Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Of corn snakes and shed boxes?

Options
  • 27-01-2010 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

My corn snake is going into shed. The last time she did she retained the tail. Soaked her to get it off. It went alright This time how ever to see if she can achieve a full shed I wish to try using a shed box. Just wondering a few things on this such as...

1. Where to position the shed box with regards the hot side or the cold side.
    2. Whether to substitute the normal hide with the shed box or leave the normal hide as is.

Any other additional info would be appreciated also with regards the matter. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

Give it a moist hide, depending on the size of the viv I'd say the cool end or the middle?More importantly though just make sure it has a water bowl big enough to soak in, if he has that it should shed just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

two hides, one cool, one warm!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Reaper of Mind

I have been thinking of getting another hide. I have the one half and half and she keeps on either side happy enough but I know it is better for thermo-regulation. I put the shed box in today but she went for the regular hide rather than the shed box. Is there any tricks for making the snake more aware of the shed box?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

She'll know its there, once she can have a proper soak in a dish of water she'll shed fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

I would put it in the cold side and you can mist the tank lightly twice a day to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Do not mist twice a day. If you must, mist once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

I have been thinking of getting another hide. I have the one half and half and she keeps on either side happy enough but I know it is better for thermo-regulation. I put the shed box in today but she went for the regular hide rather than the shed box. Is there any tricks for making the snake more aware of the shed box?

reverse the hide locations to see if the snake uses the new one!
    also, avoid handling the snake during the shedding cycle as you don't want to break the old skin before it's due to shed.
    the snake will find the wet hide if it feels it is not hydrated enough to shed properly.

lalee17 wrote: »
    Do not mist twice a day. If you must, mist once a day.

What's wrong with misting lightly twice or even three times a days? I've kept and produced hundreds of corns and this is what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

When I had my Indian Trinket Snake (a type of rat snake) I had alot of problems with her not shedding properly until someone more experienced than me told me to me cut off the end of a large coke etc. bottle, colour it in black permanant marker (to make it dark), cut a 'snake sized' entrance in it and place it over the water dish on the hot side of the enclosure. It worked a treat, everytime my snake would need to shed she would get into its water bowl and soak herself, plus she felt safe as it was nice and dark. After this tip I had a snake with lovely shiny skin and bolder markings and best of all it cost me nothing!!!:)

lrushe wrote: »
    When I had my Indian Trinket Snake (a type of rat snake) I had alot of problems with her not shedding properly until someone more experienced than me told me to me cut off the end of a large coke etc. bottle, colour it in black permanant marker (to make it dark), cut a 'snake sized' entrance in it and place it over the water dish on the hot side of the enclosure. It worked a treat, everytime my snake would need to shed she would get into its water bowl and soak herself, plus she felt safe as it was nice and dark. After this tip I had a snake with lovely shiny skin and bolder markings and best of all it cost me nothing!!!:)

That still doesn't mean misting a viv won't work,if the viv and setup is correct. I humid hide made with a lunch box works great too,my corns feel that comfortable in them they lay eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

SCI wrote: »
    That still doesn't mean misting a viv won't work,if the viv and setup is correct. I humid hide made with a lunch box works great too,my corns feel that comfortable in them they lay eggs.

Where did I say anything about misting??? My post was a cheap tip for the OP to help with shedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Reaper of Mind

Heya everyone,
    A while ago at this stage but she found the shed box alright and that. She didn't shed entirely but the bit at the end was quite loose and a bit of soaking helped with that. Thank for the advice. :)

Advertisement