Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eavan Boland

Options
  • 26-01-2010 8:44pm

My English class covered Boland a while back but we never did an essay on her. I'm trying to revise her for the mocks but I'm not sure how to approach an essay on her :| I understand the poems, but the questions that have been asked on her seem so vague that I really don't know what direction should take with her work. Could anyone suggest some points I could use in a Boland essay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Aren't the poetry answers usually the same structure with a bit of variety depending on the question. I've actually been meaning to do one on her as well since I can't find my old one and I'm gonna study her and Yeats or Kavanagh for the LC.
    Doesn't it go Themes-Language and all that stuff. I wish I was more help, but I haven't done a poetry answer in ages and I forget all the stuff that you need to use.
    All i can help you with on Boland are her themes but I'm sure you know them already. God I'm screwed:(

Just found this actually. Thought it might help you.

Go down to the 2005 one and download the English one. It only takes a second. http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=cr

And scroll down to the example answers and the end. Its the last 2 pages. It isn't a 50/50. It says what it lacked. Maybe you can use it as a template and fix the 'wrongs', then ask your teacher to correct it? Hopefully that'll help you.

Also here http://www.allhonours.ie/answers/topic/11500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

She's my favourite poet so far and i hope she comes up in June :)
    Some themes anyway -
    • War and Suffering ( The Famine Road, Child of Our time, The War Horse)
    • Motherhood/Maternal Voice (This Moment, Love, The Famine Road)
    • Suburbia (This Moment, The War Horse)
    • Love and Marriage (The Black Lac Fan My Mother Gave Me, Love, The Shadow Doll)
    • Sense of hope (Child of our time)
    • Women as victims (The Famine Road, The Shadow Doll)
    • Time (This Moment, The Black Lace Fan My Mother Gave me, Love)
    • The Banal (This Moment, The Black Lace Fan My Mother gave Me)
    There's tons of information and sample essays on google that are really helpful aswel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hellomoto

Does anyone know what poems are most likely coming up from E.Boland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

hellomoto wrote: »

That's prqactically unanswerable. Poems don't come up but general questions on the poetry (although they are more specific these days) do. It's impossible to even begin to try to guess what the question will be, it's easier to guess what poet it will be though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Poems don't come up, poets do.
    You're given a general question about the poet's work, and you discuss the question using detailed reference to whichever of their poems you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hellomoto

Lawliet wrote: »
    Poems don't come up, poets do.
    You're given a general question about the poet's work, and you discuss the question using detailed reference to whichever of their poems you want.

What do you mean?

Poetry from last years paper-
    2 - ''John Keats presents abstract ideas in a style that is clear and direct.''
    To what extent do you agree or disagree with this assesment of his poetry? Support your points with reference to the poetry on your course.

No mention of a specific poem. Its a general Q. on the poetry of Keats, so you can talk about all the poems/poems that suit your themes, etc...

Same kinda thing applies to every other poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Are you doing Ordinary Level? If so, it's more or less impossible to predict.

If you're doing Higher Level, you should know that you study a selection of poems by each poet, so you are studying the poet's work, not individual poems.

She's my favourite poet so far and i hope she comes up in June :)
    Some themes anyway -
    • War and Suffering ( The Famine Road, Child of Our time, The War Horse)
    • Motherhood/Maternal Voice (This Moment, Love, The Famine Road)
    • Suburbia (This Moment, The War Horse)
    • Love and Marriage (The Black Lac Fan My Mother Gave Me, Love, The Shadow Doll)
    • Sense of hope (Child of our time)
    • Women as victims (The Famine Road, The Shadow Doll)
    • Time (This Moment, The Black Lace Fan My Mother Gave me, Love)
    • The Banal (This Moment, The Black Lace Fan My Mother gave Me)
    There's tons of information and sample essays on google that are really helpful aswel

Thank you, that's really helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My English class covered Boland a while back but we never did an essay on her. I'm trying to revise her for the mocks but I'm not sure how to approach an essay on her :| I understand the poems, but the questions that have been asked on her seem so vague that I really don't know what direction should take with her work. Could anyone suggest some points I could use in a Boland essay?

The easiest approach to take is poem-by-poem, so do out a plan for yourself. In your intro, give some general information about her, themes etc. Throw in some biographical info and refer to the question asked.

Then, write a paragraph on each poem, discussing what it's about, themes, language, a personal response and refer to the title. Make sure you're able to make links between the poems as this shows a good understanding of the poet's work.

As for the past questions, don't worry. Once you have a decent essay planned/written, it's just a matter of referring to the question when discussing each poem. Even a token mention of the title will gain you some marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

What do you mean?

They are talking about Honours, in Ordinary level it is the individual poems that come up. I think the poem is even on the paper for you so it shouldn't be that hard.

For honours I was going to focus on Boland, Yeats, Longley and Rich one of them should come up.

Advertisement