Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

320gb Western digital connected to 360

• 27-01-2010 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how to get this to show up in the portable devices list when connected through usb? I read a few places that it would need to be formatted to FAT32, but using vista, it does not have this option. Any ideas??
    Have it networked over wifi, but buffering always seems to happen at high pace parts of movies and can sometimes never recover:( Any help GREATLY appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It can be done through Vista. Connect the drive to your PC or laptop. GO into My Computer, right click the drive, go the properties and it will have the format options. Make sure you have nothing you want to keep on the drive before you do it.

Actually, I take that back. I did format an external for FAT 32 to NTFS just last week. I'm just looking for the option now it does not seem to be there. Looks like with Windows Vista and 7, once you go to NTFS you can't go back.

I'm sure there are free programs on download.com that will allow you to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You can also create separate partitions rather than just formatting the entire disk. I created an xbox partition on my WD passport.

There is a link here to a microsoft provided solution. I can't test it myself, I'm running Ubuntu here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

It can be done through Vista. Connect the drive to your PC or laptop. GO into My Computer, right click the drive, go the properties and it will have the format options. Make sure you have nothing you want to keep on the drive before you do it.

Actually, I take that back. I did format an external for FAT 32 to NTFS just last week. I'm just looking for the option now it does not seem to be there. Looks like with Windows Vista and 7, once you go to NTFS you can't go back.

I'm sure there are free programs on download.com that will allow you to do this.

I think the issue is actually that for a number of years now M$ have limited the size of a partition that can be created/formatted in NTFS. As already mentioned you can create such a partition on the drive, or you could look into a tool called GParted which should be available on a live CD, and usually works with USB drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Connect the Harddrive to your computer and use this to format it to FAT32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

amacachi wrote: »
    Connect the Harddrive to your computer and use this to format it to FAT32.

I've a TB hdd, and have never had to format it for any reason, and it links up with the 360 just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I've a TB hdd, and have never had to format it for any reason, and it links up with the 360 just fine.

Probably because it was already formatted in FAT32.

OP use the utility that amacachi suggested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

slightly off topic here, i use a 1TB hdd in fat32 for the xbox, but when i was asked why it had to be fat32 the other day, i drew blanks.

isnt NTFS a M$ invention, and shouldnt it be supported by MS?

on topic, i used a program called Paragon partition manager to format and partition, but it isnt free. i also made my fat32 sector around 800gb, so i could keep a bit of NTFS for all the 4gb+ files.
    if you go by my root though, you have to make the first partition Fat32 and the second NTFS, otherwise the xbox wont boot the fat32 sector (it wont boot NTFS at all obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    slightly off topic here, i use a 1TB hdd in fat32 for the xbox, but when i was asked why it had to be fat32 the other day, i drew blanks.

isnt NTFS a M$ invention, and shouldnt it be supported by MS?

on topic, i used a program called Paragon partition manager to format and partition, but it isnt free. i also made my fat32 sector around 800gb, so i could keep a bit of NTFS for all the 4gb+ files.
    if you go by my root though, you have to make the first partition Fat32 and the second NTFS, otherwise the xbox wont boot the fat32 sector (it wont boot NTFS at all obviously)

Just to be awkward TBH, same as why neither the 360 nor the PS3 doesn't support MKV, despite MKV being supported under DivX which the PS3 is certified for.

Advertisement