Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The public Service has spoken in the Irish Times Poll will the Government Listen

Options
  • 27-01-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Judging by the reaction in the Irish Times poll today 26/Jan will the government now reconsider the paycuts in the budget. We can be sceptical of the results of these polls as they can be rigged by mass e-mail campaigns etc. but the messages do not lie and need to be given some consideration.

Read on......

http://www.irishtimes.com/polls/index.cfm?fuseaction=yesnopoll&pollid=9203

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

The answer to this is simple -

The Irish Times is bought and viewed by people that support the public service, just like The Irish Independant and other papers are bought by sane people who live in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

picpress wrote: »
    Judging by the reaction in the Irish Times poll today 26/Jan will the government now reconsider the paycuts in the budget. We can be sceptical of the results of these polls as they can be rigged by mass e-mail campaigns etc. but the messages do not lie and need to be given some consideration.

Read on......

Just because the public are againist it doesnt magically create money to pay the public sector wages with

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The Irish Times is bought and viewed by people that support the public service, just like The Irish Independant and other papers are bought by sane people who live in the real world.

I dunno, the people who buy the Indo seem to be bigger fans of fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Read on......

Our government is really really bad.
    But, so far, it hasn't shown itself to do uturns on major economic decisions based on the results of online polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 picpress

Not sure if this is true judging by the relentless knocking of the public service promoted by these same papers since the summer of 2008 and the promoting of the employers / Private sector line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

The public Service has spoken in the Irish Times Poll will the Government Listen

Of course, they will read it, realise the error of their ways and then make money appear from thin air.

And then they will go after Thiery Henry and make him give the goal back.

Easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

A newspaper poll is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If this was an online poll then it just explains that public sector workers have the time to vote during their working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Just because the public are againist it doesnt magically create money to pay the public sector wages with

+1

The country cannot afford its current level of expenditure. Obviously cuts should be made in as fair a manner as possible (something which I don't believe is happening at the moment), but cutting 4 billion was the right thing to do, and more will be needed over the next few years so that we are not crippled by interest repayments in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Vote early & Often !

I voted 4 times in the IT Poll "Should Queen Elizabeth visit Ireland?"

As far as tourists are concerned we need as many as possible....Come on Lizzie!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

I wish they would just take the pain and shut up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Read on......

that poll often throws up strange results. I remember a few times when practically every comment was for one side and the result would show a majority for the other, its not a reliable poll.
    Personally I don't blame CPSU and other lower paid members for striking, they took a disproportionate hit in their pay, but most other PS have little to complain about IMO. They are still very well paid and we all know the other benefits that go with a career in the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

Sane people like the guy who's letter claimed that the average public servant was on 120 euro an hour?

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/disillusioned-with-pay-farce-2031327.html

dunno what was worse about that... the fact that he wrote it or that they published it...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭galway2007

guys i am worried for all yea that replyed to this post
    Once again you belived a poll that was in the irishtimes
    For god sake the poll was fixed emails we sent around to the public sector
    and one again yea fell for it

Sane people like the guy who's letter claimed that the average public servant was on 120 euro an hour?

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/disillusioned-with-pay-farce-2031327.html

dunno what was worse about that... the fact that he wrote it or that they published it...

My guess is it would be at least an average of €120 an hour.
    NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED

Irish Independent

Perhaps the address is Fine Gael HQ as they seem to joining the Public Service bashing agenda as well judging what was said on the six one news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The difference in opinion on what the Irish times and independent are and are not is amusing! The whole country is so left wing, that anything even left of centre is referred to as radical right wing! The Independent offers realistic analysis of the situtation and the options available! I suppose you could say it represents the vast majority of how the country feel! let me put it this way! Look at the poll, "Do you think public service unions are justified in staging a work-to-rule protest over pay cuts?" 69% yes 31% no! let me put it to the same people that responded to the poll this way! if you are in the private sector are you happy to pay more taxes to keep public service pay at the same level? or if you are on social welfare or the OAP are you happy to have your welfare rate cut to keep them on the same wage?! Run that poll! because it amounts to the same thing! no doubt you would ask the retarded bleeding heart electorate ( I would estimate atleast 50% of the voting population) here that question and they would say " ofcourse their pay shouldnt be cut, but they couldnt tell you what should either!

given how fixed that poll was, its actually quite a dissapointing result for the yes vote!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Look at the poll, "Do you think public service unions are justified in staging a work-to-rule protest over pay cuts?" 69% yes 31% no!

Like it or loath it what it does show is that the public service is near 100% behind the work to rule given that those and in the 31% saying no probably is made up of those whose chosen sport is bashing the public service etc.

Given that the actual paycuts will for the majority be hitting in tomorrows pay check and will be backdated to 1st Jan the yes size would be larger if the poll was taken again.

Peter McLooney has said the "well is now dry in relation to further cuts to the PS" as far as i was concerned there was another 20 odd billion there?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Recent headlines on a news bulletin

Aer Lingus plan to cut spending to be implemented by unions, including 300 redundancies, in the next 2-4 weeks. Cue head of their unions, saying "dark proposals" had been put to them initially, so they've decided to go with these proposals.
    Next item......clip of the head of the CPSU adressing a gathering of union members, telling them that the Gov has it in for them as an employer and they are going to stand up and fight any suggestion of paycuts. Followed by clips of various other unions saying the cuts are a disgrace, they're being picked on, and they've got loads of support.

Just....leaves me speechless. One rule for some people and a different rule for the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

dan_d wrote: »
    Recent headlines on a news bulletin

Aer Lingus plan to cut spending to be implemented by unions, including 300 redundancies, in the next 2-4 weeks. Cue head of their unions, saying "dark proposals" had been put to them initially, so they've decided to go with these proposals.
    Next item......clip of the head of the CPSU adressing a gathering of union members, telling them that the Gov has it in for them as an employer and they are going to stand up and fight any suggestion of paycuts. Followed by clips of various other unions saying the cuts are a disgrace, they're being picked on, and they've got loads of support.

Just....leaves me speechless. One rule for some people and a different rule for the rest.

Well said, also did you hear the Mandate have advocated that the staff who work for Clery's should take a 20% pay cut over the next 39 weeks in order to safeguard jobs, at least one union is living in the real world, Its interesting that some private sector unions are showing some flexibility on pay cuts ie Aer Lingus, Cappoquin Chickens, Clery's. On the other hand the public sector unions seem to be completely immune from reality.

Also I think any form of industrial action in the public sector should be outlawed be it public sector strikes, work to rule or demarcation bull**it. We are fighting for our economic survival as a nation and the unions should not be allowed to call the shots as far as I'm concerned.

Advertisement