Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I believe congratulations are in order

• 26-01-2010 11:08pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Gareth Bale won his first league game (starting) tonight, according to the BBC.

It only took him 975 days since joining Tottenham.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Christ, that's some record!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Move to the big four is on for the lad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

To infinity and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It was a crazy record alright. Glad it's finally over though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any chance he has Irish grandparents ??? Sign him up Trap !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

That's a record nobody'll be wanting to chase, prolly best not to put it on the cv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Minute I saw the thread title I knew what this was funny thing he was man of the match a few time during all those matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I could never get over that fact, it was just hilarious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Where does he go from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Dave! wrote: »
    Any chance he has Irish grandparents ??? Sign him up Trap !

Haha, not a chance. By some miracle, he's a full Welsh international.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

How many games is it actually though? He has only played 28 league games for Spurs and its only in games that he started so less than that again. Good performance by him tonight anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

THANK CHRIST he did not join my team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

DazMarz wrote: »
    By some miracle, he's a full Welsh international.

If Martin Jol had been at Spurs for longer than he was after signing Bale, Bale would now be one of the best young full backs in the Premier League at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If Martin Jol had been at Spurs for longer than he was after signing Bale, Bale would now be one of the best young full backs in the Premier League at least.
    Bale is actually Glen Johnson except he plays left back ever wonder why he isn't playing for liverpool at the moment? This is what Harry is being investigated for.;) He's excellent going foward with pace to burn but not as good defensively as he could be still he's only 20 and made his 100 senior league apperance tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Johner wrote: »
    How many games is it actually though? He has only played 28 league games for Spurs and its only in games that he started so less than that again. Good performance by him tonight anyway.

he has started 22 league games for spurs according to espn, not sure if that includes tonight (probably not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

SuprSi wrote: »
    It was a crazy record alright. Glad it's finally over though!
    I'm genuinely gutted - it was incredibly fun to keep track of this, particularly because injuries have meant he's started a lot less games in that time than you'd expect. And he was so young - if he'd kept up his injury record, this could have gone on for years (more).

Or maybe it was only fun because I'm an Arsenal fan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

It's actually his first league win in the starting line up. He won as a sub in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I swore he won a game away to someone back when Spurs missed out on 4th to Arsenal. A game he scored a sweet goal on a counter in - must have gone on to lose it or it was a consolation.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

m@cc@ wrote: »
    It's actually his first league win in the starting line up. He won as a sub in September.
    Aye, he played 6 minutes in a 5-0 thrashing. Harry wanted to make sure the result was beyond all doubt before he brought his lucky charm on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

He should probably retire now at his peak and on a high!

We don't want him to turn into a Ronaldinho, a player whose a shadow of his former self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I cannot accept this fact. Its like someone telling ya they saw a ghost and swearing on their ma's life. I just can't accept that this could be true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

GSPfan wrote: »
    I cannot accept this fact. Its like someone telling ya they saw a ghost and swearing on their ma's life. I just can't accept that this could be true.
    So what Bale has done is confirm ghosts are real. Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

CHD wrote: »
    So what Bale has done is confirm ghosts are real. Cool.

More importantly, yore ma gets to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It was a good perforamnce from him to, I was expecting at least a draw when they went 2-0. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I cannot believe nobody has asked when the DVD is coming out...

It is sooo last decade anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Reminds me of that stat with Rushy. He only scored once against Manchester United in his entire career before he eventually broke his duck in 1992. Radio commentators used to bring it up a lot although just for anecdotal purposes.
    in the League, injuries restricted him to just 18 League games and three goals that season. However, his third goal came in a crucial 2–0 home win over Manchester United on 26 April 1992 which denied their arch-rivals the championship, the title going instead to Leeds United. Incredibly, this was his only ever goal past Manchester United in his whole career. Liverpool managed only a sixth place finish in the league that season, the first time since 1981 that they had not finished champions or runners-up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Rush

Advertisement