Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using my 3 and o2 sims in oz

Options
  • 26-01-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

hi lads, just arrived in melbourne and can't use my 3 sim to connect to 3telstra (3 oz?) it keeps saying "no access". I can connect to yes optus but i want to use 3 like home. Have to use o2 sim with optus just to get a data connection. Any ideas? Do i have to set up manual apn or something? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

My 3 Ireland card worked fine when I was in Perth and here in Brisbane and the 3 like home worked a treat. Occasionally I was on a differrent network, but generally it defaulted to 3telstra (Never understood why it says 3telstra when there is a 3 network here, who I am with now). The internet worked perfect too.

It must be down to network coverage where you are. Perhaps some of the other folks who are in or have been to Melbourne might know more about the 3 network coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

How long are you here for? why not just buy a new sim card. Telstra are the most expensive network in Oz so I'd hate to see what its cost for roaming on their network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Reason for using 3telstra if you have a 3ireland sim card,

If you're on "three", you can roam on another "three" network anywhere in the world for free.

So cheap calls to ireland and free receiving calls from ireland even when in the back of beyond of Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Giles_

hi lads, just arrived in melbourne and can't use my 3 sim to connect to 3telstra (3 oz?) it keeps saying "no access".

Are you on 3Pay (pre-paid) or Pay Monthly?

In Oz, Irish 3Pay SIMs can only access Telstra and Optus (and thus not 3 like Home). OTOH, Irish Pay Monthly SIMs can roam to 3 Australia, and thus can use 3 like Home.

(NB Telstra is not the same as 3Telstra. It's a bit complicated, but suffice to say you cannot access 3 like Home if roaming on Telstra.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

hi, thanks for replies. im on bill pay sim only 30 day contract and they told me this qualifies for 3 like home in australia. I can see the 3telstra network coming up as an option no bother just cant access it. Presumably even if not entitled to 3 like home u should be able to roam on it? My O2 sim will also connect to Optus but not 3telstra!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Giles_

Bugger... it should work then, in theory.

It might be to do with this - a dispute between 3 and Telstra over their shared 3G network. Bit of a long shot, but given Telstra now has its own 3G network, and 3 AU is now merged with Vodafone, Telstra might no longer be willing to give cheap roaming to customers of 3's foreign networks.

To get a better answer than that, you might like to try Whirlpool, a popular forum for mobile and broadband issues.

Good luck with it, and enjoy your stay in Oz!

Advertisement