Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

economic model of government to get us out of this mess

Options
  • 27-01-2010 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

in terms of how a government spends money available to it, to opposite ideas have come about.

1) Conservatism: Where the government will spend very little money on services giving more control to private firms however it will also reduce tax percentages.

2) Tax and Spend obviously the opposite, where a government takes control of a vast number of things spending money on public services, while increasing tax to pay for it.

Now my question is, what system do you think will get Ireland out of the debt problem it is in today, taxing less but doing much less or spending on many projects and taxing us for it

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

smegmar wrote: »
    in terms of how a government spends money available to it, to opposite ideas have come about.

1) Conservatism: Where the government will spend very little money on services giving more control to private firms however it will also reduce tax percentages.

2) Tax and Spend obviously the opposite, where a government takes control of a vast number of things spending money on public services, while increasing tax to pay for it.

Now my question is, what system do you think will get Ireland out of the debt problem it is in today, taxing less but doing much less or spending on many projects and taxing us for it
    as long as i don't see number 1 fully introduced i'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

eh is this suposed to be in after hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved from After Hours.

If I have moved it to the wrong forum, apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

smegmar wrote: »

you just somewhat described Austrian (#1) and Keynesian (#2) economic approaches

were pursuing (being dragged) to the Austrian model (tho we also have the worst parts of #2), simply because we are so deep in **** theres no money to attempt a Keynesian approach (like US and UK) we decided to have stimuluses during a boom and have no money left in piggybanks

and were tied to euro which is run by conservative (and thankfully sensible) europeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

This post has been deleted.

well put

some people (David McW) think that by leaving euro we can somehow walk away from all the debt, never mind that no one would lend to us for few years if we default (as has happened to other coutries who did so) and with no debt money coming in the welfare and PS costs would be addressed very sharply and very quickly (ie. a huge overnight cut to balance the books) or/and these people would be paid in a "zimdollar" type currency

and by having own currency we can just print more money, ignoring the fact that we are not US (reserve currency) or UK (larger more self sufficient economy)

i think @donegalfella would agree that the best model of government to get us out of this mess would be for them to stop mucking around so much (NAMA ahem) in economy and to concentrate on their jobs and let the markets sort it out

Advertisement