Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap dealer

Options
  • 26-01-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey,

My mum crashed her car and looking for a scrap car dealer who would give us something for it - seems like it should be good for parts. Anyone know of anyone either city or county who does car scrappage and might be interested?

thanks,
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

In this backward country, you usually have to PAY scrappies for them to take your car... what a fcukin' joke

Try Galway Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

JohnCleary wrote: »
    In this backward country, you usually have to PAY scrappies for them to take your car... what a fcukin' joke

Try Galway Metal

So this 'backward country' is now also responsible for the market fluctuation of the world steel price!:rolleyes:

kevcos wrote: »
    So this 'backward country' is now also responsible for the market fluctuation of the world steel price!:rolleyes:

Well someone here made a great observation not so long ago.

Galway Metal will offer you 300euro for 1tonne of aluminium. They then sell it in the UK for about 1800euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

JohnCleary wrote: »

Try Galway Metal
    Galway metal will only crush it. I think OP wants to sell it on so someone else can sell the parts that are left.

There's a dismantlers halfway to Tuam around a mile after the anbally inn on the left.

There's a dismantlers halfway to Tuam around a mile after the anbally inn on the left.

Yeah as I mentioned they'll most likely charge you for taking it in, as opposed to paying you for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

What make of car is it?? I'd advertise it for parts yourself until you make however much the scrappies will charge you to take it.. Only if you have the time/patience/will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Yeap, I had to pay them. They have to give you a certificate of destruction, remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What Marty said, if you have the space advertise it for parts and let people take what they need from it.

You can ring breakers, there are Nohilly and Headford Road that I know of. One is out the Headford road of Galway about 8 mile outside.
    Headford Road Car Dismantlers 091 751148

The other Nohilly Car dismantlers is out the Tuam road. Its about 15 miles or so out there, past Claregalway and it is on the left.
    Nohilly Car Dismantlers 093 41602

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

Think there is a guy who advertises at the end of the car section in the Advertiser classifieds that will pay cash for cars in any condition, might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Beagle Boy

thanks for all your input guys. We got someone to take it off my mums hands for a few pounds more than what the insurance company's scrap company were going to give.

Im not sure what he plans to do with the car but as it was just deemed uneconomical to repair by the insurance company I guess he could get it back on the road. What paper work do we need to get from the guy who's buying it to prove that its no longer in my mums ownership?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

If the car is going to be destroyed, you have to get a certificate of destruction.
    If the car is going to be on the road again you have to transfer the ownership to this person the same as you were selling the car.
    Fill out the new owner's details in the certificate of ownership and send it by post to the address mentioned on the same certificate (I don't have it at hand).
    If you don't do that then technically your mother is still the owner and liable for any problems with the car.

Advertisement