Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty points from Italy on Irish license

• 26-01-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I got a speeding ticket in Italy last summer. I paid my fine, but the police want me to send them a copy of my license so they can put 5 points on it.
    Is this possible? I think there's some sort of agreement between Ireland and UK, but is this valid for all EU countries with this system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

fjon wrote: »
    I got a speeding ticket in Italy last summer. I paid my fine, but the police want me to send them a copy of my license so they can put 5 points on it.
    Is this possible? I think there's some sort of agreement between Ireland and UK, but is this valid for all EU countries with this system?

I wouldn't send it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

No agreement. Ignore it fine is paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If they didn't take your licence details at the scene ...tough luck.
    Just don't go to Italy for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TootsMcToot

I'd ignore it too.. there is an agreement with Ireland and the UK, but as far as i know, its not in force yet.. you could ring (anonymously) the RSA to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

dude ignore, you'll be 80 yrs old by the time both sides figure out what's going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

They should have given ya the points there and then, there loss :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd ignore it too.. there is an agreement with Ireland and the UK, but as far as i know, its not in force yet.. you could ring (anonymously) the RSA to find out!

The agreement (link) only applies to driving bans, as in if a UK driver receives a driving ban in Ireland they will also be banned at home, and vice versa.

The agreement does not include penalty points whatsoever, even if you accumulate enough for a ban. For example, an Irish driver could accumulate loads of points in UK but since they are not applicable his Irish licence will remain untouched.

There are no agreements between Ireland and any other country so the OP's Irish licence is safe. Actually I believe the Ireland-UK one is unique in Europe.
    What the Italian police want to do is register the penalty points against any possible future Italian licence in the event you exchange your Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks for all the replies!
    I think I'm safe then. I go to Italy quite often, and more often than not am driving over there so don't want any nasty surprises.
    By the way, I was caught by a camera, and paid my fine a few months after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭howsshenow

Just wondering how fjon got on since not sending his licence details to the Italian authorities.. Did you receive another fine?

I just received a similar fine for "driving through a red light" (last car through a green / amber light)

I sent the money for the fine €140 but don't see the point in sending on my driving licence details even though they are threatening another fine if I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What's the point in not sending it and risking another fine?

Points applied are on Italian system, and if you're not driving there too often, you're very unlikely to exceed the limit and be banned in Italy.

Those points are irrelevant you your penalty points you collect in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

They can set up "mirrored" points and once you hit the limit you will be banned there.

Risk could be they could in theory put out a warrant for your arrest due to not showing up in court.

Absolute worst case you could be passing through and you could be flagged for arrest. The risk is low, but it's still a risk. What is the big downside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭howsshenow

Thanks for your helpful replies and for confirming that they are Italian penalty points. I think I will send on the licence details seeing as they seem to be good at sending out fines albeit 6 months after the event.

It's good to alert others of this and in general there is little to fear except congestion fines if you are driving in the likes of central Florence. Thought my red light camera was in a tiny Village in the foothills of the Alps.

I like your username Zg3409.. I had a Starlet Zg3553.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you send them your licence details and trust either the Italian Police or the post with most of your identity, then you're mental.

There are no consequences, do not send it.

Advertisement