Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARPCON Beers?

Options
  • 26-01-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Following a little Facebook chat an idea has been formed!

A couple of Dublin-based boardsies (and I'm sure more from other places) are landing in Cork this weekend for WARPCON 2010.

We propose a Cork Beers to celebrate this and meet some of the blow-ins. Sunday night, post WARPCON, pre people returning home?

How does that sound?

Unfortunately I can't do Sat due to family plans but if it's a more popular date go ahead with it. Would be great if Sunday worked for people.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'll be there :)

Can some native maybe pick a location etc?

Edit:
    Please have this on the Sunday, it's already been a long week in work and I'll only be fit for the bed by the time I get to Cork on Friday evening and the Saturday'll be busy with the Con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sunday would be preferable for me or the Friday at a pinch, busy the Saturday.
    Also were? I tend not to stray far from UCC when in Cork! and after a mad weekend of gaming a nice sit down and a relaxing pint and a good natter would be awesome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hello! I'll go! Probably anyway :).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'll be around for the con. May pop along to this, otherwise will see ye at the con. Poke Thaed or Kharn if you don't know me to see. ;)

Friday night is a better idea than Sunday as a lot of the Galwegians etc need to leave early enough on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

WarpCon what is it now??? 18/19? I remember helping to organise WarpCon 2 - 6...god that was a long time ago. Wonder if any of the old timers still go?

Cissie Youngs is handy for the college area and a decent enough pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I can't make it to warpcon as I have to spin home to Killarney for the weekend, but what time were you planning on having the beers? I will be back in cork about 8pm sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Oh looks interesting. Some big names coming to beers :p

Might pop in and say hello

Warpcon XX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Kharn wrote: »
    I'll be there :)

Can some native maybe pick a location etc?
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Also were? I tend not to stray far from UCC when in Cork! and after a mad weekend of gaming a nice sit down and a relaxing pint and a good natter would be awesome.

Yeah sticking to the general UCC area is a good plan. Maybe somewhere along Western Road? Maybe the new name Thirsty Scholar or could even stick to the Old Bar on campus but we would get kicked outta there very early.

My vote if people were happy to go closer to town would be somewhere like Tom Barrys or best of all a place called The Abbot Ale House which is perfect for the kinda boardsies attending :)

I'll be coming back up from Kerry on Sunday evening so time wise I'm not sure yet, but ye can start without me if ye like lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

The Franciscan well isn't too far away from UCC and might be a nice option for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Id definitely advise the franciscan well for the afternoon/early evening.
    Need to find somewhere then that has an extension for the Sunday night as normal closing hour is 11pm!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Yeah the Franciscan is a good plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bloodclaw

Ludo wrote: »
    WarpCon what is it now??? 18/19? I remember helping to organise WarpCon 2 - 6...god that was a long time ago. Wonder if any of the old timers still go?

It's up to 20 now. I'm similar to yourself in remembering going to early warpcons and since I moved back to cork I've been stuck in the wargaming stuff

Wargaming is pretty big at warpcon so much so it's in it's own building.
    http://www.warpcon.com/?page_id=79 the range of games seems to keep growing too.

http://www.franciscanwellbrewery.com/
    Weisse beer and dunkle weisse beer, yum. Do they do food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Wargaming is pretty big at warpcon so much so it's in it's own building.
    http://www.warpcon.com/?page_id=79 the range of games seems to keep growing too.

http://www.franciscanwellbrewery.com/
    Weisse beer and dunkle weisse beer, yum. Do they do food?

They do crisps....... Sure that's all you'd want anyway :p

Im a sucker for that witch lager they have in there. Lovely stuff.

The Franciscan is a tad far from UCC for me. I've a lot of people to catch up with at the con etc.

How far of a staggering distance is it from the Western Road , cos I haven't a notion.

From UCC? 10-15 minutes walk depending on the group. Can be done faster but realistic group speeds are a fair bit longer given people would have drink in them etc. It's almost twice as far as than the normal Club Warpcon venue.

I'm not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I just popped in here to say something about Warpcon being on. Never knew there were so many boardsies who are well familiar with it, outside Nesf.

I'd also recommend Cissie Youngs for this. Really close to college, literally a five minute walk, and a great pub, with a great smoking area, and a great pint.

I might be along as well if I have any money left from the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Cissie's is a small sports bar, Franciscan is a large non-sports bar. Cissie's will be packed enough on the weekend. I'd say you're better off in UCC old bar than Cissie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Kold2 wrote: »
    Cissie's is a small sports bar, Franciscan is a large non-sports bar. Cissie's will be packed enough on the weekend. I'd say you're better off in UCC old bar than Cissie's.

I think the Franciscan would be better, but only if it was a lot closer. It's about fifteen minutes from UCC as opposed to the 5 Cissie's is. Plus Warps have been in Cissie's loads of times. We went there on our Freshers night with trays of sandwiches and thirty to people and they were happy to have us, even though it was a match night. One of the barmen there occasionally asks how my boardgaming is going.

All that being said, I'd be happy to go anywhere that's not the Old Bar, as they'll be wanting to close early on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

440Hz wrote: »
    Maybe somewhere along Western Road? Maybe the new name Thirsty Scholar
    The Thirsty Scholar/Art McBrides is closed since the November floods. I would recommend Costigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

So what is happening tonight? - Where will the beers be @.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, I'm not there because nothing was actually confirmed here!

Faith wrote: »
    Well, I'm not there because nothing was actually confirmed here!

=(

I was looking forward to a beers, just after arriving up in Cork too. Any word on where people headed?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well Thead and I are sitting here in the Well, Sarky said he might be down later. We've been off-line all weekend so haven't been able to check in. Bit disappointing that the locals don't seem to be able to organise a piss-up in this micro brewery :-P
    We'll be here for a while (sitting at the front in the corner) if anyone's around.

Kharn wrote: »
    Well Thead and I are sitting here in the Well, Sarky said he might be down later. We've been off-line all weekend so haven't been able to check in. Bit disappointing that the locals don't seem to be able to organise a piss-up in this micro brewery :-P
    We'll be here for a while (sitting at the front in the corner) if anyone's around.

See ye in 10 min

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ah ****e. If I had seen this earlier I'd have been down, sorry guys. Next time?

Advertisement