Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut flour

Options
  • 26-01-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hiya just wondering does anyone use this?I'm trying to learn how to do gluten free baking and I've seen this mentioned and it sounds lovely. Are there any tis or tricks for baking with it, what flours can you sub it in for, do you need to use it as part of a blend etc? Also where can I buy it? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have it and love it. I mix it with porridge oats (uncooked), whey powder & milk. I do not bake anything so have not used it, but I have mixed it in with oats, egg & milk and made pancakes which turned out very well.

I got mine in a shop in blackrock market in dublin, it is a proper indoor shop, not a stall, it is run by an Indian looking guy and they have chinese & indian stuff etc, other Asian stores should have it. I got a big 1kg bag of west end brand, can't remember the price but very reasonable, I think cheaper than dessicated coconut in supermarkets. I expect you could just liquidise up dessicated coconut instead.

It is highly calorific, and due to its high saturated fat content it is amazingly high in WW points.
    600kcal of dessicated coconut is 21.5points
    600kcal of white sugar is 8.5points

But I eat it partly since it gives you good energy and is supposed to be an AID to fatloss. Since it is so high in fat I expect you can leave out the fats in the likes of cake, or partially omit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

rubadub wrote: »
    I have it and love it. I mix it with porridge oats (uncooked), whey powder & milk. I do not bake anything so have not used it, but I have mixed it in with oats, egg & milk and made pancakes which turned out very well.

I got mine in a shop in blackrock market in dublin, it is a proper indoor shop, not a stall, it is run by an Indian looking guy and they have chinese & indian stuff etc, other Asian stores should have it. I got a big 1kg bag of west end brand, can't remember the price but very reasonable, I think cheaper than dessicated coconut in supermarkets. I expect you could just liquidise up dessicated coconut instead.

It is highly calorific, and due to its high saturated fat content it is amazingly high in WW points.
    600kcal of dessicated coconut is 21.5points
    600kcal of white sugar is 8.5points

But I eat it partly since it gives you good energy and is supposed to be an AID to fatloss. Since it is so high in fat I expect you can leave out the fats in the likes of cake, or partially omit them.

Wow thanks for all the info! Great idea about the dessicated didn't think of that will give the coffee grinder a run for it's money tomorrow :D
    I'm not surised at all that it's so high Kcal, but like you said it suposidly boosts metabolism so maybe those 2 characteristics will negate each other ;) Another good reason to use it is heat stability, and just cos coconut is amazing in everything! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Wow thanks for all the info! Great idea about the dessicated didn't think of that will give the coffee grinder a run for it's money tomorrow :D
    I'm not surised at all that it's so high Kcal, but like you said it suposidly boosts metabolism so maybe those 2 characteristics will negate each other ;) Another good reason to use it is heat stability, and just cos coconut is amazing in everything! :)

KK let me know how you get on baking with this, I was intrigued since you asked me about it :):) And grinding it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Pembily wrote: »
    KK let me know how you get on baking with this, I was intrigued since you asked me about it :):) And grinding it :)

Will do!

Advertisement