Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Year Christmas Exams

Options
  • 26-01-2010 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭

- hi there

just rec'd report for Christmas 2nd year exams and was shocked to see how bad it was. my son is 13 and always been an average student but in three subjects he rec'd E/F rates. couldn't believe it but worst of all is that he doesnt seem to grasp that he must put in extra work. we know he is capable of better and teachers tell us the same. I know he is disappointed himself etc but while we don't want to put too much pressure on etc etc we have asked that he do an extra hour in the evening, concentrating on these subject etc but as he stays in after school for study he feels that hes doing enough

any advice out there ??

just dont want him to fall behind any futher and would like him to catch up at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Are grinds an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bean na gaeilge

The study in the evening is fine as long as he is using his time wisely ...homework is very important. The learning work is just as important as the written - once a student has all the written work done they seem to think they are safe. This seems to be the biggest mistake students make. If you explained this to your son maybe it would help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Either he's dossing in after school study or he doesn't know how to learn. At second year level he really should get most stuff done in after school study - or at least enough to pass!

I suggest you help him figure out what way he learns best (by writing, hearing, saying, reading, flow charts etc) and show him how to apply that to his different subjects. http://www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=questionnaire is a reasonably good quiz online. Then take him out of study for 2 weeks and make him come straight home, sit down with him for however long study is and go through the work with him, if for nothing else other than to show him how to go about getting things done, focusing for that long and how to actually learn stuff. He might not like it but hey, you have a few fail grades to back you up in your case.

Tbh I found that most schools fail miserably at teaching students how to learn and how to study and how to revise. If you don't have the time to put into him during the week, why not look into getting some sort of learning instruction, maybe from a teacher or educational psychologist to make sure he does actually know how to go about it.

Other than that, if there is a particular trend to what he's failing (all number type subjects, or all word-ey type subjects - languages and history etc) it might not do any harm to have him tested for an SLD.

Advertisement