Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodgers / Planning Permission

Options
  • 26-01-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi Lads

I was wondering if anyone could clarify if planning permission is required to rent out part of your home to a tenant/lodger. We have a three storey house and would like to have a tenant/lodger to occupy the ground floor. We will live on the two upper floors. I have looked through the planning act and can find no reference to it, and have also looked on the citizens information site. The Citizens information site refers to the tax inplications of having a lodger but nothing mentioned about planning permission. I'm assuming planning is not required.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

One of those either/or type situations. Most planners would take the view that permission is required as you would be creating a separate self contained living unit within a single dwelling. However depending on the actual extent or scope of the proposed occupancy then it could be argued that it is exempt as provided for in the regs regarding dwellings/B & B's.

Id run it past the local planners to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I would say if you do any work to make two self contained units then you would require planning, ie block off the stairs to seperate the units and use seperate doors. If they could walk in and live in it as it stands with no work at all then maybe not..... but as muffler says ask your area planner to be sure to be sure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

No6 wrote: »
    I would say if you do any work to make two self contained units then you would require planning, ie block off the stairs to seperate the units and use seperate doors.

And then a Fire Safety cert....

Advertisement