Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative text notes?

Options
  • 26-01-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi can anyone help me! Our teacher won't give us any study notes on our comparitive texts as she says our answers must be our own "personal interaction with the texts!!!!!!" Our texts are Dancing at Lughnasa, King Lear and Billy Elliot. I haven't been able to find any revision books that cover these texts as comparitives. I haven't a clue! Could anybody email me notes please?????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

thats ricidulous. Im doing all three texts but King lear is my single text. Ill have a look tomorrow and see if i have any lying around my room, im off school sick for a week so not sure if there in my locker, if i have any ill email them to u tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wekiva

Thanks so much for offering to help, i'm really desperate.
    Any notes at all would be welcome!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

wekiva wrote: »
    Our teacher won't give us any study notes on our comparitive texts as she says our answers must be our own "personal interaction with the texts!!!!!!"

You have no notes whatsoever?! I can understand encouraging students to think for themselves, but has she not even explained cultural context or literary genre to you? You need to divide these modes into manageable chunks and then make out a set of notes.

For cultural context, you could use the headings of setting, gender roles, conflict/violence, role of money, religion/beliefs and family. E.g. the women in D@L play stereotypical domestic roles, Regan and Goneril are the exact opposite being 'unfeminine' in their evil and cruelty, while the women in Billy Eliot are....(haven't seen it in a while). Family is the most important unit in D@L, often creating conflict in the characters, it means nothing to Regan and Goneril and in Billy Eliot, his family is important but they inhibit his ambitions.....

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wekiva

Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement