Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle route for charity -wicklow

Options
  • 26-01-2010 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

fellow bikers.. i was wondering if you could help I host a fundraiser for the Mama Amelia Project every summer- this is a two day event involving a cycle and hike- I am planning the route for the cycle for Wicklow but not really sure about it as i am more familiar with routes in the south of ireland where i am from, Cork. I wonder if you could advise me on the lay of the land, mileage and do-ability for a mixed group.
    My planned route would be starting Rathdrum onto Glendalough (12 km) then thru the Wicklow Gap- think I would like to take the small road by Blessington lake through a place called Ballyknockon and Lackan is this possible (or do I need to take the main rd through Blessington??)- then following around by Sally Gap back towards Glendalough (could take Roundwood or small back road again) and onto Rathdrum- I would really appreciate any advice you could give??????????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

that sounds like a great route on quiet roads, the route to laragh (glendalough) is a quiet and pleasant route to glendalough, the wicklow gap for untrained cyclists would be relatively tough going for novices, though do able and worth it for view when descending the otherside. the road via lacken is also a good choice again on flat to lightly undulating quiet roads. then back into the mountains for sally gap on quiet road, then back to Roundwood via luggala VERY nice scenery up there should be a nice spin or pergatory! depending on levels involved

someone else will probably come in with the distance but if not I will post it up too ;)
    all in all a very nice ride in prospect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 aoifmcg

thanks so much that is really helpful- it will be mixed ability no matter how much i encourage people to train i notice the dusting of cobwebs off bikes and cursing my optimism but i thing good scenary does help to distract form pain,- do you think its best to hit wicklow gap first and onto sally gap or the other way (which is easier??) think i will have to include roundwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

fellow bikers.. i was wondering if you could help I host a fundraiser for the Mama Amelia Project every summer- this is a two day event involving a cycle and hike- I am planning the route for the cycle for Wicklow but not really sure about it as i am more familiar with routes in the south of ireland where i am from, Cork. I wonder if you could advise me on the lay of the land, mileage and do-ability for a mixed group.
    My planned route would be starting Rathdrum onto Glendalough (12 km) then thru the Wicklow Gap- think I would like to take the small road by Blessington lake through a place called Ballyknockon and Lackan is this possible (or do I need to take the main rd through Blessington??)- then following around by Sally Gap back towards Glendalough (could take Roundwood or small back road again) and onto Rathdrum- I would really appreciate any advice you could give??????????????

If you come over the Wicklow Gap, from Rathdrum direction : you can exit that area by cycling through Hollywood.
    In Hollywood, take the main road back toward Blessington but you don't have to ride all the way in to Blessington, on the main road, to get on to the route to Ballyknockan/Lacken.

You can take a righthand turn at Valleymount (heading back toward Blessington) - and this route will drop you down to Blessinton Bridge which will allow you to cycle across to Ballyknockan/Lacken area.

aoifmcg wrote: »
    do you think its best to hit wicklow gap first and onto sally gap or the other way (which is easier??) think i will have to include roundwood.

yeah Id say hit wicklow gap first BECAUSE its harder so their legs will be fresher, and Sally Gap next its much easier in the direction you initially thought of only the last 1km is VERY steep/hard. And then coming down to Roundwood to join the the Vartry lakes v quiet and down to Ashford possibly through devils glen and back up to rathdrum, that way its all on different roads and no overlap.

also for the route I was describing Rathdrum - Laragh - WG - Lackan - Sally gap - Roundwood is about 55 miles or 90km, after that depends where you want to go, b line for rathdrum or go through devils glen and drop down to sea level again at ashford and climb (gradual drag) up to glenealy and onto rathdrum to complete a nice long loop of about 120km or so, about 75miles in old money.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

hinault wrote: »
    If you come over the Wicklow Gap, from Rathdrum direction : you can exit that area by cycling through Hollywood.
    In Hollywood, take the main road back toward Blessington but you don't have to ride all the way in to Blessington, on the main road, to get on to the route to Ballyknockan/Lacken.

You can take a righthand turn at Valleymount (heading back toward Blessington) - and this route will drop you down to Blessinton Bridge which will allow you to cycle across to Ballyknockan/Lacken area.
    [/INDENT]

After the Wicklow Gap, there's also the right turn before Hollywood that takes you straight to Valleymount, avoiding the main road.

• Advertisement

bbosco wrote: »
    After the Wicklow Gap, there's also the right turn before Hollywood that takes you straight to Valleymount, avoiding the main road.

You're right there is a direct route from Hollywood to Valleymount : thanks I had forgotten this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Don't forget to post the final details here too. You should have no shortage of participants from here methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Nice route, if you get the weather some nice views, Lacken, Glenmacnass etc.

Heres a start...
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/rathdrum/698126453947326736

TomC

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

From what I can gather you are looking at something like this, just under 100km. Or Tom's similar route which avoids Lugalla- that is really worth it and not much more difficult... I don't like the road between Sally Gap and Laragh at all. There is a very nice small road that goes by Lough Dan avoiding Roundwood entirely.

Would be a beautiful cycle but honestly will be very tough. Apart from the climbs up Wicklow Gap, Sally Gap (I think that's harder) and Lugalla around the lakes and Lacken is very very undulating, it is all ups and downs with quite steep bits. The road by Lough Dan does have a bit of a steep climb on it too.

Really lovely cycling terrain, we do it every weekend, but very very tough for novices.

If you are up in Wicklow and want a guide around some of these roads we go out most Saturdays so could give you an idea.

*not quite, there are a few tweaks that could make it harder :)

blorg wrote: »
    From what I can gather you are looking at something like this, just under 100km. Or Tom's similar route which avoids Lugalla- that is really worth it and not much more difficult... I don't like the road between Sally Gap and Laragh at all. There is a very nice small road that goes by Lough Dan avoiding Roundwood entirely.

Would be a beautiful cycle but honestly will be very tough. Apart from the climbs up Wicklow Gap, Sally Gap (I think that's harder) and Lugalla around the lakes and Lacken is very very undulating, it is all ups and downs with quite steep bits. The road by Lough Dan does have a bit of a steep climb on it too.

Really lovely cycling terrain, we do it every weekend, but very very tough for novices.

If you are up in Wicklow and want a guide around some of these roads we go out most Saturdays so could give you an idea.

*not quite, there are a few tweaks that could make it harder :)

Agreed : for a charity event, the route outlined might be a bit too tough for those who are not experienced and who haven't developed enough stamina to cover such a long distance.

Wicklow Gap/Sally gap are tough in themselves but it would be folly to underestimate the route around Ballyknockan/Lacken.
    I use that specific route to tune up for W200 each year, as part of my training.
    And even with the years of mileage in my legs, I don't find that route "easy".

• Advertisement

Agreed the road into lacken and out to from SG and WG is definately a leg sapper and is full of stiff undulations.

@blorg - you really find the SG harder from the West than WG from the East :confused: yes its alot longer, but alot more gentler gradient except some steeper sections thrown in around the bridge sharp right going up, and the last Km or so, than the WG on profiles I have (recorded training rides)

yeah that road to lough dan* sounds a goer too, and that climb your picking out in it is rediculously steep 20-30% and had sandy gravel when I was on it last year, nice and scenic route though if very narrow.

me@ucd wrote: »
    @blorg - you really find the SG harder from the West than WG from the East :confused: yes its alot longer, but alot more gentler gradient except some steeper sections thrown in around the bridge sharp right going up, and the last Km or so, than the WG on profiles I have (recorded training rides)
    I find the Wicklow Gap quite easy these days, there is a gentle rise to start, only one short steep bit by the car park and then it is just a drag to the top. I'd generally find doing the route around by Lacken more challenging than the Wicklow Gap, it generally comes after it, might factor in. Admittedly I have not gone up the west side of SG for a while. But I have been doing these for a while, not so easy for beginners and I didn't find it easy the first time I went up it... and there is a lot stuck together in the suggested routes.

@blorg

actually now you say it. It must be that when I usually do it, its a balls out TT effort from bottom to top in 20min~ repeated 2-3 times, Like anything round here if you take it steady though its not hard, except the car park section as you said.

thanks so much again- i must admit i am getting kinda confused about what route i should take????:confused:- i do want soem challenge but again something doable i would appreicate any suggestions my only need is we will be based in Rathdrum (as climbing lug na cuila day 2)- i may take oyu up on that sat cycle in wicklow but need to re-find my cycling legs again as have had a very lazy winter so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Well, what sort of distance, or time in the saddle do you have in mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

aoifmcg wrote: »
    thanks so much again- i must admit i am getting kinda confused about what route i should take????:confused:- i do want soem challenge but again something doable i would appreicate any suggestions my only need is we will be based in Rathdrum (as climbing lug na cuila day 2)- i may take oyu up on that sat cycle in wicklow but need to re-find my cycling legs again as have had a very lazy winter so far...

If you are going from Rathdrum you could try this route which enables you to go through both the wicklow gap and the sally gap and get back to rathdrum in under 100kms. Anyone with even a minimal level of training should be able to finish that inside seven hours yet it will also produce a challenge to even an experienced cyclist. Some hills and some scenery and relatively quiet roads. You could shorten it by turning right when you reach the sally gap rather than going straight ahead and you could also do it the other way around, though that would leave the wicklow gap til fairly late in the day.

@superdave- that route is still very tough and not fundamentally different from those already posted. Also, they would want good scrambling skills, bike shoes may have to come off for the Liffey crossing you have chosen :)

th_bridge_01.jpg th_bridge_02.jpg th_bridge_03.jpg th_bridge_04.jpg th_bridge_05.jpg th_bridge_06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

blorg wrote: »
    @superdave- that route is still very tough and not fundamentally different from those already posted. Also, they would want good scrambling skills, bike shoes may have to come off for the Liffey crossing you have chosen :)

th_bridge_01.jpg th_bridge_02.jpg th_bridge_03.jpg th_bridge_04.jpg th_bridge_05.jpg th_bridge_06.jpg

I'm not denying that it is tough, but it is doable, even with minimal training. Maybe they should route through Blessington though....

superrdave wrote: »
    I'm not denying that it is tough, but it is doable, even with minimal training. Maybe they should route through Blessington though....

yeah I considered that too, its a quick blast down the National rd V's a challenging and alot more slower, quiet and scenic route through Lacken ect.
    Only vague details have been posted about it (the levels of people doing it, whether the majority cycle at all, or any notion of a preferred distance/difficulty roughly) so we can all only work with what info we have been given so far. One thing is for sure, whatever route you pick some will find it easy - moderate and others pergatory.

Keep the majority happy and the event will be a success, you can't please everyone unless you offer alternative distances/routes and 'escape routes' to shorten if you decide its too much.

:eek:u r right i have provided minimal information- most people are not cyclists but i provide a three month training programme needless to say not many stick to it- but i will give you an idea of previous events and oyu can see how they compare- the ring of kerry over two days, and last year day 1 a 60km dingle penninsula and finishing with completing the connor pass with a hike on day 2- we do have some reasonably fit cyclists too- but ur right need to keep majority happy- so the main rd is the best option... any of u interested in joining the event there is a big session ceoil at the end of two days and lots of craic overall... also 100% of raised money goes directly to a very needy charity in sth africa where 1 women cares solely for 109 children... think about it...

• Advertisement

Ring of Kerry in two days would be substantially easier, this route would be harder than doing ROK in one day I reckon. There are options while still challenging not crucifying and still avoiding main roads I reckon, worst case scenario there is a route that you just divert into N81/Blessington for a couple of km.

so what would be the route u would be suggesting??:confused:

OP in all seriousness I think given the other events you have mentioned you would be better off sticking to about an 80km/50 mile ride max, back to the drawing board and instead of WG or SG go for some easier country but not mountainous roads.

Rathdrum go SW to Aughrum - Tinaheley -Baltinglass - Hollywood - Wicklow Gap - Laragh to Rathdrum

nice route around 70km and not too hard (for your group) with only propper sustained climb to East side of Wicklow Gap.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=52.958566,-6.422882&spn=0.373091,1.212616&z=10&msid=104330368598689611565.00047e2cdbc316d0b2b56

Advertisement