Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers On Carrickpherrish Road - How Are They Getting Away With It?

• 26-01-2010 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with those settled travellers on the Carrickpherrish road? Deadly around there with the horses tied up all over the place, not to mention the environmental issues with the horse**** and home-made "stables" so close to the nearby estate. Must be unhygienic? In fairness to the horses, they have very little to eat as well.

Often meet the travellers racing each other too. Cant understand how they are getting away with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

there getting away with it because people whinge on the internet and to each other and do nothing about it.

diseases are rampant amongst them. diseases that have been eradicated in countries as big as the USA still exist here

yet still nothing is done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

chrism2007 wrote: »
    diseaeses are rampant amongst them.

Disease has to be rampant amongst them! The conditions are atrocious. The horse**** and urine must be running into their living area. The next estate must be stink as well.

Theres going to be an accident out that way too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

That doesn't sound like settled travellers to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

14 of the horses got out of the field their in a month or two back and decided to run around Roanmore's new field over there. A couple of the lads went over in a car to get rid of the horses from the pitch and the owners came along and gave em a hand, supposedly they where sound.
    to be honest I havent seen the horses out much and I can see them form my house.
    I thought the "owners" of the horses where giving the field over there as opposed to just barging in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Whats the story with those settled travellers on the Carrickpherrish road? Deadly around there with the horses tied up all over the place, not to mention the environmental issues with the horse**** and home-made "stables" so close to the nearby estate. Must be unhygienic? In fairness to the horses, they have very little to eat as well.

Often meet the travellers racing each other too. Cant understand how they are getting away with it.

Because they use the minority/Descrimination card and can do pretty much what they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

If they had any sense, and wanted to park where nobody would really notice them, they should park on the new bypass :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I live next to them, never had a problem. No smells as people say.. Saw the horses out on the road once.. They say hello if your walking past..

I rather them living there than all the foreigners in the actual estate.

but that's a different story

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

dazftw wrote: »
    Saw the horses out on the road once.. They say hello if your walking past..

Horses that talk........ thats gas!!!!:D

Yeah my father was walking the dog in the northern extension of the estate there the other day, he said about 9/10 horses came running down the hill by douglas engineering without any owners, in between cars and straight out onto the busier road:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i take it this tread isnt about the travellers on the old golf course lane in johns park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

THESE LADS LOOK AFTER THEIR HORSES its part of their culture
    whats the problem?

other people stay in their houses / apartments play consoles watch dvds surf the net ,wander out occasionally to spot these things .thats their culture :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hoffmans wrote: »
    THESE LADS LOOK AFTER THEIR HORSES its part of their culture
    whats the problem?
    Some look after their horses.Others dont and you can tell the horses are pretty malnourished just by looking at them.

Are you the resident PC poster here actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

thats pure rubbish boi
    horses like all animals come in all shapes and sizes just coz a horse looks skinny dont means that its starvin ............

Yep. They are now treating the entire area, road and all, as their backyard. The fact that they say "Hello" now and again doesn't change the fact that the place is a complete disgrace. Embarrassing and a health hazard.

And by the way, why in hell are they allowed by the guards to race around the ORR taking up both lanes and holding up trafffic?? Not to mention the fact that they are beating the hell out of the horses too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hoffmans wrote: »
    thats pure rubbish boi
    horses like all animals come in all shapes and sizes just coz a horse looks skinny dont means that its starvin ............

I'll agree that some of them likely do look after their horses and thats great, however to say that none of them are malnourished would be incorrect.

In much the same way as you'd say all of them are malnourished his would also be incorrect.

There are good and bad settled people in the same way as there's good and bad travellers, its not nice to paint either side with the one brush.

Bare in mind there is without a doubt malnourished horses that are owned by travellers, same as there's malnourished horses owned by settled people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Not to mention the fact that they are beating the hell out of the horses too.

Whatever you might think about using the orr for racing (for the record, anything that interferes with me getting from a - b, I am not a fan of) but don't think they lash the horses anymore than you'd see at any race meet around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

I live next to them, never had a problem. No smells as people say.. Saw the horses out on the road once.. They say hello if your walking past..

I rather them living there than all the foreigners in the actual estate.

but that's a different story

there not all bad. theres a family of foreigners who go around and clean up my estate every weekend. then the students just wreck it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Have you made an official complaint about it??????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yep. They are now treating the entire area, road and all, as their backyard. The fact that they say "Hello" now and again doesn't change the fact that the place is a complete disgrace. Embarrassing and a health hazard.

No they're not! Its a bitta **** on the footpath/road big deal its basically the country side out there anyway.

The middle of town is a bigger health hazard tbh.

Its so annoying, people talking like they know whats going on.. People have asked me on several occasions "id say its horrible living next to them.." its not at all.

If you don't live in that estate you have no right to say whether its a disgrace or not. If you drive past on you way to work. Still no right because it doesn't directly effect you. Ive been living there almost 2 years and have not had a single problem with them. The only thing that anyone can complain about is when they were all parked on the actual road several months back. Then the place was their backyard!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mickey_stokes

now if you have a problem about where i live you better come now and say it to me in person,i treat my ponys very well and they can run around the town if they want,and if ye all you have a problem with it ye all you can head off now,and dont be saying im smelly now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

now if you have a problem about where i live you better come now and say it to me in person,i treat my ponys very well and they can run around the town if they want,and if ye all you have a problem with it ye all you can head off now,and dont be saying im smelly now

Ok I must say that was a bit of a giggle that you made the joke but was it worth the bother of re-registering for it?? Me thinks so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Clano wrote: »
    Horses that talk........ thats gas!!!!:D

Yeah my father was walking the dog in the northern extension of the estate there the other day, he said about 9/10 horses came running down the hill by douglas engineering without any owners, in between cars and straight out onto the busier road:eek:

Were they talkin when they did that too???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

"Mickey Stokes"! legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

The only thing that anyone can complain about is when they were all parked on the actual road several months back. Then the place was their backyard!

i agree , i live in estate beside them too and iv never had any hassle , its true they have alot of fields taken over by many many horses but surely they have permission:confused: , the number of horses has grown over last few months imo , and i do know down in field beside my estate a dead horse was left before and they denied owning it , not good when kids around ,

Its a worry and a danger when up to 15 horses get out on road like happened a couple times but they do get out and have them in fairly quickly ,

I taught it would of bein worse at start but they are not the worst ( so far ):) . it is strange how all the caravans do not come here no more is that down to council or the travellers themselves telling them not to stay?

Yeah, I'm sure the people themselves are fine. I dont think they ever put in or out on anybody.

It's more about the risk of accidents and health. Leaving a dead horse in the field (which has very little grass for feeding by the way) for days is not good!

I'm into horses myself and I think the conditions that they are kept in is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Yeah, I'm sure the people themselves are fine. I dont think they ever put in or out on anybody.

It's more about the risk of accidents and health. Leaving a dead horse in the field (which has very little grass for feeding by the way) for days is not good!

I'm into horses myself and I think the conditions that they are kept in is appalling.

ye well i could not disagree really they seem to have to many to cope with and they do not look too pleasing to the eye compared to the lovely horses that walk pass down this road from the equestrian i think over the road ,

jo06555 wrote: »
    ye well i could not disagree really they seem to have to many to cope with and they do not look too pleasing to the eye compared to the lovely horses that walk pass down this road from the equestrian i think over the road ,

Thats Stonehaven I'd say. Thats where I ride myself. Huge difference in the condition of the horses alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

surely horses need proper housing and vet care. a horse box and a near by field cant be good enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hi billy. :D

Advertisement