Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 OS install

Options
  • 26-01-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello i am just after downloading a legal version of 7 Professional onto my laptop, i know the laptop is compatable for the 64 bit version of 7, but im not sure how to activate the install of the OS, i have written it to a DVD but im not sure what to do next, i have an acer laptop and i know i have to boot up the cd but i dont know how.

Any help i would really appreciate it! thanks!

P.S i downloaded 7 from WIT any WIT students out there??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

You need to make sure the laptop is set to boot first from the DVD using the bios settings.
    Also you might want to check your download to see if there is any text file containing the activation key?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

Did you download an ISO? In which case you need to burn it to the DVD using an ISO burning tool - this will create a bootable DVD

Enter your BIOS on startup and ensure the DVD is in the boot sequence, although you should be able to start the install once you have booted into your current OS

When you start the install you will be prompted for the product key, so have it handy

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ShaneAK47

MoodeRator wrote: »
    You need to make sure the laptop is set to boot first from the DVD using the bios settings.
    Also you might want to check your download to see if there is any text file containing the activation key?

cheers dude! i was in the setup menu and in the boot menu it woudnt let me boot from the optical drive!

also will i lose all my driver hardware for my sound card, touchpad, and other important hard ware when i install the new OS??

ok i think ihave found the problem! im currently running a 32 bit version of vista but i have a 64 bit version of 7 im running AMD Turion x2 dual core mobile RM-74
    2.20GHz with 4 gb of RAM i taught it would be possibel to run 64 bit 7 but im not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Dont see that it would be a problem to 64bit? I opted to load 32bit myself as my wireless router NEVER works on 64 :(

• Advertisement

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Dont see that it would be a problem to 64bit? I opted to load 32bit myself as my wireless router NEVER works on 64 :(

don't talk to me about routers! i have a Zxyxel and its ****! keeps turning its self off and going crazy i need to invest in a new one plus i play a lot of COD2 so i need a descent router thats not going to **** its self every time i start playing cod2!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well the only reason to go for 64x if u have more than 3GB Ram on ur laptop...otherwise just stick with 32x

Advertisement