Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ninty9er wrote: »
    To be fair, we didn't set out to cancel the fun, and we didn't do anything differently in that respect. We set out to cancel the anti-social element of bottles getting shattered all over the shop and bins being upturned on cars.

We didn't get 100% on that, but we significantly reduced the incidence by having people out there just giving people the slight prod they need to cop on.

In fairness, the majority are fine, but about half of students have an inane ability to become absolute w4nkers with excessive drink on board, we went out to ensure they had an opportunity to do a double take and reconsider doing some random ****e they'd never do sober.

There was an absolute shower of complete and utter w4nkers roaming through College Court at 4:30 on Thursday morning and I have to call the Gardaí up on just passing them and leaving them off when it was clear they were causing a nuisance in terms of noise, and judging by my run through on the way home 15 mins later, they had great craic turning over every bin on their way out.

In fairness it probably wasn't UL students; considering the main reason for people to be wandering at that time of the morning is that they have nowhere to go.

We did our utmost to ensure people had a good week. We have exceeded last year's charity contributions from all of last years sources, we even managed a donation from the University for the first time ever. Students, however, seem not to have taken too much notice as the bucket money isn't up that much and I'm yet to see a full breakdown as we're not fully counted. At that, we're not finished collecting yet anyway as the 5km run on campus had to be postponed twice due to health and safety concerns.

The Golf Classic organised last year has not yet been organised, but we are exploring running it later on in the semester. Regardless, our aim of increasing the money in has worked.

i actually think you did a fine job considering your goals and its great to hear the money raised is up

i just think the answer is somewhere in the middle of what happened this year and what has happened the last two years. i feel a little bad for the first years as i dont think they would have had as good a rag week as i had in first year but then i havnt been talking to them so i could be way off the mark

i dont want to appear like im attacking anyone in the su personally i know they do what they think is best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm a first year and IMO there was more craic around campus doing Campaign/Election Week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

I agree with PeakOutput to a certain degree, there was defiantly less "buzz" around campus as previous years but I think its for a few reasons. Firstly the re-branding and alcohol awareness campaign did a fantastic job imo, which I am surprised at but fair play to the sabats on that one. As well as that this is the first RAG/Charity week I have seen so many people who were going out for 1 or 2 nights instead of doing something for the entire week, and then those I did meet who had planned to go mental all week were out of money by Monday so that was their plan gone.
    I liked this RAG week it was probably one of the quietest but I liked the feeling around castletroy for the week, it wasn't nearly as bad as last year. Although we could go for a mad week like Galways but as we know that brings in much more serious issues so I hope that this Charity week is the type we have next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

entropic wrote: »
    I agree with PeakOutput to a certain degree, there was defiantly less "buzz" around campus as previous years but I think its for a few reasons. Firstly the re-branding and alcohol awareness campaign did a fantastic job imo, which I am surprised at but fair play to the sabats on that one. As well as that this is the first RAG/Charity week I have seen so many people who were going out for 1 or 2 nights instead of doing something for the entire week, and then those I did meet who had planned to go mental all week were out of money by Monday so that was their plan gone.
    I liked this RAG week it was probably one of the quietest but I liked the feeling around castletroy for the week, it wasn't nearly as bad as last year. Although we could go for a mad week like Galways but as we know that brings in much more serious issues so I hope that this Charity week is the type we have next year.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

In terms of 'students' causing trouble, this year we didn't see too much - as I said in my previous post, which is perfect. I don't think the 'lack' of atmosphere had anything to do with the approach taken by the SU in changing the name to Charity week and setting up the MnM's. Not that the week was a complete flop at all, I'm told compared to UCC's week we're doing quite well, but there was definately something missing - as commented on by a few people.

It could just have been the mix of rain and recession but having attended a few of the daytime events I've noticed its a bit of a scramble to get people involved on the spur of the moment. Also I think it's a pity there isn't music on all the time in the courtyard - I know it would be difficult to get big acts on the stage all day but even if the larger stage was used more during the day it would be good. For example, the sausage eating competition in Java's was crowded and difficult to watch - would it not have been better staged?

This may seem like something silly but I think its a valid point. The zorb, which was a huge success I'm told, was in an isolated place in relation to the rest of the goings on. I know, practically, down by the pitches was the only place for it but it would have been great if it wasn't the only thing going on down there so that it didn't seem so isolated from the rest of the goings on. It was like you had to leave the fesitivities to get to it.

I really do believe Charity week has far more potential, not that it was terrible this year - it wasn't, but we can't settle! Must always strive for better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

In terms of 'students' causing trouble, this year we didn't see too much - as I said in my previous post, which is perfect. I don't think the 'lack' of atmosphere had anything to do with the approach taken by the SU in changing the name to Charity week and setting up the MnM's. Not that the week was a complete flop at all, I'm told compared to UCC's week we're doing quite well, but there was definately something missing - as commented on by a few people.

It could just have been the mix of rain and recession but having attended a few of the daytime events I've noticed its a bit of a scramble to get people involved on the spur of the moment. Also I think it's a pity there isn't music on all the time in the courtyard - I know it would be difficult to get big acts on the stage all day but even if the larger stage was used more during the day it would be good. For example, the sausage eating competition in Java's was crowded and difficult to watch - would it not have been better staged?

This may seem like something silly but I think its a valid point. The zorb, which was a huge success I'm told, was in an isolated place in relation to the rest of the goings on. I know, practically, down by the pitches was the only place for it but it would have been great if it wasn't the only thing going on down there so that it didn't seem so isolated from the rest of the goings on. It was like you had to leave the fesitivities to get to it.

I really do believe Charity week has far more potential, not that it was terrible this year - it wasn't, but we can't settle! Must always strive for better!
    This!^

This right here!^^^

There was always going to be less of a buzz with the weather and the recession and I believe it showed its face last week. Personally, I enjoyed the atmosphere. It was buzzing, but not in a right-in-your-face manner. The activities were varied and lots of fun from what I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tweety_bird

IMO i think there was definately a lot less atmosphere than my previous 2 yrs. The recession had hit BIGTIME, with alot of people tending to go out a night or two rather than all week.

Great craic was had by all I must say, alot more mellow than previous years and for the better. No more nonsense of major damage to houses in the area and students being arrested. The SU really need a pat on the back for keeping to their word for rebranding RAG week and making sure that everyone had a fun filled week.

Oh and thank you to whoever decided to shake up the line up of bands and DJs this year....not another year of the blizzards!! Definately had something for everyone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

How much was ACTUALLY raised this year?

Not a lot, I heard.

:(

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    How much was ACTUALLY raised this year?

Not a lot, I heard.

:(

more than the last two years apparently

I could be completely wrong here, but I heard the week in general (courtyard activities etc stuff like that) only raised 10k which is only the same as LIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I could be completely wrong here, but I heard the week in general (courtyard activities etc stuff like that) only raised 10k which is only the same as LIT
    And is that not a lot considering the economic climate we are in?

With over 12000 students? €2 a head is small and huge at the same time. Thats €10000<€1pp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

12,000 students is a tad high given co-op students, erasmus and nursing/teaching placement and that's before you get into students who don't have any interest in rag week

i assume the tally has been made of the funds raised how much was it and how does it compare to the last two years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

We won't be given a total until all the Charity Week events have been done. As Derek said there is still the 5K Run and the Golf tournament. But nit picking over how much money is raised is quite ridiculous, even if we only raised €100 for the week the charities are still going to be very grateful for the help that they desperately need with the current drop in charity donations across the board.

It has been mentioned that they SU even got the University to donate money which I find to be unbelievable. Last year they were seriously considering cancelling the week but the sabat team did a fantastic job of showing them how the charity aspect would be at the forefront.

entropic wrote: »
    We won't be given a total until all the Charity Week events have been done. As Derek said there is still the 5K Run and the Golf tournament. But nit picking over how much money is raised is quite ridiculous, even if we only raised €100 for the week the charities are still going to be very grateful for the help that they desperately need with the current drop in charity donations across the board.

It has been mentioned that they SU even got the University to donate money which I find to be unbelievable. Last year they were seriously considering cancelling the week but the sabat team did a fantastic job of showing them how the charity aspect would be at the forefront.

im not nit picking i just want to know and dont understand why they arent releasing a figure but are happy to wait until sometime near the end of the semester for a golf game to be run

thats not charity week charity week is over how much was organised during charity week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The figure is never complete until about 2-3 weeks afterwards. Monies raised have never been based on events held only during one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 harrington94

anyone know when UL's rag week is this year ???

Advertisement