my family used to run a pub) the residents will object which has a strong probability of resulting in their licences being revoked...which all sounds very credible to me.

Point number two is probably an exaggeration of point number 1. :D

Actually there is some truth in point number 1. The SU has been given a pre-emptive letter from residents, or one resident I'm not sure of the details, saying that if there is any trouble this year (this is all paraphrasing of course and I don't know what they will define as trouble) then when the pubs on campus go to get their licences renewed in court (which happens every year - I know my family used to run a pub) the residents will object which has a strong probability of resulting in their licences being revoked...which all sounds very credible to me.

i dont believe 3 licences will be revoked over the actions of a vast vast minority during 4 days of the entire year i just dont see it happening

also dont the bars have club licences which are different to a regular pub licences? i dont know what those differences are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i dont believe 3 licences will be revoked over the actions of a vast vast minority during 4 days of the entire year i just dont see it happening

also dont the bars have club licences which are different to a regular pub licences? i dont know what those differences are

Don't forget that the residents have to put up with trouble during the week year in, year out. You may only be in UL for 4 years but they may have lived in the area a lot longer and at this point a lot of them are just plain sick of. Also, it isn't just 4 days of the entire year. Some residents are subject to trouble every week of the academic year. Charity Week is just a culmination of it all.

In other words, Charity Week could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. If a resident objects to the renewal of the licence I would imagine the judge would consider how many complaints are made to the Gardai during the academic year rather than just one week. They'd look at the overall impact of the pubs in the area rather than the impact of one week.

The pubs on campus do have club licences but anyone can still object to renewal of this licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

On a slightly different note....................Woooooooooooooooooooooo :D I am so excited! Apart from the fact I have a 40% smelly english assignment to be handed in at 2 on monday which I have yet to start, but apart from that, it is going to be a great week :D

ergonomics wrote: »
    Don't forget that the residents have to put up with trouble during the week year in, year out. You may only be in UL for 4 years but they may have lived in the area a lot longer and at this point a lot of them are just plain sick of. Also, it isn't just 4 days of the entire year. Some residents are subject to trouble every week of the academic year. Charity Week is just a culmination of it all.

In other words, Charity Week could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. If a resident objects to the renewal of the licence I would imagine the judge would consider how many complaints are made to the Gardai during the academic year rather than just one week. They'd look at the overall impact of the pubs in the area rather than the impact of one week.

The pubs on campus do have club licences but anyone can still object to renewal of this licence.

i dont see it being too hard to argue that the lodge is the problem and not the 3 pubs on campus

i just dont see it happening there are far too many variables for these 3 licences to be revoked after complaints from residents. also bearing in mind that the university has been there since 1972 and the stables has been there for more than 20 i dont think they are going anywhere also the im sure students out number other locals by quite a bit so who is the court obliged to listen to, we are residents aswell.

finally i dont agree with any of the anti social behaviour and think it needs to be seriously clamped down on BUT i dont think any of the 'rumours' he posted are likely to actually happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

JimmyMoose wrote: »
    On a slightly different note....................Woooooooooooooooooooooo :D I am so excited! Apart from the fact I have a 40% smelly english assignment to be handed in at 2 on monday which I have yet to start, but apart from that, it is going to be a great week :D

That wouldn't be the restoration one would it? Because if it is - *snap* - I still need to start mine too... :(

I'm doing a lot of volunteering over the week which is what I'm looking forward to. I learned a valuable lesson on St. Patrick's Day: never, ever, ever drink, ever again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Mossin wrote: »
    See attached pdf that was emailed around to all students by Ruan last week.

Was this emailed out to postgraduates as well? I checked my email and definitely didn't receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I am a non-limerck student..... does anyone thing me and my also non-limerick students will be able to get into RAG (Charity) week events such as the coronas or the UV party?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i dont see it being too hard to argue that the lodge is the problem and not the 3 pubs on campus

i just dont see it happening there are far too many variables for these 3 licences to be revoked after complaints from residents. also bearing in mind that the university has been there since 1972 and the stables has been there for more than 20 i dont think they are going anywhere also the im sure students out number other locals by quite a bit so who is the court obliged to listen to, we are residents aswell.

finally i dont agree with any of the anti social behaviour and think it needs to be seriously clamped down on BUT i dont think any of the 'rumours' he posted are likely to actually happen

The stables has lost its licence temporarally before and chances are they'd go after the lodge as well (they have before). Just because students may outnumber the other residents doesn't mean they'd win, a judge could easily side with the permanent residents (some of whom have lived in castletroy long before the university was opened)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

That wouldn't be the restoration one would it? Because if it is - *snap* - I still need to start mine too... :(

I'm doing a lot of volunteering over the week which is what I'm looking forward to. I learned a valuable lesson on St. Patrick's Day: never, ever, ever drink, ever again. :D

Yepp tis indeed :( Up now at 9, first time I've been awake this time since junior infants, gonna have it done for half 11 and back on the bus to limerick for 2 to get the proceedings going! Hate this essay I havent a clue what to write! Awh I'm so looking forward to this week, and if Paddy's day thought me anything it's: always, always drink again ;) (in moderation, of course :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Was this emailed out to postgraduates as well? I checked my email and definitely didn't receive it.
    It was emailed to the ITD controlled "All Students" list. We can only assume that that includes all students.

bazkennedy wrote: »
    The stables has lost its licence temporarally before and chances are they'd go after the lodge as well (they have before). Just because students may outnumber the other residents doesn't mean they'd win, a judge could easily side with the permanent residents (some of whom have lived in castletroy long before the university was opened)
    Also bear in mind that a number of important annual functions in the University's calendar also happen on campus this week by coincidence. If he so wished, the President, via PCC could close all 3 bars in a matter of days.

I don't think he would, but if a number of important visitors were to be disgusted at the behaviour the may see this week, he could. Given the warnings that have come from the University following last year's unmitigated disaster, I think he would take less time to think before deciding whether to take this action.

Again, very unlikely, but it's not really worth testing the theory.

I am a non-limerck student..... does anyone thing me and my also non-limerick students will be able to get into RAG (Charity) week events such as the coronas or the UV party?
    You will be able to attend Mauro Picotto tomorrow and the UV Party no problem, just buy tickets in ULSU beforehand. Other than that you will need to know one UL student who is a club member for every non UL student, who can sign one guest in each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Who is the MC in the stables CY?? Has Des Bishop back in the day . He was class for the week.

Had to put up with a few morons over the years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Pumpkinseed

I've got friends comin up for the Tues and Wednes nights, for Ruberbandits/Ray Foley and Coronas/Chapters there not U.L students.

So from what I gather I have to get a U.L student who is a club memeber(is that the red sticker you pay 2 euro for) to sign them in? is that before you go into the gig with the bouncer?

Also, it says they start at 7? is that "7" (aka 10 or 11 when they start) or 7 sharp?

any1 know if wednesday night is sold out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Gardaí patrolling off-campus estates already.
    Its good to see that, but it kinda ruins the mood of the week at the same time.

Hopefully there'll be no need for them this week [or any other for that matter!]

they're going to catch a load of people with that unmarked white Renault Kangoo van

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Well lads how was the first night? What night do ye think I should go out, I want to meet some open-minded UL girls :D

Would like to see Mauro Picotto, he has few good tunes like Lizard but hard to justify €12 for a Monday night!

Advertisement