Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomas20

Do you need tickets or can you just pay before the Rubberbandits tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Will be arriving into Lim at 11.30 tomorrow night... with no ticket to the UV rave (sold out =( ) Any one know of SOMEWHERE we could get in at that hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

You could try the lodge but it might be full by then. Anywhere else in the city centre should be buzzing though, Bakers, Costelloes or Molly shouldnt be full and should be fairly good considering the week thats in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Anybody have a spare UV ticket for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 eoghan-strange

Okay All,Just a message to let people know that I found a camera in the back of a taxi last night. If you think its yours, PM me with a description and if it matches I'll get it back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

so after all the talk before rag week what are the disaster stories about students causing mayhem that people have heard so far?

i havnt seen anything more serious than bins being kicked over or rubbish being put on cars but im sure some stuff happened

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

There wasn't really anything too major this year, as far as I am aware, and seeing as I was a part of the MnM's initiative I'd say I'm fairly aware. A few troublesome house parties here and there, one or two people on roofs, fireworks, an assault report (whether or not it happened is another thing all together), a broken window or two, other than that just the usual stagger home after a night out.

It's been a quiet Charity week but I'm not sure if it's for the right reasons - we'll find out once the figures raised are released I suppose. The weather kept people indoors too. Overall I'm pleased with how things went but I have a sneaking suspicion some of the more seasoned students may have felt a lack of atmosphere this year, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

The rain kept people inside alright :p but there was a buzz indeed. I enjoyed it more than last year. If people were drinking, they certainly kept it to the Stables and Javas... or to thmselves away from me ahaha. I did see one girl struggling to carry a big bottle of something by the library though :p

Great week overall. I was confused to see some ulsu posters branding it as rag week though.

there was a serious lack of atmosphere on campus alright which was a pity i dont know what the gigs were like as i wasnt there so they might hve made u for it

i went out to mollys on wednesday as my one night out and had great craic

good to hear nothing serious happened, pity it was so dumbed down though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PeakOutput wrote: »
    pity it was so dumbed down though
    What was dumbed down - the events or the civic responsibility thing? Or summat else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

I taught there was a lack of atmosphere as well. Maybe its just that I'm gettin old or maybe its the recession. Granted I just went out the Thursday night, it was still a good night but didn't feel like RAG/Charity week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's cos we're all on coop and couldn't make it down.

Obviously the atmosphere will suffer :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I think the day time was slightly quieter but the atmosphere IMO wasn't diminished. Due to an unrelated trip to the regional on Tuesday I was on the dry for most of the week but for me this has been the best charity/rag week so far

sceptre wrote: »
    What was dumbed down - the events or the civic responsibility thing? Or summat else?

the atmosphere during the day i dont know why but walking threw the courtyard just didnt feel like it did the last two years

i would have said it was cause i wasnt really taking part this year but most of my friends said it to me aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

As my first year of rag week experience I thought it was brilliant! I made the most of it, especially cos I will be on co-op next year, suprised myself that I could keep going sunday afternoon till thurs night! Best college week so far, and I'm hoping a lot of money was actually raised! Thought the coronas were brilliant too :D I will be trying my best to get a few days off work next year for the journey down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

It was my first rag week in Limerick, and I agree with what people are saying about the lack of atmosphere. I was hoping it'd be more like the Galway rag week, which had some sort of weird communal atmosphere around town and campus which made it incredible. Having said that, it was pretty fun and a bit of sun probably would have improved things a lot.

to all the people complaining about the lack of atmosphere- how would you improve things??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

One UL lad got sick on my jacket in Trinity Rooms Thursday night. Some people just can't handle Rag week :mad:

bazkennedy wrote: »
    to all the people complaining about the lack of atmosphere- how would you improve things??

stop trying to fix something that aint broke, it was fine the way it was

i am very interested to see how much was raised this year and how it compares to the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

stop trying to fix something that aint broke, it was fine the way it was

I completely agree. Having bricks thrown through windows, cars overturned, students completely out of control and barely any money raised for charity was perfect. That's way it should be.

That was sarcasm, in case anyone missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

:rolleyes: Subtle :p

ergonomics wrote: »
    I completely agree. Having bricks thrown through windows, cars overturned, students completely out of control and barely any money raised for charity was perfect. That's way it should be.

That was sarcasm, in case anyone missed it.

punish the minority that does it, punish them ****ing hard

one rag week were there were expulsions and prosecutions would stop all that crap in one week

give us back our old rag week, let us drink out in the sun in public on campus, warn people in advance there will be a zero tolerance approach on campus by college and off campus by gardai

list the rules out clearly on every publication

when someone steps out of line up in front of the disciplinary commitee immedietely and either a suspension or expulsion, publicise and watch the crap stop

as far as off campus, have the ents(or whoever it was from the su who was going around elm park telling people to stop drinking in public cause the gardai were around) actually work with the gardai and have their jobs be to call the gardai when anti social behaviour takes place off campus and encourage the gardai to clamp down hard, nights in prison heavy heavy fines and again watch the crap stop

all without ruining the fun of the 95%

im pretty sick of this affect everyone over the actions of a few policy. im pretty sure the people who threw my rubbish bins everywhere would have done it regardless of weather it was rag week or charity week. what might have stopped them is an actual genuine belief of reprocussions

ask any economist, people react to incentives, there are no incentives for these people to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

One thing that royally p*ssed me off was the security in Plassey. Like I know it's illegal to drink outdoors blah blah blah but on wednesday when the sun was actually fab and there's a small group of us sitting outside enjoying the sun and they just would not allow it! Cooked up in a kitchen all week with the windows closed just to drink! And like once the windows were opened they'd call and say we can hear ye talk from outside! Are ye serious like!? Are we suppose to be studying in silence like! Was such a buzz kill! And then going to the shop and having to show ID and talk myself back in literally 2 mins after they seen me leave!!:mad:
    The buzz was good enough, like it was electric in the courtyard during the coronas I thought, during the day most people were just indoors like!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

After working as an MnM for the week, i must say I enjoyed it thoroughly! I was based in Elm Park for the week, and have to admit that we saw way less trouble than we anticipated. Most students were very appreciative of us warning them about the public drinking laws, even though a small minority seemed to be of the opinion that they would be able to outrun the Gardaí! Apart from Monday night, the rest of the week was pretty much trouble free..... And even then there was no big trouble, just a guy in a tree, a streaker, and two guys who "fell up" onto a roof.

I would have to say that i felt the gardaí were a small bit lax on the fines. Many a person told us of the them being let off with public drinking the night before when we would try to warn them.

Robo_Mike wrote: »
    I would have to say that i felt the gardaí were a small bit lax on the fines.

in fairness its not the drinking in public thats the problem and im sure the gardai know this better than anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

in fairness its not the drinking in public thats the problem and im sure the gardai know this better than anyone

But what it does lead to is a lot of littering... That was one thing we made sure of was to try and keep littering to a minimum when we were working by asking people to put their bottles and cans in the bins!

PeakOutput, can you please tell me what was changed this year that ruined your rag week or others because you seem really p***ed off about it.

The fact is that local residents don't see it as being 5% causing trouble, they see one student and assume that all students are like that. If steps weren't taken to deal with those 5% then everyone would have suffered.

As for just punishing those who cause trouble, is it better to try and work with students to try and prevent trouble than wait till someone acts like a bollox and then punish them. I'm not saying cancel the fun, i'm just saying i'd rather have a fun week with no arrests than a crazy week with 48 arrests

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I arrived down to Limerick on the Thursday and went to the stables that night, and I will have to agree that there was no atmosphere around the place at all.

Granted, I was with my mates who were doing masters and a few others for our own mini reunion, so we weren't partaking in many of the actual rag charity week events. However, we found ourselves constantly making comments that began with "back in our day", etc due to what seemed like any other week around castletroy.

I'm not a student any more so don't have any input on things, so all I will say is that rag charity week ain't what it used to be

bazkennedy wrote: »
    PeakOutput, can you please tell me what was changed this year that ruined your rag week or others because you seem really p***ed off about it.

The fact is that local residents don't see it as being 5% causing trouble, they see one student and assume that all students are like that. If steps weren't taken to deal with those 5% then everyone would have suffered.

well first of all im not that pised off about it, i knew this rag week would be a quiet one for me and i had one really good night out on wednesday which suited me fine. so from a personal point of view it dosnt bother me all that much

but i did say months ago that rebranding it was pointless and removing the drink and party atmosphere would reduce participation and therefore reduce the amount raised for charity. now i havnt seen how much was raised but it appears i might have been right but ill wait and see what the figures raised were

the fact is im a local resident aswell(in that i live here the majority of my time) and its pretty obvious that it is only a minority that causes trouble every year. it looks like everyone suffered anyway because anyone i have talked to said that it wasnt as good as other years. if this was the first charity/rag week ever im sure it would be regarded as a great success but it wasnt there have been numerous amazing rag weeks in ul previous and in other colleges so it is always going to get compared against them.

fair enough the su were trying something different and thats admirable
    As for just punishing those who cause trouble, is it better to try and work with students to try and prevent trouble than wait till someone acts like a bollox and then punish them. I'm not saying cancel the fun, i'm just saying i'd rather have a fun week with no arrests than a crazy week with 48 arrests

the college (hell the country) has been trying to work with the students for years constantly giving everyone the benefit of the doubt running alcohol awareness week and all the other take responsibility campaigns,it has worked to an extent but you are never going to complete get rid of the tools who cant have fun without kicking in a window or think its cool to flip a car. i think we have gotten to the stage were we have reached everyone we can with these campaigns and its time to reward them for acting more responsibly rather then punish them further for the continued actions of a few. thats why i say reprocussions for acting out of order need to be seriously ramped up

one year were people get either expelled / suspended / arrested and heavily fined is all it would take imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

To be fair, we didn't set out to cancel the fun, and we didn't do anything differently in that respect. We set out to cancel the anti-social element of bottles getting shattered all over the shop and bins being upturned on cars.

We didn't get 100% on that, but we significantly reduced the incidence by having people out there just giving people the slight prod they need to cop on.

In fairness, the majority are fine, but about half of students have an inane ability to become absolute w4nkers with excessive drink on board, we went out to ensure they had an opportunity to do a double take and reconsider doing some random ****e they'd never do sober.

There was an absolute shower of complete and utter w4nkers roaming through College Court at 4:30 on Thursday morning and I have to call the Gardaí up on just passing them and leaving them off when it was clear they were causing a nuisance in terms of noise, and judging by my run through on the way home 15 mins later, they had great craic turning over every bin on their way out.

In fairness it probably wasn't UL students; considering the main reason for people to be wandering at that time of the morning is that they have nowhere to go.

We did our utmost to ensure people had a good week. We have exceeded last year's charity contributions from all of last years sources, we even managed a donation from the University for the first time ever. Students, however, seem not to have taken too much notice as the bucket money isn't up that much and I'm yet to see a full breakdown as we're not fully counted. At that, we're not finished collecting yet anyway as the 5km run on campus had to be postponed twice due to health and safety concerns.

The Golf Classic organised last year has not yet been organised, but we are exploring running it later on in the semester. Regardless, our aim of increasing the money in has worked.

Advertisement