Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megadeth, Testament & Exodus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

kbannon wrote: »
    I seen. Id give my left Testicle to see rust in peace in its entirety! Too bad its prob not coming here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Testament playing The Legacy in full too - but Sholnick won't be with them on these dates.........
    would love to see it but as said above can't see it hitting here......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mandalore87

I'm gutted this isn't coming to Europe. Rust In Peace plus The Legacy in full? Yes please, especially for Poison Was the Cure!

I bet Exodus will turn around now and play Bonded By Blood in full.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I'm gutted this isn't coming to Europe. Rust In Peace plus The Legacy in full? Yes please, especially for Poison Was the Cure!

I bet Exodus will turn around now and play Bonded By Blood in full.:mad:

That's the next thing I was expecting to hear......but what can you do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I might be killed for saying this but isn't Mustaine just copying Metallica

In fairness, he's going to have a hard time if someone approaches him and says "hey Dave, Metallica did that first"....wasn't their that scene in SKOM in which he tells Lars that he couldn't understand that no matter how good Megadeth got there was always Metallica ahead of them.....poor Dave, he's ****ed

Also, one thing about hearing this album live, that's different with Metallica...is that it will be Dave with a group of musicians (some of whom weren't out of nappies when this album was originally recorded and released) who had nothing to do with the original concept. When Metallica performed MOP live in full, Cliff was dead, so everyone else on that stage was responsible for that masterpiece and you could understand them celebrating it

I'm sorry, but unless he was to at least invite Ellefson back for this tour, it doesn't have the same appeal and it makes me believe he's just copying something he saw Metallica do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

copying smellatica? thats a prosecutable offence u know..

is it ever. but i believe Megadeth reserve the right to tour what they must regard as a masterpiece with no filler. after all.. metallikur did it? so did slayer. lots have; most outside metal

In fairness, he's going to have a hard time if someone approaches him and says "hey Dave, Metallica did that first"....wasn't their that scene in SKOM in which he tells Lars that he couldn't understand that no matter how good Megadeth got there was always Metallica ahead of them.....poor Dave, he's ****ed

Also, one thing about hearing this album live, that's different with Metallica...is that it will be Dave with a group of musicians (some of whom weren't out of nappies when this album was originally recorded and released) who had nothing to do with the original concept. When Metallica performed MOP live in full, Cliff was dead, so everyone else on that stage was responsible for that masterpiece and you could understand them celebrating it

I'm sorry, but unless he was to at least invite Ellefson back for this tour, it doesn't have the same appeal and it makes me believe he's just copying something he saw Metallica do
    Gotta agree with star bingo here. A lot of acts have been doing this loong before metallica. I do think they should get Elfson back at least though. Hes the other half of Megadeth IMO, even though he wrote shag all he was one the person who maybe had any input into daves creative vision pretty much the whole way along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i'll agree they need that poser ellefson back :o less of one than freidman anyhow. -was a touch of the glam about megadeth in a way wasn't there

Star Bingo wrote: »
    i'll agree they need that poser ellefson back :o less of one than freidman anyhow. -was a touch of the glam about megadeth in a way wasn't there

So, of the Rust In Peace lineup, who is doing what?

Dave Mustaine - still in something referred to as Megadeth. Despite what people say I believe Mustaine outranks Kirk Hammett 10 to 1
    Marty Friedman - makes his money in Japan now, actually played on Sonic and the Dark Knight soundtrack, during the final boss level - and has released 8 solo albums up to 2008
    Nick Menza - although Mustaine is now a Christian, he may never work with Menza again, especially since Menza "apparently" lied about having cancer and was fired from Megadeth for this. His current band is called Orphaned to Hatred
    David Ellefson - Currently a member of 4 bands - Temple of Brutality, F5, Killing Machine and Hail - David also finds time to perform at the NAMM. Like Mustaine, he is also a committed Christian, so in the way of "brotherly love" they should put aside their differences and get together
    Chris Poland* - OHMPHREY, a side-project with Robby Pagliari of OHM, and Jake Cinninger, Kris Myers, and Joel Cummins of Umphrey's McGee

*Before anyone has a go, Poland recorded the original guitar solo's for some of Rust In Peace's most iconic tracks - but left in early 1990 and his stuff only reappeared some years later. However, since Poland has this connection, and has worked with Mustaine in the recent past (on 2004's System Has Failed) he might be the perfect choice

And remember perhaps the most important thing, Megadeth are playing at Download, they'll be on the main stage, and it's Donnington's 30th anniversary of holding these events...so, I think Mustaine might want to play Rust in Peace for his set and nothing else!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ah its a pity there not coming over here alrite,I remember seeing exodus about 3 1/2 yrs ago in the voodoo lounge before the slayer gig and they were brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Pretty pathetic that a band has to promote their new tour by playing a record that is 20 years old. Basically it says "everything we have done since is rubbish" . That goes for Metallica too.
    Rust in Peace in it's entirety? So what.
    Actually it isn't even their best album.

buck65 wrote: »
    Pretty pathetic that a band has to promote their new tour by playing a record that is 20 years old.

It's not a new tour. Compared to the likes of Anthrax, Slayer and Metallica, Megadeth release more material more consistently and do not tend to stay off the road. Mustaine has said in interviews he works with younger players because he doesn't have a family himself and doesn't need to spend 5 years between albums. On top of that he tours, without fail, every year...Megadeth have played the UK for example more times than Metallica. Mustaine keeps himself sober by performing and this album represents so much more than just another tour. But I'll explain that to you below.
    Basically it says "everything we have done since is rubbish" . That goes for Metallica too.

No, it doesn't, it's giving the fans nostalgia for the sake of it. Every band does it and while I was fast to be critical of Megadeth on this thread myself there is a valid reason for performing these tracks. As a band's back catalogue grows sacrifices have to be made, and fans don't get to hear some tracks they might want to at any given show. This tour specifically appeals to the old school Megadeth fan who bought Rust In Peace when they were 13 and grew up with Metal from then on...and the US has a lot more of those kind of fans (because there was a lot of pivotal releases between 90-93 in Metal)
    Rust in Peace in it's entirety? So what.

This is the album that solidified Megadeth's lineup for 8 years. It's also the album that introduced most people on a global scale to Megadeth. And, if it hadn't been for the overwhelming success of the Black album, this could have been the metal album of the 90s....as I've said, I know guys older then me who got into metal as a result of this album....and that's a testament to the skill and musicianship on this record. And I for one would love to hear some of these songs, especially the ones that haven't been played in 20yrs
    Actually it isn't even their best album.

While Countdown to Extinction was nominated for a Grammy, this album remains a winner in my book, it was a raw Trash album that allowed the band to make the statements they had to make without sacrificing their sound (although they would eventually go off to "Risk" it all) - for me, this is Megadeth's finest hour, although they would have better songs on other albums this is still a fantastic collection altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

So, of the Rust In Peace lineup, who is doing what?

Marty Friedman - makes his money in Japan now, actually played on Sonic and the Dark Knight soundtrack, during the final boss level - and has released 8 solo albums up to 2008
    [/B]

Really?? That I did not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Are you serious? Peace sells and So Far so good were the albums that made Megadeth's name. Rust in Peace is fine , Holy wars and one or 2 other songs but alot of it is weak...poppy even.
    It might have sold loads in the way Metallica's Black album did to all the tweens getting into metal at the time, that's another argument.

Rare footage of Megadeth performing Lucretia at a soundcheck - look at that drumkit and tell me that didn't make an impact! I certainly hope someone rigs that up for Mr Drover on the current tour

Oh, and my mistake, Rust In Peace was nominated for a Grammy, but sadly never got it's chance in the limelight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mandalore87

I'm a regular on the Megadeth forums and a it was announced today that the pre-sale tickets for the 'US portion' of the Rust In Peace tour would be up for sale in a few days.

I'm guessing this means they do plan on taking this outside the US although I would say England will be the closest for us. I'd definitely head to London to see Megadeth, Testament and Exodus. That would be one sore gig. :pac:

Also, why does Metallica have to be brought up everytime Megadeth is being discussed? That went past it's sell by date ages ago.

I'm a regular on the Megadeth forums and a it was announced today that the pre-sale tickets for the 'US portion' of the Rust In Peace tour would be up for sale in a few days.

I'm guessing this means they do plan on taking this outside the US although I would say England will be the closest for us. I'd definitely head to London to see Megadeth, Testament and Exodus. That would be one sore gig. :pac:

Also, why does Metallica have to be brought up everytime Megadeth is being discussed? That went past it's sell by date ages ago.
    Just like metallica :p. Ok time to stop before I cause a ****storm.... I love em both lets not fight haha :).

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Are you serious? Peace sells and So Far so good were the albums that made Megadeth's name. Rust in Peace is fine , Holy wars and one or 2 other songs but alot of it is weak...poppy even.
    It might have sold loads in the way Metallica's Black album did to all the tweens getting into metal at the time, that's another argument.
    You are joking right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

Patricide wrote: »
    I seen. Id give my left Testicle to see rust in peace in its entirety! Too bad its prob not coming here :(

yeah, me too...damn...

yeah, me too...damn...

I reckon with Junior back this will be played in Cork

And, you should prob keep a watch out on Chris Poland - I'm not saying the new Chris will be going for good, but Poland could yet return to this tour as well

http://www.chrispoland.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement