Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for general opinion on Graphic Design courses around Ireland

Options
  • 26-01-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi there, I'm eighteen years old, and only since Christmas I've decided to take the plunge into a Visual Communications/ Graphic Design course, of which I plan to get do a HDip after and go into Second level teaching, specializing in Graphic Design.
    I have a portfolio I was tipping away at and have almost complete and was wondering if anyone has any tips for what courses to look into.

LIT, NCAD AND IADT aside, I've heard very little else about other courses, such as WIT and CIT. I ask this so as to know where to put them in my CAO list. I saw a WIT student's piece got into an art student gallery in Limerick a couple' months ago, winning the national Graphic Design Piece, although I haven't particularly heard great things about the course itself.

Does anyone have an opinion or willing to share some experiences of the "lesser known" courses?

Particularly I'm hoping for any info on:
    WIT
    DIT
    GMIT
    Carlow IT
    CIT

Thanks a million to any takers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I don't know much about courses, but i'd give you one piece of advice.
    If you see any graduates work, you should judge the course on the poorer projects rather than the best, as that really shows the calibre of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ponderaabel

WIT course is very interesting...in first year starting off with very general stuff...more showing what is out there, different techniques etc...from second year onwards you can start choosing areas what you are more interested in...and final year is completelly up to yourself...there are other classes held, however for end of year show you can do anything you wish! I think it is a great oppurtunity to show your skills, what you are most interested in etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭- bo -

loocas, Athlone IT is another one to look into :) I'm in 2nd year of it and love it

http://designatait.blogspot.com/

Theres a few bits and bobs from the blog that one of the lecturers keeps, any questions gimme a shout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 loocas

Thanks very much for the info all, loved the blog link. :D

Restricted CAO filled out now, so it's just a matter of time I guess, wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Most of the above courses are undergraduate I presume?

Can anybody suggest any shorter term courses (6 months - 1 year). I've almost done 4 years in LSAD (Sculpture/Combined Media) and I can't exactly afford to do Graphic Design here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement